News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Mirror images of holes - which would be better/worse?
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:09:20 AM »
Today I was wondering about some classic golf holes and whether they'd be considered great if they were reversed.  The corrollary asks if there are some holes, less heralded, that would be more famous.

The bailout on 16 at Cypress Point would be to the right18 at Pebble Beach would be more difficult for average golfers because the water would be on the right.

For some reason I'm having a hard time even visualizing 18 at Augusta - it would play much differently.  While some guys would bomb some block cuts on 13 there, the second shot would feature the ball way below the golfer's feet.

Tom Lehman would probably have won a couple more majors because his draw made the last hard at both the Masters and when he lost to Steve Jones on 18 at Oakland Hills

17 at TPC doesn't change much, but 18 would take on a new look.  What happens to The Road Hole?  The hotel would be over the right-handed golfer's shoulder.

8 at Rolling Oaks goes from being the best par 3 in Florida to, well, still the best par 3 in the state.  Which makes me think most holes wouldn't be noticeably better or worse.  But then I think of 17 at River Highlands.  Would that tee shot look so hard if there was no trouble to the right?

John Moore II

Re: Mirror images of holes - which would be better/worse?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:29:05 AM »
I think to the better player, opposite holes as you speak of would not make a significant difference. The strategy remains the same, just to the other side of the fairway or green. I think holes that have the hazard to the right is generally more penal for the average golfer, but the character would not change.
--I would say that a mirror image hole would not be a lesser quality hole than the current hole that exists, since nothing changes but direction.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back