News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Square Peg, Round Hole New
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:02:26 AM »
After watching a few of the highlights today from Sawgrass I came away with the feeling that the PGA Tour has, in an attempt to be a little different, turned a target golf course in to a farce by making it play so firm and fast. 

Don't get me wrong, I love firm and fast (as do most on this site),  but when you implement that on a course with few open front greens and a plethora of sharp edged (bulk heads) water hazards you end up with a crazy mix.

Many of the greens were so firm they were having to land it on the front apron to get it to stay on the green....problem is, some of the greens don't have front aprons.

I realize Sergio went low, but it just seems to be a strange mix of techniques...

Thoughts...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:17:17 AM by Chip Gaskins »

David Stamm

Re: Square Peg, Round Hole
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:06:27 AM »
Chip, IMHO, this week looks like pinball golf to me. Watching the car wreck that is the 17th is getting old. To quote a friend here on this site, it's become a novelty in a sense.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:45:13 AM »
I think 17 needs to play reasonably soft in order to be accepting of shots.
HOWEVER!!!!--We are talking about the best players in the world competing for $1.7 million. Should they not be challenged to execute great shots on all 18 holes?? Or is that asking to much?
--Frankly, IMHO, if these guys, the best in the world, can't figure out how to stop a PW or GW on a green (17) they simply are hitting not great shots, trying to steer the ball around because they're frozen and deserve to go in the water. A 145 yd hole is not difficult. Players make it difficult because they let the water Mind F#&@ them and freeze.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »
I thought this thread was going to discuss the use of rectangular flagsticks. Curse my overly-literal instincts!
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

JESII

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:35:11 AM »
Chip,

These guys do not use approaches when it's this firm, they just don't.

I think ultra firm greens are the only semi-controlable way to challege these guys...forget "protecting par", these conditions force these guys to hit shots...which is what we should ask of the best players in the world.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:52:25 AM »
Just what the tour needs, dumbing down the Maintenance Meld, inorder to prove these guys are good.
 Will the goal of mediocrity ever cease?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back