News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Turnberry and its history
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:36:15 AM »
Philip MacKenzie Ross redesigned this from a second world war airfield in 1946... But the course it replaced had been redesigned in the early 20's, also after the land had been requisitioned by the Ministry of Defence, this time for the First World War.

I seem to remember hearing that this course (the one between the wars) was also a very good to great golf course.

Who was responsible for it and do we have any information on it?

Thanks

Rich Goodale

Re: Turnberry and its history
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:48:08 AM »
Ally

There was a great thread a year or two ago on this in which Mark Bourgeois contibuted a lot of information, including plans.  Until you find it through the auspices of the Crack GCA Search Engine, let me offer the following.  The pre-war course was largely Major CK Hutchinson (1938), and contrary to urban legend, very little of the golf course was used for the WWII runway (which adjoins the current course).  In fact, Mackenzie Ross's redo was pretty much laid over the template of Hutchinson's routing.  I have more in my World Atlas of Golf files, if I can ever find them......

Rich

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:55:04 AM »
Thanks Rich,

I'll have a look through the search engine...

I remember reading of CK's Hutchinson's involvement but thanks for confirming it was 1938... I am interested in the redesign after the first world war (early 20's) when the entire place was flattened apparently... Perhaps this redesign wasn't thought much of though and it was Hutchinsons that I was recalling...

EDIT - Found Mark's thread... There is no word of the First World War interruptions and immediate redesign... Perhaps I am mistaken but I will search on...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:38:12 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:47:37 AM »
Ally

As I remember, the WWI (post-Great War) changes to the original Fernie design were not great (not a lot of disruption, as in WWII) but my memory could be playing tricks with me.

Rich

Gary Slatter

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »
I think Greg Norman is involved now, and much more after the Open in July. I sense some concern but the new owner ....
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back