News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt MacIver

Better three hole closing - Quail Hollow or Sawgrass?
« on: May 05, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »
Both courses are known for their finishing stretch - but which is better?

Quail Hollow                    Sawgrass
#16        Par 4 / 480 yards           Par 5 / 523 yards
#17        Par 3 / 217 yards           Par 3 / 137 yards
#18        Par 4 / 478 yards           Par 4 / 462 yards

My take:

#16 -- I think Sawgrass provides better angles, from the hill on the right side of the fairway to the tree 100 yards out; maybe their just more noticeable.  How to score it?  I would rather play Sawgrass 7 times out of 10. 

#17 -- Sawgrass is in your head from the moment you tee off on #1 - love it or hate it you still have to play it.  Quail's tee shot is very imposing, and despite the small bail-out to the right is still a big boy's shot.  I want to split these 50-50, but in deference to the uniqueness of Sawgrass am going 60-40. 

#18 -- How much of the water do you dare to bite off at Sawgrass?  Difficult, but I've seen it before, and I don't like the mounds near the green.  I love the creek at QH which is constantly in play but allows for recovery shots, plus the green is more interesting.  A clear winner at 8-2, maybe higher. 

Based on the math above, it's a tie in my book at 15-15.  I didn't try to make it this even, but overall this feels about right.  If anything maybe I would give #17 at Sawgrass more love.  And if they moved #16 QH green closer to the water it might get more votes. 

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Better three hole closing - Quail Hollow or Sawgrass?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »
Better how?

They are known for the difficulty.
I read a stat today that only 31% hit the 18th green in regulation at The Players.

I liked how they used the alternate fairway at Quail for spectators...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »
Can I have a write in vote? 16-17-18 at PGA National is better than either course, IMHO.

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:43:17 PM »
Personally, I'd lean toward Quail.  But that's mostly because I find it aesthetically more appealing than Sawgrass.  The one hole where I think there is a clear edge is actually #17.  Count me in the group that just doesn't get why #17 at TPC is such a big deal.  For me it was a real let down in person.  I can't believe the pros get psyched out by such a simple shot unless the wind is howling.  In my opinion, the 17th at Quail is a prettier design, strategically superior and requires a real golf shot to pull off.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back