News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: When did Ross stop imagining?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 04:27:12 PM »
MJF,

could you have been looking at those holes through "Ross Colored Glasses?" ;D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

michael j fay

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 04:39:20 PM »
Jeff:

There is definately some affinity there. I have to admit that I am every bit as enthusiastic about AWT, Dr. Mac, Walter Travis, Willie Park Jr., William Flynn, numerous Architects that practiced mostly in England and Scotland and especially Harry Colt.

I see very little repitetion among any of these designers. I feel that they were in the "follow the movement of the land" school.

JNagle

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 05:03:37 PM »
Templates?  Yes, we have seen some.  There are a number of internal features to some of DJR greens that we can pick up on various courses.  We catogorize them as center prowl, horse-shoe (center swale), double-plateau (not like Raynor), punch-bowl (yes he did them, I was just on one yesterday at Springfield C.C. in Ohio), diagonal swale, center s-curving ridge .... and others.  They are not so formulaic as Raynor and they rarely were used just as par 4's, 3's or 5's.  They were used in varying situations.   The 7th at Bedford matches many of the features of the 10th and 12th at Congress Lake and is similar to the 13th at Longmeadow. 

As for bunkers, it is hard to say Ross had one particular style.  In the last two days I was at the C.C. of Buffalo and Springfield C.C. in Ohio.  CC of B has bunkers with many capes and bays with varying undulations across the faces.  Some of the bunkers are predominantly grass-faced and  others are flashed.  Springfield bunkers are relatively shallow and were primarily grass faced.  All of the bunkers at LuLu were grass faced.  His drawings and ultimately photos reveal great variety in his bunkers, sometimes on the same course.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back