News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Off the market pricing - $235
« on: May 08, 2008, 06:39:13 AM »
It was reported in Travel and Golf Magazine that the soon to be opened Pound Ridge GC (NY) will be priced at $235. Pricing is not listed on the golf course website:

http://www.poundridgegolf.com/

The most expensive in the New York area that I know of is Centennial Golf Club NY at $135. Great River (CT) at $130.

Assuming the article is correct, have you ever seen a price for a public daily fee so far outside the prevailing market? This is not a destination resort like Bandon or Pebble.

I can understand how some private clubs are able to price outside on the market rate with membership rosters and small membership, but this one I can't see how it will work.

Personally, I am not going to spend $470 for my son and I to play a late day round when we are visiting Gammy's house.  :'( Can I borrow someone's rater card?  :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:41:40 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Off the market pricing - $235
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »
Mike,

Perhaps there will be a twilight rate. ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:01:44 AM »
That just seems silly to me.  I think I'll stick with Richter Park and spend the extra $203 bucks on my family.

I am sure they know lots that I don't, but I'd be surprised if that model worked these days.

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
Cross that one off the list of places I wanted to see this summer!

What are they smoking?? $235 for Pebble, Spyglass or Kiawaha is outrrageous enough but for this??

Oh well - looks like it will be some more field work to find the hidden gems out there.
Integrity in the moment of choice

mark chalfant

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:03:13 AM »
Mike,

I have some buddys in Philadelphia with connections at   Pound  Ridge,  but  Im afraid  they recently  dropped their raters card  while on a canoe  trip through the rapids of  Cobbs Creek, or was it the SchoolKil....

maybe you shold substitiute 7 rounds  at  Mohansic
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 04:10:58 PM by mark chalfant »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
Cross that one off the list of places I wanted to see this summer!

What are they smoking?? $235 for Pebble, Spyglass or Kiawaha is outrrageous enough but for this??

Oh well - looks like it will be some more field work to find the hidden gems out there.

John - You might can play nine holes at Pebble for $235.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:59:24 AM »
But, according to their website, "According to Pete, Pound Ridge will be one of his best course designs."

Come to think of it, that's what Bulle Rock's website says too.  ;)

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:06:20 AM »

Doesn't that price model only work on women's dresses?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »
But, according to their website, "According to Pete, Pound Ridge will be one of his best course designs."

Come to think of it, that's what Bulle Rock's website says too.  ;)

I've noticed that Petey's courses are notorious for the same grandiose quotes about the course or the land, just the same thing said in different ways.  Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits come to mind.  I wish I had my old scorecards handy as I'm sure I could dig up a few more.

Maybe the $235 represents a $100 Golf Hall-of-Fame premium based on Dye's recent news.

I'm pretty much up for paying any $ amount for playing a course once just to check it out, but repeat business is the key to long-run survival.  I won't play any course again unless it represents what I consider a good value for the money, so Pound Ridge better be off the charts if it's $100 more than anything else in the area.  Maybe they use that as their rack rate to fleece the non-price sensitive corporate segment, then will offer deals and packages for the average Joe.

Michael Mimran

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »
Here is a copy of an email I received regarding the fee structure are pound ridge.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your e-mail.  The only price set at this time is our in season or rack rate.  This rate is $235 including golf cart and free use of the driving range.  There will be other amenities given out at the first tee such as water bottles, towels, and yardage books.  We are scheduled to open this July.  I will place your name and e-mail address into our data base for future updates from Pound Ridge Golf Club.  Thanks again, and have a wonderful week.

Kindest Regards,

Wohooo free water!

Jason McNamara

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 07:03:24 PM »
"There will be other amenities given out at the first tee such as water bottles, towels, and yardage books. "

What, no platinum ingots?

Although if there's any place those numbers might fly, that's it. 

There are some pics in this article
http://www.fairfieldcountybusiness.com/archive/101507/1015070003.php4
Some of the features seem... pointy.  Tough to say for sure from a limited set of small photos.

Not sure what's on their own site, since it requires cookies.   ::)  I sure hope there's a nice intro page too.   :P

Dean Stokes

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 07:06:57 PM »
Obviously the recession and the gas prices have not hit NY yet. :P Wait a couple more years and you may be able to play Pebble for $50 ;D ;D ;D
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
"Situated in affluent Westchester County..."

Talk about snootiness.  One would think the type of people who would pay $235 to play a public golf course in Pound Ridge, NY are already probably members at a better-established private club in the area.

It looks interesting, though.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Michael Mimran

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 08:42:09 PM »
Pros:
1) Westchester and Fairfield county are two of the richest in the country.
2) While the county overall is filled with private clubs, north eastern Westchester only has a couple.  Glenarbour, Bedford golf & tennis, Waccabucc, Mt Kisco.  Fairfield has even less.  All are good, none world class.
3) Even if the residents do belong to these clubs, they are so bloody rich they can afford to drop a grand on a foursome no problem, just to play something different.
4) They probably only need to do half the rounds Centennial does to reach their projected earnings.
5) Westchester airport is only 15 miles away.

Cons:
1)It seems to be about 7 years to late for this type of club. 
2) From what I understand they are pitching this place to be the next Kiawah or Whistling Straights and to draw from out of state. The problem with this is their are only a couple hotels, none within 25 minutes.  Their isn't much to do in the general area.
3) The residents of Pound Ridge and Bedford probably aren't the most welcoming people to their town.
4) While its only 1hr from the city, its not to conducive to a golf trip.  Travel, weather, cost ect.

Who knows, I hope the course is as good as they are pitching it to be.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 09:28:01 PM »
Talk about snootiness.  One would think the type of people who would pay $235 to play a public golf course in Pound Ridge, NY are already probably members at a better-established private club in the area.

Well then - that's the niche.

If you have some meathead client whom you don't trust unaccompanied at your club, you treat him to a round at PR.   :D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back