News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Just how good is Bandon Dunes ?
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »
One weird hole does not damn a golf course, not in my world.

;D

I meant OVERALL critiques, summaries.  Those in the negative quite got.  But heck, any individual hole?  Fire away.

Strange day agreeing with JK so much... but I to am bummed at the thought of any changes to 14 - man I loved it just how it was.

TH
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:37:24 PM by Tom Huckaby »

David Stamm

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 04:36:11 PM »
On my next trip I doubt I will play Trails because of the changes to the 14th.  Making a green easier on a short par four because somebody made a bogey and adding a tram because someone died is just too much for me.  When stepped pricing is created to fill tee sheets you will see Trails as not much more than a loss leader.

What happened? Fill me in.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
Some guy whose time was up died on the walk from 13 to 14 so now the round is ruined by the addition of a unsightful tram.  I refused to ride in the thing and had to tolerate my caddie begging to hop on.  I didn't need or want the added drama.  I think the changes to the green are well documented.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 04:46:22 PM »
BD is way overrated IMO.  No doubt it went up in the rankings after PD was built.  Trails is so much better than BD.  BD has too many average holes.

Pac Dunes is still the best, but only by a hair over Trails.  BD doesn't even come close.

PD = 5
BT = 4
BD = 1

Jed Peters

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »
BD is way overrated IMO. 

Pac Dunes is still the best, but only by a hair over Trails.  BD doesn't even come close.

PD = 5
BT = 4
BD = 1

I like how you think!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:49:44 PM by Jed Peters »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
BD is way overrated IMO.  No doubt it went up in the rankings after PD was built.  Trails is so much better than BD.  BD has too many average holes.

PD = 5
BT = 4
BD = 1

Chip - that's all fine and dandy, we all have our opinions....

But it is COMPLETELY untrue that Bandon Dunes rose in the rankings after Pacific Dunes was built.  The truth is it dropped, and rather significantly - the degree depending on which ranking is considered.

TH

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »
Tom-

Fair enough....I can't say I have a year by year Golf Magazine ranking sitting beside me.  My assumption was that BD showed up on the ranking list after it was built, as unique courses like that do after they are first built, and then BD continued to rise (maybe at a faster rate) after PD was completed.  I would have to go back and look at the past 5-6 Golf Magazine rankings side by side though...Let me go look...

Chip

Matt_Ward

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
Terry Lavin:

Interesting comment you made concerning Black Mesa not being rated higher that it is. Keep in mind years ago the Digest panel had Cypress Point rated in its second fifty of courses if my memory serves - not its a top five finisher.

The idea that because a course is not rated NOW, is somehow an admission of its supposed inferiority is not true at all -- more likely it's the inability of existing raters to see what's there now and to a lesser extent the ever shifting variable of overall course preferences and tastes.

Terry, you don't know what you are missing -- unfortunately too many people on GCA follow the celebrity architect tap dancing maneuver and fail to realize that other talented individuals do exist who can design superlative layouts. I enjoyed your last line ... "I'll probably entitle the thread, "Finally made it to Black Mesa!!!!!!!!" -- be eager to read your comments after playing there.

Pete Lavalee:

Are you truly serious in throwing forward the tee sheet argument as a determining factor in a course's overall stature regarding its design ? If that's the case I can mention Van Cordlandt Park in NYC as a perfect case study on a facility with a crowded tee sheet.

Bandon Dunes has a superb story to tell and allow me to REITERATE what was said at the outset -- I agree w Ron Whitten that it's a very good golf course but if you think the setting plays no role in accentuating what's there then you must be playing in a self-absorbed cocoon.

Hey Pete -- help me with something -- how utterly plain jane vanilla are the green contours at Bandon Dunes -- ditto the off-green contoured areas for chipping and pitching the ball. I still like the course for the tee shot and approach play elements you see on a few of the holes but if you are seriously debating with me what is the better overall course -- Black Mesa or Bandon Dunes, the former wins by a margin 9-1 rounds played.

Patrick Glynn:

To throw Torrey Pines / South into the mix and say Bandon Dunes is better is NOT an issue at all to me and likely others. How Torrey Pines / South is rated AT ALL astounds me but it proves the point that TV exposure via the PGA Tour can play such a leading role why that's the case.

Huck:

Wake up my good friend -- the sequel caused people to go to the facility even more than the original. I don't doubt the original is a very good golf course -- please make sure you keep that firmly in mind on any post follow-up comments you make. However, the gist of Bandon Dunes is what Ron Whitten indicated in his review. The course has ordinary green contours and if you size it up versus Pac Dunes the distinction between them is like night and day. Bandon does have length and at different times there are a few holes of note that are quite good -- very good in fact (see my previous comments on #4 through #6 as a clear example).

Huck, to paraphrase the ole Reggie Jackson quote from his days with the Yankees ... (Pac Dunes) is the stir that mixes the drink at the Bandon Dunes Resort. In my mind, if Bandon Dunes were a solitary golf course the immense fanfare tied to the place would be far less so. Bandon would no doubt still get people to go there but Keiser was extremely smart in making sure that his second course would be designed by someone else and that the motif of the sequel course would be totally different from what the original provides.

If people are truly honest and asked what was the reason they went to Bandon to start with it would be to play Pac Dunes first and foremost. Again, hold the two courses side-to-side and look at the details of the design with the two of them and Pac Dunes wins going away. Bandon Dunes is well done but when we are talking about the elite of elite public courses in the USA I see it as a top 100 candidate but more towards the second fifty than the first half.

One last item -- isolation is a neat thing for the real die-hards enthralled with course designs. They will visit such places and often without realizing it will throw a few more total rating points into the equation.

Final comment -- I never said that off-course views should not count for something. They just should not be the be/all end/all for the overall assessment of the course itself. In my mind, too many raters substitute the locale / setting as the primary ingredient when the actual design itself should be the first among equals.

Cary L:

Quick question since you have traveled a good bit -- do you see all three courses at Bandon being among the top ten public in the USA you have ever played ?

If not -- then where would you place each of them?

Since you have been at Black Mesa and have championed the qualities of Lakota Canyon how do you stack up the NM and CO courses against the trio at Bandon?

Charlie Dusic:

Bandon Dunes the equivalent in terms of design greatness with The Ocean Course ?

With all due respect ...

Surely you jest.

Be more than happy to have a detailed analysis of hole-by-hole or by categories of respective holes. The climax at Kiawah is miles beyond what you see at Bandon.

Tim Pitner:

Good question.

Simply put -- Black Mesa is simply underrated by a great many people IMHO. Part of that issue will be resolved if and when a second course of equal or possibly even greater stature is created at the Santa Fe-based facility. Pac Dunes drives the fanfare at Bandon -- the original course benefits from a spillover effect.

Like I said -- and I repeat again - the Kidd layout is a very good golf course but the totality of what's there is far less than others that I see as being better overall layouts -- Black Mesa is one of them -- ditto what Mike DeVries did with Greywalls in Marquette, MI.

Tim, just review the green details (lack thereof) that Kidd provides at Bandon. There's little real distinction and frankly I was hoping for a good bit more. I don't mean to advocate green contours that are extremely demanding given the wind factor that always operates there, but the details in and around the putting surfces at the original 18 are rather benign and I am being very kind / gracious in saying that.

People need to realize that I am not suggesting the original 18 is a bad course or one not worth the time to play when there. I just think that when people believe the original 18 is in the pantheon of the nation's extreme elite (top 25) they are inflating the rightful hype tied tp Pac Dunes and throwing over a spill-over effect to the other layouts there.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »
I get to join this discussion after my initial visit to the resort in November  :D --3 days of golf, please be kind weather gods-- and I will be splitting my rounds as follows:

Pacific: 2
B. Dunes: 2
B. Trails: 1

If I had more daylight, the Sheep Ranch would be entering the equation.

Naturally, as soon as Old MacDonald opens, I'll be relegated to the sidelines once again. :'(

Any tips for a first-time visitor?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:08:52 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2008, 05:08:51 PM »
Huck:

Wake up my good friend -- the sequel caused people to go to the facility even more than the original. I don't doubt the original is a very good golf course -- please make sure you keep that firmly in mind on any post follow-up comments you make. However, the gist of Bandon Dunes is what Ron Whitten indicated in his review. The course has ordinary green contours and if you size it up versus Pac Dunes the distinction between them is like night and day. Bandon does have length and at different times there are a few holes of note that are quite good -- very good in fact (see my previous comments on #4 through #6 as a clear example).

Huck, to paraphrase the ole Reggie Jackson quote from his days with the Yankees ... (Pac Dunes) is the stir that mixes the drink at the Bandon Dunes Resort. In my mind, if Bandon Dunes were a solitary golf course the immense fanfare tied to the place would be far less so. Bandon would no doubt still get people to go there but Keiser was extremely smart in making sure that his second course would be designed by someone else and that the motif of the sequel course would be totally different from what the original provides.

If people are truly honest and asked what was the reason they went to Bandon to start with it would be to play Pac Dunes first and foremost. Again, hold the two courses side-to-side and look at the details of the design with the two of them and Pac Dunes wins going away. Bandon Dunes is well done but when we are talking about the elite of elite public courses in the USA I see it as a top 100 candidate but more towards the second fifty than the first half.

One last item -- isolation is a neat thing for the real die-hards enthralled with course designs. They will visit such places and often without realizing it will throw a few more total rating points into the equation.

Final comment -- I never said that off-course views should not count for something. They just should not be the be/all end/all for the overall assessment of the course itself. In my mind, too many raters substitute the locale / setting as the primary ingredient when the actual design itself should be the first among equals.

Wide awake here.

Lots of disagreement, but a lot of agreement as well.  I do think Bandon stands up quite well on its own, and thus my opinion differs from yours.  I also find it difficult to say Bandon benefits from Pacific's presence IN TERMS OF PERCEPTION AND RATINGS, which is what you seemed to state at first.  It's a totally separate question evaluating this in a business sense, and Kalen has taken that to another thread.  Odd that you now seem to care more about business than course quality or perception of course, but you often do surprise me, Matt.   ;D  But riddle me this:  you keep saying BD benefits from the "spillover" from BD.  If that's true, then why has it continued to go DOWN in the ratings each year, with the largest drop occurring right after PD was built?  You make no sense here, Matt.  If what you said were true, it would have gone UP when PD was built - and it didn't.  It went down.  It debuted crazy high and it's downward trend to me is just a normal thing that happens with a lot of great new courses... I just can't understand how you can possibly say BD benefits from PD in terms of ratings, when all data suggests the opposite.  In terms of the business success of the resort, oh yes, multiple courses has caused great benefits, and many do want to play PD first and then play BD also as an afterthought... but in terms of rankings?  All data goes against you, Matt.  You don't really mean it this way, do you?

Obviously I completely disagree also that "design" itself should be the first among equals in an assessment of a golf course, but this might be because I define that as truly what it means, and of course that entails knowing what obtacles the architect overcame to create the course, his skill in doing such, etc. which I would never dare assess given I know zero about it.  But change it to say this and while I wouldn't agree with the statement that too many raters do anything, nor would I limit this just to raters, but at least I'd agree with the method.  Can you live with this?  Is it just a matter of definitions?

All views, both on and off-course, matter in an assessment of the course.  None should ever be the be/all end/all for the overall assessment of the course itself, however.  In my mind, too many raters substitute the locale / setting as the primary ingredient when how fun, thrilling, exciting, and soul-stirring the course is in the playing of it should be the first among equals.

As for Bandon and its quality, we shall agree to disagree.  As you can see, many find it to be quite great... many don't.  Fair enough.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:21:55 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »
If it's okay to mention Black Mesa one  more time.......

The only problem Black Mesa has is lack of players / raters.  The course is great but perhaps a bit off the beaten track.  Once Tom Doak builds course #2 there, play at both courses will go off the charts.  My confident prediction!  8)  The cognoscenti who seek out Bandon Dunes resort will do the same for Black Mesa, it's that good.

Plus, there is a WHOLE LOT more to do in Santa Fe than there is in Bandon.  I love the fact that the Bandon resort is all about the golf, but it is wonderful in Santa Fe to finish a round of golf and be in a bar in Santa Fe, hoisting a margarita, in about 45 minutes.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »

The only problem Black Mesa has is lack of players / raters.  The course is great but perhaps a bit off the beaten track.  Once Tom Doak builds course #2 there, play at both courses will go off the charts.  My confident prediction!  8)  The cognoscenti who seek out Bandon Dunes resort will do the same for Black Mesa, it's that good.

Plus, there is a WHOLE LOT more to do in Santa Fe than there is in Bandon.  I love the fact that the Bandon resort is all about the golf, but it is wonderful in Santa Fe to finish a round of golf and be in a bar in Santa Fe, hoisting a margarita, in about 45 minutes.

Agree with that.

And not that you likely meant this, but this is not what occurred with Bandon Dunes.  It debuted as a solo course VERY high in rankings, and went down ever since.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 05:25:23 PM »

Agree with that.

And not that you likely meant this, but this is not what occurred with Bandon Dunes.  It debuted as a solo course VERY high in rankings, and went down ever since.

TH

It's simple - the ocean is a bigger deal than the mountains.  ;)

Michael Dugger

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »
On my next trip I doubt I will play Trails because of the changes to the 14th.  Making a green easier on a short par four because somebody made a bogey and adding a tram because someone died is just too much for me.  When stepped pricing is created to fill tee sheets you will see Trails as not much more than a loss leader.

Dude, it's undetectable and still not easy by any stretch.  May as well have not even bothered, IMHO, messing with it.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Matt_Ward

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »
Bill McBride:

I agree with you on all points -- save for one. The original Black Mesa already has the goods and one would think raters who are a bit keen on being informed would see the overall quality NOW.

Charlie D:

It will be quite interesting to hear your comments after you return from Kiawah. Things have changed -- many of them for the better.

I believe the front side -- especially the 2nd and 4th holes are much better and clearly the ending series of holes has been improved (especially the 18th).

Huck:

The mere "dropping" of a few placements doesn't prove a thing to me. We are talking about .000001 differences when courses get that close to the top of the best modern or top USA public listing. The issue is that the original 18 at Bandon Dunes benefited from having a sequel course to continue to DRIVE eyeballs to see and play the first 18. Without the sequel I don't see how the original 18 would have stayed anywhere near what it is today. Got it now.

Candidly, the state of public golf is far more competitive than many might believe. Unfortunately, ocean based courses often get the benefit of the doubt. Like I said before -- I don't doubt the original 18 at BD is a very good golf course but being just "very good" is a step or two at minimum from being an absolute must play in one's lifetime. Pac Dunes, like the Reggie Jackson line I mentioned previously is the "stir" that mixes the drink when going to Bandon.

Huck -- one final thing -- check out the point I raised previously which you end runned around -- the contours and green demands you face at the original 18 are merely functional -- a far cry from what you see with what Doak and even C&C did with the other two (2) courses there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »
Bill McBride:

I agree with you on all points -- save for one. The original Black Mesa already has the goods and one would think raters who are a bit keen on being informed would see the overall quality NOW.

Matt, I was talking about the golf public at large.  Not everybody who goes to Bandon is a rater......

Carl Nichols

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
But riddle me this:  you keep saying BD benefits from the "spillover" from BD.  If that's true, then why has it continued to go DOWN in the ratings each year, with the largest drop occurring right after PD was built?  You make no sense here, Matt.  If what you said were true, it would have gone UP when PD was built - and it didn't.  It went down.  It debuted crazy high and it's downward trend to me is just a normal thing that happens with a lot of great new courses... I just can't understand how you can possibly say BD benefits from PD in terms of ratings, when all data suggests the opposite. 

Huck:
I think you're equating correlation (BD dropped in the rankings after PD's debut) with causation (BD dropped BECAUSE it was being compared to PD).  Perhaps BD was going to drop anyway, perhaps it dropped because more reviewers visited after PD was finished, perhaps BD dropped because of comparisons with PD, or perhaps it would've dropped even more if PD didn't exist -- the point is that the mere fact of a drop doesn't really tell you WHY it happened.

I think it's a really good course and a ton of fun to play -- perhaps more fun than the other courses.  And if I had to guess, I'd say that when PD was built, people realized that perhaps even more could've been done with the site -- so it has suffered by comparison.  But that's just a guess, not a conclusion that's somehow compelled by the numbers.   

Bill_Ryzewski

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »
I'm really tired of the Torrey Pines bashing on this site. I'm sure no muni in the country can match the the production of expert players that Torrey has produced. Runyan, Rodgers, Mickelson, Twiggs and whoever else. As a former member of the 3am club, I object to any comparison of Torrey Pines to private ventures armed with unlimited funds, built in the middle of nowhere.

Bill 8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:13:09 PM by Bill Ryzewski »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2008, 07:36:40 AM »
I'm really tired of the Torrey Pines bashing on this site. I'm sure no muni in the country can match the the production of expert players that Torrey has produced. Runyan, Rodgers, Mickelson, Twiggs and whoever else. As a former member of the 3am club, I object to any comparison of Torrey Pines to private ventures armed with unlimited funds, built in the middle of nowhere.

Bill 8)

Bill,

I thought I was alone in my love of Torrey Pines.  I would easily put it architecturally up there with Bandon and only prefer Bandon because of the walking policy and turf.  The attitude towards Torrey is best exlemplfied by the attitude of several elite posters during the first Kings Putter.  All of them Golfweek raters declined to play the recently renovated course, despite the fact I had booked a tee time in advance, to simply sip wine from their perch high above the golfing world and declare the work unworthy.  I dropped my tee time and signed up as a single to receive one of the most pleasant golf experiences of my life.  I believe that 12, 13 and 14 are as good a three hole stretch ever seen in championship golf.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:39:28 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:08 AM »
Huck:

The mere "dropping" of a few placements doesn't prove a thing to me. We are talking about .000001 differences when courses get that close to the top of the best modern or top USA public listing. The issue is that the original 18 at Bandon Dunes benefited from having a sequel course to continue to DRIVE eyeballs to see and play the first 18. Without the sequel I don't see how the original 18 would have stayed anywhere near what it is today. Got it now.

Candidly, the state of public golf is far more competitive than many might believe. Unfortunately, ocean based courses often get the benefit of the doubt. Like I said before -- I don't doubt the original 18 at BD is a very good golf course but being just "very good" is a step or two at minimum from being an absolute must play in one's lifetime. Pac Dunes, like the Reggie Jackson line I mentioned previously is the "stir" that mixes the drink when going to Bandon.

Huck -- one final thing -- check out the point I raised previously which you end runned around -- the contours and green demands you face at the original 18 are merely functional -- a far cry from what you see with what Doak and even C&C did with the other two (2) courses there.

Matt:

You can couch this however you want; the fact remains that Bandon Dunes started off VERY highly ranked and then dropped thereafter.  Reggie might have been a straw, and Pacific Dunes certainly got more people to go to Bandon; but you're never going to get me to believe that the presence of Pacific Dunes helped the PERCEPTION of Bandon Dunes.  Got more people to see it, yes.  But no Pacific Dunes means all people would have talked about is this ONE great course on the Oregon Coast... now?  Perception for a lot of people is that it's not the best course at it's own resort.  You tell me how that's a superior perception.

So I get what you're saying; I just disagree.  I truly believe that if Bandon Dunes was the solo course there, it would be trumpted, perceived, and ranked all HIGHER AND MORE than it is now.  And I will never believe that no one would have gone to see it, or that interest would have faded away.

In any case this is all silly hypothetical, one I really ought not to argue, because all it does is try to explain why YOU think Bandon Dunes is somehow over-rated.  I don't agree that it's overrated at all, so all this is rather beside the point for me. 

As for your last point about contours and green surrounds, all I can say is OK, such are more interesting in general at Pacific and Trails.  But it's not like they are bad at Bandon, nor out of place.  I find the greens to work wonderfully on the Bandon course.  And again, if they are inferior to these greats nearby, well... that's no knock.  Bandon is still a very great golf course.

Carl:  good points, we will never really know the causation.  You just do understand that when rankings and perception decrease, it's very difficult to say that some other factor caused them to INCREASE, correct?  That seems to be what Matt is trying to say, and it's illogical.

TH

Daryl David

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »
I love this topic and the emotions it brings out. I also enjoy the diversity of opinion on how to split rounds.  What I can't wait for is banter when Old Mac opens.  How will you split 12 rounds?  That will be fun!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »

Tim, just review the green details (lack thereof) that Kidd provides at Bandon. There's little real distinction and frankly I was hoping for a good bit more. I don't mean to advocate green contours that are extremely demanding given the wind factor that always operates there, but the details in and around the putting surfces at the original 18 are rather benign and I am being very kind / gracious in saying that.

People need to realize that I am not suggesting the original 18 is a bad course or one not worth the time to play when there. I just think that when people believe the original 18 is in the pantheon of the nation's extreme elite (top 25) they are inflating the rightful hype tied tp Pac Dunes and throwing over a spill-over effect to the other layouts there.

Matt,

I would agree that the greens and their surrounds are not the strong suit of Bandon Dunes (although I wouldn't say they're devoid of any interest).  But, when you think about the rest of the course and the desire to create a facsimile of a Scottish links, putting in some wildly sloping greens would have been incongruous.  To my knowledge, there aren't many wild greens on Scottish links (with some exceptions like at North Berwick).  The courses you mentioned--Black Mesa and Greywalls--are known for some crazy greens, aren't they?  Come to think of it, your man Jim Engh creates a lot of wild greens too.  Perhaps that's a trait you overvalue? 

FWIW, in terms of a golf experience, I would rate Bandon Dunes over the Ocean Course at Kiawah (although I haven't seen the recent changes there, which I understand allow the ocean to be at least occasionaly visible). 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »
I love this topic and the emotions it brings out. I also enjoy the diversity of opinion on how to split rounds.  What I can't wait for is banter when Old Mac opens.  How will you split 12 rounds?  That will be fun!

It is good stuff, and a heck of a testament for the resort as a whole.  What a collection of great golf courses....

And while some will then want to discuss a split of 10, or 12... well... the real question is more this, I think:  You have two days there - which courses do you play, how, and when?

Of course a minimum of three days would be required to "get" the resort... but at those prices, well....

The questions will be interesting for sure.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »

It is good stuff, and a heck of a testament for the resort as a whole.  What a collection of great golf courses....

And while some will then want to discuss a split of 10, or 12... well... the real question is more this, I think:  You have two days there - which courses do you play, how, and when?

Of course a minimum of three days would be required to "get" the resort... but at those prices, well....

The questions will be interesting for sure.

;D

Tom,

2 days for a first time visitor, assuming they can only fit in 36 holes would be an easy one I think...play each course after E-I-E-I-O is open.

3 days certainly becomes more interesting/challenging.  Perhaps a week long GCA.com trip to Bandon will be in order once the 4th course is open.   ;D  Start working on that hall pass now Tom and save those pennies... 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »
Kalen:

But would you really want to rush around all four courses, in those two days?  No repeats at any?  I have to say the most fun I've had up there has been on repeat rounds.  Yeah, I guess in two days that would make the most sense... one round at each of the four... but I don't see that as optimal.  Which of course is the resort's intent... anyone who wants to really get the place will stay more than two days!

As for a week devoted to golf and golf alone, I don't even dream that big any more.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back