News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mtp

Metacomet Routing
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »

Found this picture on the website, amazed at how close the tee (3rd I believe) lies in proximity to the 2nd green. Anyone else has any pictures, apparently the 14th is a world class hole.

http://www.metacometcc.org/club/scripts/section/section.asp?GRP=8988&NS=PG

Thanks

Brad Klein

Re: Metacomet Routing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »
The original 1925 Ross routing for Metacomet had plans for the 3rd tee to be out on a little island, with two small bridges connecting it to the mainland. The entire routing, including an amazing sequence of six consecutive parallel par-4s to end the round, is in my Ross book, page. 143. It's one of Ross' greatest routing achievements, squeezing that all onto no more than 100-acres. 

mtp

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
Brad,
I haven't read your book, I look forward to it.
Question- Did Ross ever intimate on which courses he was most proud; or one's which failed to meet his expectations ? I have read his Aronimink quote and once read that Wannamoisett's 12th was in his opinion one of the great long par 3's.

Brad Klein

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
His Aronimink quote admiring how good it was might be genuine and honest. If there were other comments to that effect regarding other courses I don't recall them or never put much stock in them. He was generally diplomatic enough to avoid such comparisons.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back