News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Just how good is Bandon Dunes ?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 03:25:18 PM »
Cary gives the standard often used here.  For me, it goes:

3 Pacific
3 Bandon
3 Trails

flip coin for 10th round.  I do like variety and don't find any course there to be so much better that I favor it over the others.

TH

Save some coin and play that last round, or first, at Bandon Crossings.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 03:25:30 PM »
I know a VERY 'architecturally-educated' golfer who prefers Pacific to Pine Valley. Would anyone stick there neck out and say the same for Bandon.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »
JK - great call.

3+3+3+Bandon Crossings it is.

TH

George Freeman

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 03:28:08 PM »
JK - great call.

TH

I second that.  Good call John.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jed Peters

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »
Jed - have you really gone up there and played 10 rounds, each year?

LUCKY!

I've never gotten to stay that long.... damn well never will with today's prices.  Oh well....

I'm proud of you for at least giving BD one round, btw.  Some of the more strident here go 10-0-0 for PD.

TH

Well, 8 rounds every year in 5 days. Not really 10. And I've only done it 5 times. And last year, with a pro-shop binge (50% off clothing in the pro shop), all food, extra green fees, etc, I only spent $1150.

By the way, I think BT is the best course overall, but I like playing on the ocean. :)

George Freeman

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 03:29:58 PM »
JK - great call.

TH

I second that.  Good call John.

Check that:

PD: 3
BT: 3
BD: 2
Crossings: 1
Sheep Ranch: 1
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Richard Choi

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
No sane golf course reviewer can say Torrey Pines is an equal to Bandon Dunes. Sorry, not even close.

For me, I will schedule 10 rounds this way:

5 Pacific Dunes
4 Bandon Dunes
1 Bandon Trails

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »
In his US Open preview Whitten said that Torrey Pines was the equal of Bandon, noting the similarity of their cliff side settings.  While he was making the point to boost Torrey Pines as opposed to tear down BD, his clear view is that BD is overrated and TP is underrated.

I've had the good fortune to play TP and BD.  I think BD is a significantly better golf course.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »
George - fine addition.  Put me down for that as well.

Jed - that is very cool.  And as I recall you go in winter, thus the relatively small payout.  I went in winter once and while I don't regret it, well... let's just say the weather was far from ideal.  That being said, I can never go back in summer given those prices, so winter it is.  I'll go back when E-I-E-I-O opens.

TH

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »
IMO, the only truly mediocre hole on the course is #9.  Even when it plays into the winter wind, it's still a pretty benign and forgettable par 5. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 03:39:52 PM »
 I would also say that the uphill approach on the 1st is one of the top ten uphill shots in modern golf....btw...how many uphill shots of any memory are in the modern top 100?...20 or so at best.

The 4th and 7th at Chambers Bay will change your opinion.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »
Charlie,

You should have time for a round at Crossings one evening when walking 54 is out of the question.  It is a short drive and they allow carts with a great selection of beers in the fridge.  If the course is empty I would suggest a round of alternate shot.

George Freeman

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »
In his US Open preview Whitten said that Torrey Pines was the equal of Bandon, noting the similarity of their cliff side settings.  While he was making the point to boost Torrey Pines as opposed to tear down BD, his clear view is that BD is overrated and TP is underrated.

I've had the good fortune to play TP and BD.  I think BD is a significantly better golf course.

couldn't agree more...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 03:44:21 PM »
4 at Pacific
4 at Trails
2 at Bandon

But thats more a compliment to the other 2, than a knock at Bandon. In comparison to say Torrey Pines? 7 - 3 in favour of Bandon. Portrush - 6 - 4 to Bandon...

Michael Dugger

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 03:46:32 PM »
For starters, gentlemen, you can't, as has been pointed out a MILLION TIMES, consider the golf course in lieu of the ocean.  

It's on the ocean, perhaps enjoying the best views of the entire property (16th green 17th tee)

I am very torn between BD and BT.  BT has an epic start, but fades in the middle.  BD reaches a wonder climax, IMHO, with #16 and #17.  I don't even care that 18 is average, I'll take a breather hole coming in (but it's in no way in the same league as 18 at PD, Mr. Kavanaugh;-)

#1 is great
#2 is great
#3 is great
ditto 4
5 is a very difficult hole all bottlenecking up at the green
6 is kinda ho hum to me
I love #7 and #8
#9 does put me to sleep, however

#10 is tremendous
#11 is ho hum
#12 afford a great view, it asks for a good tee shot into the wind usually
#13 is still a neat hole.  Name me ten courses with as much roll as in this fairway and I'll point out 10 courses which probably also rank quite high
#14 is a neat hole although I think it's been lessed with the removal of the gorse.  Not the gorse behind the green but the gorse on the elbow.  There is no punishment for cutting the corner now, and nobody plays to the fairway, therefore.
#15 is nice, not my favorite
#16 is epic.  My favorite hole on the ENTIRE PROPERTY
#17 is fantastic.  When the wind is blowing, both the drive and approach are scary
#18 still asks for three good golf shots.

The entire course has to be considered, not just the individual holes.  The turf is firm.  The greens are undulating and very thought provoking.  There are big numbers awaiting you out there.  It's gorgeous to look at.  

I'm not seeing where it is anything less than what it is.  I consider it better than Chambers Bay, FWIW.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »
 I would also say that the uphill approach on the 1st is one of the top ten uphill shots in modern golf....btw...how many uphill shots of any memory are in the modern top 100?...20 or so at best.

I can't put my finger on why I am not inspired to visit.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 03:52:53 PM »

I can't put my finger on why I am not inspired to visit.

Because you went to Whistling Straits already and know Chambers is very similar and maybe not quite as good.  (and a million miles away from Indiana)
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
I have never been and have no desire to see Whistling Straits.  I have been to and love Erin Hills.

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 04:08:47 PM »
Isn't in some ways Bandon's greatness reflected simply by the enthusiasm by which one either defends or criticizes the course?  We're now at 2 pages of posts, with a variety of opposing answers, each one just as heartfelt as the last. 

In many ways it seems fruitless to even catagorize the courses individually because of the nature of the resort.  It is "Dream Golf", 3 courses that provide variety over the length of one's stay.  The resort's location alone prevents any guest from playing just a single round, and thus it is that variety which works to create an experience unlike any other.
(or so I've heard, I'm making my maiden voyage upon my father's retirement in the Fall of '09)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 04:20:19 PM »
whoever said #10 and #17 are average holes is smoking something.

#10 was an average hole until I learned how to play it, at which point it became brilliant.  It wasn't all there in front of me...

Will, just how far left did you hit the tee shot?   ??? ;D

David Stamm

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »
I see some very different views on how to dole out the rounds at Bandon. It seems some give the Trails little love and others alot more. The Trails looks really appealing to me. How good is it in comparison or on it's own merit?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Will MacEwen

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »
whoever said #10 and #17 are average holes is smoking something.

#10 was an average hole until I learned how to play it, at which point it became brilliant.  It wasn't all there in front of me...

Will, just how far left did you hit the tee shot?   ??? ;D

I think through the fairway.  I could see the green, the flag, no sand trap.  It was shocking.  A friend came over to inspect and it was like a new world for us.  I should note (or I just want to boast) that I once birdied it twice in one day from the middle of the fairway, which is also the sign of a great hole.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »
I see some very different views on how to dole out the rounds at Bandon. It seems some give the Trails little love and others alot more. The Trails looks really appealing to me. How good is it in comparison or on it's own merit?

You'll likely get a lot of disagreement on Trails, as there is about each course at Bandon.

I find it to be brilliant.  I never can quite understand the critiques of it.  But to each his own...

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2008, 04:32:52 PM »

You'll likely get a lot of disagreement on Trails, as there is about each course at Bandon.

I find it to be brilliant.  I never can quite understand the critiques of it.  But to each his own...

TH

Oh sure,

This coming from the guy who bagged on 16, the par 5, and its lack of a layup option unmercifully..   ;D  ;D  ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 04:34:32 PM »
On my next trip I doubt I will play Trails because of the changes to the 14th.  Making a green easier on a short par four because somebody made a bogey and adding a tram because someone died is just too much for me.  When stepped pricing is created to fill tee sheets you will see Trails as not much more than a loss leader.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back