News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Starmount Forest in NC
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:57:48 AM »
Is the original routing  still in place here. Also wondering if  some nice Maxwell green complexes  are intact ?

thanks
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 04:16:27 PM by mark chalfant »

Greg Holland

Re: Starmount Forest (Maxwell) in NC
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »
For years, the course was called a Perry Maxwell course, but it is actually a Stiles and Van Kleek course.  The current website recognizes this I believe.  Chris Clouser also has a newspaper article from 1929 indicating Stiles and Van Kleek designed it. 

Lester George did a renovation a few years back, and I believe left the routing in tact. 

As to the greens, they do have a lot of contour.  I'm sure Lester can add more.  Its a fun course, and I particularly like the par 3 holes.  I played there a few weeks ago, and the greens were as firm and fast as I've ever seen them.  I'm sure with all the rain we've had recently, though, that they are much softer now. 

Lester George

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »
Mark,

When I got there all of the Styles and Van Kleek was effectively gone.  George Cobb renovated the course around 1970. 

Greg,

Thanks for the comments, it is one of my favorites and I agree that it is fun.  My only real routing change was moving the 6th green across the creek (similar to number 15 at DuPont).  I have been there in 6 o 7 years.  Hope they are taking care of it.

Lester

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:17:19 PM »
My brother was a member at Starmount for many years, and I played a lot of very enjoyable rounds there, all unfortunately before Lester George's work there.  My brother, no longer a member :-[ says the course is much better for the work; I'll get back there at some point I'm sure.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Greg Holland

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »

Greg,

Thanks for the comments, it is one of my favorites and I agree that it is fun.  My only real routing change was moving the 6th green across the creek (similar to number 15 at DuPont). 
Lester

Lester,

Would love to hear more about your change on 6 -- was the old green over near the bridge to the far left where the path crosses the creek?  That hole is one of the most challenging on the course now, I think.  Do you have any before and after pictures?

Thanks,
Greg 

Lester George

Re: Starmount Forest in NC
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:22:50 PM »
Greg,

Yes the green was over by the bridge.  We redirected the creek and split the fairway.  I do have before and afters, but not digital.  Sorry.

Lester

Nathan Cashwell

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »
My family were members at SFCC for about a dozen years (before and after the latest renovation).  Its property is pretty tight, but does have some opportunity for re-routing, which I personally think would make the course really good.  Obviously there is no Maxwell left, because there never was any Maxwell to begin with.  I have an aerial of the original Stiles and Van Kleek and there were some really good things done there (one of the best redans I have ever seen).  The club's records were destroyed in a fire back in the 50's, but through my own research I discovered a pretty interesting history of the club (some of which is included in Bob Labbance's book).  It's history includes a 9 hole routing by a very famous GCA that was eventually incorporated into the final Stiles and Van Kleek design.  You can see some tendencies of the famous GCA in the old aerial.  The course was originally a public track called Hamilton Lakes.  It was also one of the original homes of the GGO, which it shared with Sedgefield Country Club (which is once again hosting the tournament now called the Wyndham Championship).  After a falling out with Slammin' Sammy they eventually named the main entrance road after him.  You can still see a couple of original bunker locations and landforms in the rough, these survived both renovations, very little else did, except the routing as Lester said.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
A few pics of Starmount Forest:

Reverse cant on par 4 #4:

Bunkers on interior of dogleg par 4 #5:

Tee shot on par 4 #11:

Tee shot on short par 5 #14:

from a little further up:

The well sloped green:

and again:

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:36:43 AM »
Mark,

Can you explain the process you take to ask these questions?  Some of these courses seem to come from beyond left field.  Is there a method to your madness?   ;) ;D ;D

mark chalfant

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 11:22:31 PM »
Wayne,

The  main criteria are:

1. The course must be within  800 miles of the Liberty Bell
2. Clubhouse  must a design of  Frank Furness or  Bernard Maybeck
3. The routing must have been mentioned  Henry Longhurst's  seldom read, but  highly reliable tome entitled: West to Hutchinson, Prairie Dunes and other gems designed by talented colonists     

ps.  we should have  a cheese steak together soon !

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 04:16:59 PM »
For those who   have the recent  Stlies  and  Van Kleek book,  is  Starmount  Forest
covered  in the  book.  Im also  wondering  if  Rutland  , VT   is covered  in this  book

thanks

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back