News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Count down to Torrey
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »
I'm surprised that Torrey is being sold as the first muni to host an Open.  Seems like a stretch even if true.  I'm predicting this will be the greatest US Open in modern times and would like to hear other predictions about where the course will shine and/or fail.  I can't wait.  Any reports from those who have recently visited would also be appreciated.

A link to an article written by the excellent golf writer Heather Wood..  http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/news/news.asp?ID=4185
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:23:09 AM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kavanaugh

Re: Count down to Torrey
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:29:57 AM »
Will Tiger put the 5 wood in the bad and drop the 2 iron?  Has any par four ever played as long as the 12th if the wind blows at all?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:00:55 AM »
I predict that no matter what happens you will consider it the greatest open in modern times.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
I predict that no matter what happens you will consider it the greatest open in modern times.

It is going to be tough to beat the drama of Tom Meeks putting Payne Stewart on the clock at Olympic.  I'm seeing Woods blowing out his knee and doing a Hogan like limp into victory.  While the 18th may be ugly it does produce some fine theater.

Where is the bar currently set for greatest US Open in modern times?  I refrain from saying greatest Open to keep the Brits off my bum.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:13:09 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:15:50 AM »
Greatest modern US Open

1999 US Open at Pinehurst

down to the final putt
everybody was there

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:17:15 AM »
I tried to get on the standby list yesterday; there were 45 names in front of me. The Starter said there were 82 people on the porch waiting for the early out times before 7:00am. The course closes Wed. and there are tournaments Sun., Mon., and Tues, so I'll have to get lucky tomorrow or Sat. if I want to play it.

I took a quick stroll around the 18th and the rough is very short just off the fairway. Deeper in it is a mixture of rye and poa anna, quite lush and around 5" deep; didn't get the opportunity to hack one out though. The fairways are the best they have ever been; carts have been relagated to the new continuous path since last summer.  

The tents have all been errected and the 10th of the North converted to a driving range. They even spruced up the facade on the clubhouse giving it a Tudor look. Also, everyone here can breathe  a sigh of relief, the fountain on 18 has been turned off.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:19:09 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:19:27 AM »
Pete,

What is the attitude of the locals?  Do most of your golfing friends plan on attending or avoiding?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:21:59 AM »
Pete,

What is the attitude of the locals?  Do most of your golfing friends plan on attending or avoiding?

Yes. ;D

Some can't be bothered, some are marshalling like myself. It will be a zoo with double the amount of spectators usually there for the Buick (40,000 per day).
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:23:59 AM »
Where are you marshaling and don't I recal a picture of you once during some other major?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 09:31:27 AM »
I just checked out Bodog, where thank God I do not have an account, and Sergio is 25 to 1 to win...I like it.

http://www.bodoglife.com/sports-betting/golf-futures.jsp

Tim Bert

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:33:32 AM »
Does it also qualify if Tiger rips the field a new one and wins by 5 or more strokes?  I'd at least like a few qualifiers placed on what is required for you to declare your prediction to be true post-round.

This feels a lot like the trip to Erin Hills.  I'm not saying it isn't a great course because I haven't played it.  I'm just saying most of us could have predicted the general outcome of your review before you wrote it.  ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 09:38:03 AM »
Does it also qualify if Tiger rips the field a new one and wins by 5 or more strokes?  I'd at least like a few qualifiers placed on what is required for you to declare your prediction to be true post-round.

This feels a lot like the trip to Erin Hills.  I'm not saying it isn't a great course because I haven't played it.  I'm just saying most of us could have predicted the general outcome of your review before you wrote it.  ;)

For me to be correct it will clearly be the greatest US Open of modern times...More than one grown man will cry.  Tiger blowing away the field would be a snooze fest.

Jason Connor

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 09:40:48 AM »
Greatest U.S. Opens to me:

And 1997.  In 1997 you had all 4 players in the final two groups tied on the back nine on Sunday: two Americans (Lehman & Maggert), a Brit (Monty), and a South African (Els).

Great theatre.  Plus the 17th and 18th green were right beside each other (Congressional since changed) and Monty on 18 waited for Lehman to putt on 17, thereby icing himself and letting the win slip to Els.

My favorite U.S. Open.
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Brad Klein

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 09:53:10 AM »
For drama and importance,

1913, Ouimet at TCC
1923, Jones at Inwood
1951, Hogan at Oakland Hills
1955, Fleck over Hogan at Olympic Club
1960, Palmer at Cherry Hills
1966, Casper at Olympic Club
1982, Watson at Pebble Beach
1986, Floyd at Shinnecock Hills
1999, Stewart at Pinehurst No. 2

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 10:00:44 AM »

1913, Ouimet at TCC
1923, Jones at Inwood

Thank you Brad for your perspective.  Here is a great link to the championship that show who won and what course was played.  I still remember Fuzzy winning at Winged Foot in 84 but that may have as much to do with him being a home town boy so to speak.  http://www.worldgolf.com/golf-history/us-upen-golf-champions-through-history-2295.htm
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:15:40 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Tim Bert

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 10:10:58 AM »
If I cry, I will yield to your prediction. No questions asked!

Ian Larson

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
Ill be at Torrey and Royal Birkdale volunteering mowing or raking bunkers Ill be sure to take alot of pictures from inside the ropes and post them.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 10:25:15 AM »
I don't recall any us open beating Shinnecock's most recent, for golf drama. From the whining and the bitching of the players to the putting display from the victor.
 As predicted by TePaul, when Goosen had to play away from the green, (due to the firmness) and was able to get up and down for par, it highlighted golf's multi-dimensionality. As opposed to the majority of one dimensional setups the USGA had gotten in such a rut, presenting.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Phil Benedict

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »

1913, Ouimet at TCC
1923, Jones at Inwood

I think Johnny Miller at Oakmont in '73 is a pretty big deal.  Just about the best round of golf ever played in a major. 

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »
Where are you marshaling and don't I recal a picture of you once during some other major?

I'll be on #8 with the Balboa Park crew.

Ahh, my 15 minutes of fame, under Calc's armpit at the 89 British Open.

tlavin

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »
One can only hope for drama and not a repeat of some one-hit wonder like Cabrera or Ogilvy.  The golf course is in one of the most amazing communities in America, on a spectacular piece of property, and yet, it is mostly a narcolepsy-inducing experience.  Everything changes, of course, when the US Open trophy is involved, but if I were forced to predict, I think we'll have a relatively quiet and forgettable championship.  Often wrong, never in doubt.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
Jaka,

Can you please explain how this cheerfest is any different than the Tiger threads which you have yelled at me about?
 :P

Don't answer, the double standards are back!

If Tiger is healthy, Anthony Kim does not wilt and Phil gets some Mojo, I think it will be very interesting.

To help you out on your cheerfest thread, I think it would be classic if that architecturally misplaced pond on 18 helps determine the winner.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »
I have attempted to instill architectural topics into this thread by so much as even asking if Tiger will put the 5 wood into play because of the set up of the course.  I am leaning to more of a necro in place of a narco stance when comparing the architecture of Torrey against other past championship courses.  If the following quote from the super is true the course will be anything but boring. 

This is Woodward’s first time working with the USGA and leading the charge for a U.S. Open. He led preparations for the Buick Open, but the stakes are higher now.

“For the Buick Open, the greens on the South Course were 11 on the Stimpmeter,” he says. “For this one, they will start at 12 to 12.5 and as they firm up they will get close to 13.”

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »
I am predicting a snoozefest and won't bother making arrangements to watch.

I agree that '99 at Pinehurst was the best Open in recent years.  Though I enjoyed looking at the Shinny the last time it came there. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
I can't seem to recall, but are they playing 18 as a 5 or a 4?  Not that it should matter much, but I think these guys will press more if its a par 4 and they feel they at least need to give it a go to save such.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back