News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Count down to Torrey
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 11:05:31 AM »

I am predicting a snoozefest and won't bother making arrangements to watch.

I would love to know why the man who I identify with believing golf should be a game for the people would avoid a US Open held at a muni.  Have you played Torrey and if so what did you find so boring if you can imagine any typical US Open set up with lightning fast greens?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
Kalen - 18 will be a 5.  They have a 578 tee which will make it a three shotter for most - not so much due to distance but due to also how tight it will be - any shot in rough means automatic layup - but USGA has also said they plan to move up that tee for at least one of the rounds.  We'll see how it goes.

I think it's going to be fascinating to watch and I damn well will use my Father's Day exemption on TV viewing for this!  We've seen how it plays in the annual PGA Tour event, and those are usually pretty darn exciting.  How will it work under US Open conditions?  Who knows?  By I for one am quite interested to find out.

TH

Eric Smith

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
I expect Torrey Pines will deliver. 

Watching a US Open played in California is kind of a unique brand of a US Open to me.  There's a different feel in the look of the tournaments on tv as compared to the others.

As a fan, I'm probably a bit California biased.  I love the coast of California.  My mom's from the bay area, so I've been going there all of my life to visit family.  My tastes were most likely influenced to some degree back in 1992 at Pebble Beach, my first time at a US Open, which made an indelible impression.

1998 at Olympic also stands out in my mind.  Payne was/is my favorite player ever and that US Open, though he didn't win, was really fun to watch;  Especially with sexy Olympic Club splashed all over the tv screen.

I've never seen Torrey Pines in person.  It is my hope that when it's said and done, that this US Open will cement in our minds a memorable championship and that maybe more golfers will want to go to San Diego, like they did and still do in Monterey, to play a US Open golf course.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 11:24:08 AM »
Kalen - 18 will be a 5.  They have a 578 tee which will make it a three shotter for most - not so much due to distance but due to also how tight it will be - any shot in rough means automatic layup - but USGA has also said they plan to move up that tee for at least one of the rounds.  We'll see how it goes.

I think it's going to be fascinating to watch and I damn well will use my Father's Day exemption on TV viewing for this!  We've seen how it plays in the annual PGA Tour event, and those are usually pretty darn exciting.  How will it work under US Open conditions?  Who knows?  By I for one am quite interested to find out.

TH

Thanks Tom,

I'm with you on this one as well.  I'm not a fan of Torrey per se, but no doubt one could do worse in choosing a US Open venue.  Many on here claim they won't tune in, and quite frankly I don't get it.  Both Tiger and Phil have a long resume of success at this course and I'm not sure why one wouldn't want to watch a potential US Open shootout between these guys?

And with potential wildcards like Sergio and Anthony Kim playing well, it seems it would be compelling enough to want to tune in, despite its being held at Torrey.  San Diego is a fantastic area and I think its good for them to get an event of this magnitude.  I'll be tuning in to watch the golf as well as to see what they will do with the course.

And if we're lucky we may even get a Petey sighting on #8.  ;D  Perhaps I'll alert NBC that Adam Corrolla will be marashalling a hole this year and that'll get the cameras turned that way.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:26:26 AM by Kalen Braley »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 11:27:36 AM »
Well, I watch the USOpen no matter where it's played; the site is not why I watch.  But I too don't get why for those for whom the choice is site-driven this one would make them stay away... heck if only for curiousity I'd think one would want to watch.  But if one also doesn't like the penal/hit it here or else style that the US Open requires, then one won't watch no matter what the site is.  So I don't believe this is about Torrey Pines really.  But those who think this way can and will have their say, I'm sure.   ;)

But yes, the best draw of all will be trying to win the "Where's Pete?" contest.

;D

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
I think I will cheer for Goydos to win so that Feinstein can write a new book and piss off Jaka.  8)

Kirk Gill

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »
I played Torrey last fall, and thought it was a very difficult course. It did not ooze personality, but was beautiful. I'm from Colorado, and so the feel of hitting off of those fairways (spongy) and putting on those greens (very difficult for me to read, personally) was very new. My playing partner (a much better golfer than I) was really thrown by those greens, and didn't make a putt of any distance the entire round, something that I am used to, but something that really got in his head. Yet I've read many a post on here that say how pedestrian the greens are there. I guess I just don't get out enough. It was most interesting to see the new tees they were putting in for the U.S. Open. Those guys truly do play a game with which I am not familiar. The rough wasn't long, but still made it very difficult to get good contact for any kind of longer shot. I will also say that the starter berated some folks in a very humorous manner, and also told me in confidence that one member of the twosome that was part of our group was a kingpin in the opium trade, and to be very careful in speaking to him. In fact, the man turned out to be a retired Westinghouse engineer, but still, it added some spice to the round.......... :)
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 11:46:06 AM »
1995- SH- Corey Pavin

A favorite of mine.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »
I played Torrey last fall, and thought it was a very difficult course. It did not ooze personality, but was beautiful. I'm from Colorado, and so the feel of hitting off of those fairways (spongy) and putting on those greens (very difficult for me to read, personally) was very new. My playing partner (a much better golfer than I) was really thrown by those greens, and didn't make a putt of any distance the entire round, something that I am used to, but something that really got in his head. Yet I've read many a post on here that say how pedestrian the greens are there. I guess I just don't get out enough. It was most interesting to see the new tees they were putting in for the U.S. Open. Those guys truly do play a game with which I am not familiar. The rough wasn't long, but still made it very difficult to get good contact for any kind of longer shot. I will also say that the starter berated some folks in a very humorous manner, and also told me in confidence that one member of the twosome that was part of our group was a kingpin in the opium trade, and to be very careful in speaking to him. In fact, the man turned out to be a retired Westinghouse engineer, but still, it added some spice to the round.......... :)

Kirk,

That sounds very much like my experience with the exception that the ground was firm and the greens were fast.  I have often thought that Torrey has the most international play of any course in the US.  I was lucky enough to play the first round of my life with an African American gentleman and Asian woman.  We stopped on the third tee and conversed with a group from Norway.  I felt like I was on Sesame Street.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008, 11:49:45 AM »
1995- SH- Corey Pavin

A favorite of mine.

Back when I had a 4 wood I thought about Corey every time I pulled the club from the bag.  That was a great one.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 11:52:44 AM »
IMO chances are good Tiger strikes out at Torrey.  He hasn't played competitive golf for a month now, and won't for some time still.  His knee is so bad, he is limping on it, and can't hit shots yet.  Only putting and chipping. 

Another 2006 performance from him will not surprise me. 

Kirk Gill

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 11:53:46 AM »
John, the fairways were fast and bouncy, but they just had a feel, hitting off them, as if the ground was spongy. Like a crusty old sponge before you wet it down.......I'm not sure I'm making any sense here.

What I really enjoyed about the two Chinese gentlemen we played with was the fact that they had a regular weekly round on the North course, but on the day we went the North was closed for a ladies tournament, so they had to settle for playing the South. They were playing for cash, and I loved the way they mocked each other after every bad shot. Great company.
                             -Don Barzini

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2008, 11:57:48 AM »
John, the fairways were fast and bouncy, but they just had a feel, hitting off them, as if the ground was spongy. Like a crusty old sponge before you wet it down.......I'm not sure I'm making any sense here.

What I really enjoyed about the two Chinese gentlemen we played with was the fact that they had a regular weekly round on the North course, but on the day we went the North was closed for a ladies tournament, so they had to settle for playing the South. They were playing for cash, and I loved the way they mocked each other after every bad shot. Great company.

Kirk,

Have you ever played on dormant zoysia?  I see it as very close to firm kikyu.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »

No sir, I haven't. I am almost certainly wrong on this, but that is a low-altitude, coastal grass, for the most part, yes? I don't get down off of the mountain too often.
                             -Don Barzini

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 12:06:49 PM »

No sir, I haven't. I am almost certainly wrong on this, but that is a low-altitude, coastal grass, for the most part, yes? I don't get down off of the mountain too often.

Zoysia would grow in an armpit, which explains its popularity in Southern Illinois.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 05:11:47 PM »
My greatest open was Nicklaus and Watson at Pebble with Watson's unbelievable chip in on 17.
How about Tiger and Phil coming up 18 at Torrey with Phil and Tiger even. Phil goes for the green in two and .........dumps it in Devlin's Billabong. Tiger, limping like Hogan at Riviera, lays up and wins, ever labeling Torrey as Tiger's Alley. :D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

wsmorrison

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 07:19:09 PM »
For drama and importance,

1913, Ouimet at TCC
1923, Jones at Inwood
1951, Hogan at Oakland Hills
1955, Fleck over Hogan at Olympic Club
1960, Palmer at Cherry Hills
1966, Casper at Olympic Club
1982, Watson at Pebble Beach
1986, Floyd at Shinnecock Hills
1999, Stewart at Pinehurst No. 2

What about Hogan's win at Merion in 1950?  Was there less drama there than his win in 1951?  Snead's collapse and Nelson's long iron play at Philadelphia Country Club in 1939 was an Open to consider as well. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:12:42 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 04:05:23 AM »
One can only hope for drama and not a repeat of some one-hit wonder like Cabrera or Ogilvy.  The golf course is in one of the most amazing communities in America, on a spectacular piece of property, and yet, it is mostly a narcolepsy-inducing experience.  Everything changes, of course, when the US Open trophy is involved, but if I were forced to predict, I think we'll have a relatively quiet and forgettable championship.  Often wrong, never in doubt.
A little early to be writing either Ogilvy (who, let's not forget, also has one of the WGC events to his name) or Cabrera off as one hit wonders, I think.

I'm afraid I will not be watching much of a tournament where the final groups are finishing at 3 in the morning.  Particularly not on the final day with the honour of a nation to defend the next day at Lundin Links.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chris Kane

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 06:13:23 AM »
A little early to be writing either Ogilvy (who, let's not forget, also has one of the WGC events to his name) or Cabrera off as one hit wonders, I think.
Amen.  A bit harsh to describe the world #6 as a one hit wonder, especially given he's won two WGC events as well.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 08:28:19 AM »
Having never played Torrey, what should Mike Davis and the USGA be afraid of, from a setup perspective.  At SH, they let the greens die, at OF there was no wind and the course played a little easier than the USGA hoped. I’m not agreeing with their setup logic, but this group knows the course and the area so well, can you tell me what the USGA will look for (and defend against) in mid June at Torrey? 

Tim Bert

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 08:34:46 AM »
I thought about what it would take for me to cry at the result.

1. ______ ' s father passes away in an untimely manner Saturday night or early Sunday monrning and ______ is able to forge out a Father's Day vistory in honor of dad. (Obviously not rooting for this outcome.)

2. Tiger is injured in an obviously career-threatening manner on the back nine and is able to pull through the angst and pain for 2 hours to finish up his career capping major victory (not rooting for this one either.)

3. Brandt Snedeker comes back from his heart-breaking roller-coaster performance Sunday at the Master's to come from behind on Sunday and win the US Open by one stroke.

4. There's absolutely no way and outcome involving an 18-hole playoff on Monday while I'm at work makes me cry.

Probably a few others, but that's what came to mind last night.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »

I will never forget ... the last time I was at Torrey ... I was with Barney.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Sean_A

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2008, 10:06:53 AM »

I am predicting a snoozefest and won't bother making arrangements to watch.

I would love to know why the man who I identify with believing golf should be a game for the people would avoid a US Open held at a muni.  Have you played Torrey and if so what did you find so boring if you can imagine any typical US Open set up with lightning fast greens?

John

Its true that I believe the backbone of the game is the publinxer and this has next to nothing to with the USGA.  Whether or not the Open is held at a muni is beside the point.  Its a USGA championship and I expect that organization will stick true to form.  In fact, I wish the USGA would stop using public courses for Opens.  So far as I can tell, all that organization manages to do is justify the jacking up of prices when they leave town and this in turns gives permission to Pebble and Pinehurst to the same (in this case - usually its one of these two which start the jacking) and this in turn starts a price creep for other local courses.  I think the Open will be a snoozefest because most US Opens are snoozefests. 

No, I haven't played Torrey and I have no desire to do so.  There are far too many courses I am interested in to even give Torrey a second thought.  I only have so much time and money that can be allotted to a game.  This doesn't include paying extra or hassling friends to watch the Open.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2008, 01:20:36 AM »
I'm surprised that Torrey is being sold as the first muni to host an Open.  Seems like a stretch even if true.  I'm predicting this will be the greatest US Open in modern times and would like to hear other predictions about where the course will shine and/or fail.  I can't wait.  Any reports from those who have recently visited would also be appreciated.

A link to an article written by the excellent golf writer Heather Wood..  http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/news/news.asp?ID=4185

I was wondering when I first said this would be the greatest US Open in modern times.  Looks like about a month ago.  Everything is in place.

John Moore II

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 01:32:18 AM »
Kav--It depends on what great is. I would like to see Tiger and the guys chasing him coming right down to 18. Then, Tiger, limping and gasping up the 18th fairway, knocks his second to 5 feet for the win. But if he runs away with it, like is possible, it will be as boring as any of the rest of them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back