News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jonathan_becker

Re: Wolf Point Pics
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2009, 12:33:34 PM »
Mike,

Any time you wanna keep posting pics this place, go right ahead!

Awesome looking course Mike.  The contours look like tons of fun.

Jud_T

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2009, 12:37:10 PM »
Mike,

the place looks phenomenal. Congrats! too bad the conditioning suffers due to all the traffic it sees  ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Blake

« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2009, 01:09:54 PM »
Hey, that's me putting on 18!

Just as much fun playing there this year as it was last year.  Contours, width, options, wind, natural features...
If anyone is forturnate enough to be invited by Nuzzo, you MUST take him up on it.  It's THAT unique and fun!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2009, 01:34:16 PM »
#2 green...I haven't seen many greens like this...I love it...if the pin is left you need to be left in the fwy to have a reasonable chance of being close...same if pin is on the right...#2 and #11 share a common fwy so it's very wide, but position does matter here.

Or you could do what son David did earlier this year, right?  Drive into the fairway bunker and hole a six-iron for eagle two!   :o 8)

It's cool you were there to see that shot, it was his highlight of the day (and many others!).  What a great day on a great course, you guys have done a wonderful thing down there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2009, 01:49:07 PM »
I love the 15th hole and green.
It plays from 140- to 190+ yards - the green is deep.

I've played it safe and made some easy pars.
I've played it aggressively and made some bogeys.

Note the density of the trees and the clearing of the underbrush!

Views from the front and from within the left swale.

This hole looks pretty easy from the tee, no deep bunkers lurking in the shadows, but if you pay attention to the shadows, you'll see two of them off to the left side.  These are swales not easy to see from the tee that will take a shot onto the left side of the green down off the green toward the creek.  The safe play is to the right side of the green.  I wasn't really sure what was up there on the left side but was pretty sure I didn't want any part of it, so played a mid iron right and was rewarded with a par.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »

love those internal contours of the greens. Looks like a lot of fun.

Anthony

George Pazin

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
Thanks for the update, Mike, hope you had a happy birthday.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sean_A

« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2009, 02:41:05 PM »
I haven't been down much this past year.
I would like to share some new pictures:
A putt on the 8th.
A rare spot on 11.
The 5th green.
Walk up 18.
17 green.
Go Yankees!

Miguel

Why do you torture me so?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rob Rigg

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2009, 02:42:22 PM »
I really like the coloring of the course - obviously it is playing pretty F&F - Don is doing a great job with maintaining a real linksy look in TX.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »
Thanks for the photo update Mike.  It looks like you had a beautiful day to be on the course.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:57 PM »
I've noticed a few people online have been checking out this thread today. 

It's been over three years since the last update.  Any more photos to share for the fans, Mike?  Anyone else?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »
Thanks for bumping this, Becker.

The course looks off the hook amazing.

The world needs some accessible Nuzzo.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »
Yes, indeed - and for more insights, see "the use of space" and "a sense of place" in the text books.

You can't fake it, the intention at least; I guess you can fake the results. but it never really works, does it?

Peter

Adam_Messix

« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2012, 11:06:41 PM »

The world needs some accessible Nuzzo.

Amen to that, it's a shame to few get to see Wolf Point because there's some real genius there.

Yes, indeed - and for more insights, see "the use of space" and "a sense of place" in the text books.

You can't fake it, the intention at least; I guess you can fake the results. but it never really works, does it?

Peter

You are so right in talking about "sense of place" and Wolf Point.  It's similar to Sand Hills in that regard, you can get so lost into the game and not realize where you are and what's going on.   

The real genius of Wolf Point is it's flexibility and the use of angles and how the angles can change to much based on the hole location.  On top of this, the width leads to a falsh sense of security of how to play holes.  Challenging hazards on the edges lead to better means of attacking hole locations.  There are so many subtle vagaries that are cool and add interest and yet aren't a maintenance nightmare and the dry, tight, and firm fairways enable you to hit shots and see the ball roll into some occasionally unpleasant spots. 

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
I've noticed a few people online have been checking out this thread today. 

It's been over three years since the last update.  Any more photos to share for the fans, Mike?  Anyone else?
Courtesy of Robert Young,
all taken in the last month or so
You can find yourself with some interesting short shots on the 15th

From behind the long par 4 5th hole

Although we use triplex machines to cut the greens, we use walkers to mow the clean up pass. This is the 13th green after Robert mowed the clean up pass

18th in the foreground, 8th in the back

16th green

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »
I like the pictures with people smiling most of all.

14th green

Shooter putting for birdie on 8

Shooter teeing off to #5 green from #9 tee

Lou on the 8th tee

Lou! on 2 green

Adam & Steve on 3 green

Steve on the edge of Infierno

PGA Pro in Infierno

Matt a Houston client and PGA Pro - clients and pros love Wolf Point too! 17 green

Bill & son first tee

Moments before David's eagle on #2 from 165 yards
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
There's no way Shooter likes Wolf Point, it looks too wide and he drives the ball too straight ;)
jeffmingay.com

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »
Thanks for the softball Jeff  ;D
Shooter played the course solidly the first time around.
So on his second he got aggressive, got to several under, and wound up worse off.
The same exact thing happened with a sr. tour player.
And they both loved Wolf Point.

Don points this out very well:
The only negative comment anyone has ever said about Wolf Point, is that some A-players might not like it because of the open space or non-tees, or some poor players may not like the wild greens, NOT that they don't love it, but someone else may not love it?!?

We have yet to find someone who doesn't love it!

Every single client & potential client, even professional, has loved it too!
One municipality, now two, have asked for our green types specifically!

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »
2014 Thaw Out at Wolf Point...who's with me?!?!?!?!

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »
The more I read about Wolf Point the more interested I am in making it down sometime. This looks like a great place to play and it might very well be at the top of my wish list in the US.

Playing on a very open field with no dominant features can be very disconcerting. My main memory of this effect was at Dingle Golf Links in Ireland and the 11th and 14th tees are right next to each other on a high spot overlooking pretty much the entire property. There was absoloutely nothing to attract your focus and it was very diffivcult to pull the trigger with confidence.

The greens look very interesting and I would love to spend a couple of days bumping my old school 7 and 6 irons around the contours. I thank GCA for bringing this course to my attention.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2012, 11:20:47 AM »

I'm with you baby. I'll pick up Whit in Greenville on the way to ATL.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »

I'm with you baby. I'll pick up Whit in Greenville on the way to ATL.

Me too.  Try living in Houston with our void of quality golf and this being so close, yet so far...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2012, 08:20:50 PM »
These pictures do NO justice, NONE.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
more from Robert...
6th green    early morning

16 grn

14th grn

11th grn from approach and back of green

17 grn

Adam_Messix

« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I've seen a picture of the 13th hole.  It's the one of the two holes (along with 4) that I played incorrectly and got away with it.  I'm wondering how much of an advantage it is to get a drive down the right hand side of 13.  That green has so much tilt from front left to back right that I had to hit a sweeping hook from just in front of the left fairway bunker to get it to just off the back right of the green. 

The genius of Wolf Point and how it works so well for it's audience is that it can play so differently from day to day just by changing the hole location and the different tee locations scattered around create so many fun angles, it's not hard for me to see how a really good player wouldn't love it.  You have to be able to play so many shots.  Yet, there's such a fun factor that you're not going to get beat up losing balls. 

But what I'm going to guess that tends to get missed by a one time visit, is stuff like that roll at the front of the 12th green.  It's such a cool, subtle feature (and fortuantely Don had cut the hole was cut just on the other side of it) and there's a lot of that around Wolf Point. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back