News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamey Bryan

Atlanta; Driving Club
« on: May 01, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »
I'm likely to be in Atlanta a couple of times over the next few months, and an old friend is a member of the Piedmont Driving Club.  When I lived in Atlanta, the Driving Club was golfless; what's their newish course like?

Thanks in advance....

Jamey

Jamey Bryan

Re: Atlanta; Driving Club
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 06:49:48 PM »
Bump....

Nobody's played this course?  Come on, Atlanta guys now I'm really curious!

Jamey

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 07:12:07 PM »
Believe it or not, I not only haven't played it, I haven't talked to anybody that has!  I've been here for 30 years, too, and been to East Lake, Peachtree, and most everywhere.  But not there.  Sorry...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »
AG.....

Thanks for the response, I find it interesting that so few folks have managed to get down south of 285 to play a course from a fairly high profile (to put it mildly) club!  It's even more surprising to me when, given the high percentage cross-membership with Peachtree, you'd expect the course to be really good.

I'm still hoping to hear from players......

Jamey

Greg Holland

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 11:01:25 PM »
I have played it once.  Its a nice course -- fairly typical Rees Jones, with several dramatic water holes.  The course is pretty hilly--at least there were lots of elevated tees, it is very well maintained, and the facilities are really nice. 

G Jones

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 03:12:24 AM »
The place has a nice atmosphere, facilities are great... and there are some very good holes... but there are also a few slightly odd ones... ie. the 9th fairway looks a bit squashed into the land available... and the 16th, while fun, is a crazy hole that forces you to layup with a 3 wood before hitting about 170-180 yards sideways over a lake to a peninsula green. On the other hand, the 17th is a great par 3 over the lake, and the 18th is a par 5 where if you go for it in 2 you have to beware the water behind and right of the green, which is fun.
It's not a classic or brilliant design, but it's a fun place to play, and I guess this is what it was intended to be.

Adam Russell

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »
I caddied there during the winter. I think the par-3's are the best aspect of the course, alot of variety. The views are good, but I just kept thinking that the course doesn't look anything like its natural surroundings. There is too much jarring elevations changes and cramped holes to be considered must-play. But it's a great way to spend a free afternoon, especially with how much the members pay for that course. Here's a couple views of the course from Virtual Earth. Sorry about stretching the thread, but Microsoft can't do pictures, only links. Here's my favorites.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=pmbvkn7ynnpr&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&cam=43.874218~-99.71&scene=29069608&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=pmc4h27ynqjq&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&cam=43.874218~-99.71&scene=29066945&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=pmbwk27ypdp9&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&cam=43.874218~-99.71&scene=29069800&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 08:14:53 PM »
This is not golf, but along the lines of the Driving Club, Tom Wolfe's excellent "A Man In Full" is a must-read, BTW.  He mentions the club but not the golf course.  (if the book wasn't so good, I wouldn't recommend it here).
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 12:18:57 PM »
I have to agree with the posts.  Its good course but its not in the "golfing" circle of must plays within Atlanta.  The practice facility is nice and you need to eat the saltine crackers that are dipped in butter!  Its a PDC thing....they even serve them up in a basket like bread!ha

When I played the course a few years back they were re-working a dam near a back nine par 3?  Tons of rain washed the dam out.  I liked the front nine better from what I can remember.  Thats the problem...not very memorable.

Plus I dont know if I would want to walk the course??  IMHO-When a club has the funds and ability to choose a site I think walkability must enter the design and needs for the membership....that is a requirement of mine when I evaluate a first class facility.

I would recommend trying to get on The Standard Club in Johns Creek!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back