News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Balakshin

A nice site for a golf course near Las Vegas
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »
Although I don’t really agree with building golf courses in desert environments, here are some pictures of a site I saw in southern Utah that would be really nice for a golf course. Sandy hills as far as the eye could see!

It is located about 4 hours east of Las Vegas (and 30min from Zion National Park).

The elevation is 6600 feet above sea level and has beautiful views of Zion in the distance.  I am guessing that water would be an issue  :P

John Moore II

Re: A nice site for a golf course near Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:42:20 PM »
That could be a good place to try out placing a club, if you could put a club there in the model of Sand Hills or Ballyneal. I don't think it would be feasible for public golf though. Great scenery though.

BVince

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 12:32:39 AM »
Is anything around there?  Would water be an issue?
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
Living in Utah these kind of sites and sandy terrain are everywhere out here.

The biggest issues as already guessed are water and population.  This particular site isn't too bad in the remote category as St. George isn't too far away.  But many of these areas really are in the middle of nowhere.  Combine that with brutally hot summers and cold winters, it could be a tough sell.

But hey, I'm always in favor of more golf in Utah!!  ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 09:57:20 AM »
It's a great site but not close to LV.

Near Las Vegas? 4 hours is not near in my book. How about the new Nicklaus course soon to open 1 hour north of LV- Coyote Springs?

www.coyotesprings.com/golf_courses.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:39:08 AM »
Andrew

These photos are very interesting but to my untrained eyes they tell me that unless you have deep pockets, the area is just not right.

On top of the problems as previously mentioned i.e. of population and water, there does not appear to be any reusable vegetation, the basic environment is just not suitable, hence my comment about having deep pockets (loads of money).

The feeling that there is a course because we see sand and hills must not be allowed to run wild. Again I say I just see lots of sand, no more. IMHO land like this should never be considered as a possible site for a golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back