News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

40 Projects in Michigan, really?
« on: May 14, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »
Somehow in the past I signed myself up for a newsletter from GolfConstructionsNews.com.  About once a week I get an email telling me all (or at least some) of the new course developments in the country. 

Today I got and email saying:

"Dear chip,

golfconstructionnews.com is tracking over 40 new or proposed projects in the state of Michigan. etc..."

Can that really be true....40! 

Doesn't sound like an economy in a recession or that golf course development is hurting to me...

Phil_the_Author

Re: 40 Projects in Michigan, really?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 07:54:15 PM »
Chip, could the answer lie in the words "or proposed?"

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:02:32 PM »
They also might have a very low threshold for what counts as a project -- like  a bunker renovation plan.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »
Philip-  You are probably correct, the "proposed" part is probably the bloated aspect...

Brad- The website list "remodels" as separate projects...

Even with 40 proposed, that seems to be a lot of projects in a state that doesn't have a year long playing season and is supposedly losing jobs...I am not trying to make any political statements...just wondering about all the new courses for MI

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »
You sure it wasn't labelled "40 course closings?" That would be more likely for Michigan.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
Brad- My point exactly

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »
You sure it wasn't labeled "40 course closings?" That would be more likely for Michigan.

Ouch.   :o

Played Crystal Downs, Kingsley Club, Arcadian Bluffs, and Forest Dunes last July.  AB was #4.  There is a ton of really good golf in that area.  I am a big fan of Michigan golf, it would be tough to see a lot of closings.

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 08:53:34 PM »
Bill,

there are three tons of great courses up there, including excellent public ones. The problem is that there's also 50 tons of surplus manure and cow feed as well.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 09:49:48 PM »
Bill,

there are three tons of great courses up there, including excellent public ones. The problem is that there's also 50 tons of surplus manure and cow feed as well.

Hopefully it will be the architecturally deficient, boring ones that will close.

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »
You sure it wasn't labeled "40 course closings?" That would be more likely for Michigan.

Ouch.   :o

Played Crystal Downs, Kingsley Club, Arcadian Bluffs, and Forest Dunes last July.  AB was #4.  There is a ton of really good golf in that area.  I am a big fan of Michigan golf, it would be tough to see a lot of closings.

I wouldnt worry much about any of those 4 closing (maybe FD).

I am SHOCKED  :o there are 40 projects, even if they are proposed, in michigan.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 10:22:16 PM »
Loved Forest Dunes but understand there are financial problems including union affiliation / ownership.  Terrific golf course.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 10:35:48 PM »
The problem with those publications is that once somebody mentions in public that they are thinking about building a course, it gets listed, and nothing EVER gets taken off the list.

I actually went and looked at a potential new project in Michigan yesterday.  It is the ONLY one I know of north of Detroit and Grand Rapids that might actually get built in the next three years, and the money is not in place for it yet.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 10:54:06 PM »
Tom-

That assessment sounds more like what I was thinking.  I had assumed the publication/email was a bit misleading with its overly aggressive numbers.

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »
The problem with those publications is that once somebody mentions in public that they are thinking about building a course, it gets listed, and nothing EVER gets taken off the list.

I actually went and looked at a potential new project in Michigan yesterday.  It is the ONLY one I know of north of Detroit and Grand Rapids that might actually get built in the next three years, and the money is not in place for it yet.

I didnt think that you built courses in NoMI ;D ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back