News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Rhebb

BVince

Re: Golf and Country Club in the Green Zone in Baghdad, Iraq
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:18:31 PM »
Wow....a bunch of mixed emotions ran over me while reading that article.  I spent some time in that area of the world conducting less than desirable operations and dealing with interesting individuals immersed in a complex/repressed culture. 

Golf speaking, the topography is dull...it would take someone's best efforts and a firm understanding of grasses and irrigation for any chance of realizing that dream.  In addition, summer temps peak out at about 122-125 F, which would cause great stress on the course.  Golf is not a popular sport in Iraq.  That doesn't mean it will not have a chance to grow, but I do not remember seeing any golf courses from the western sector of the Anbar province to the Tigris River in southeastern Baghdad.

I may add more at a later time about this post.  I need some time to digest this concept.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »
I have two thoughts on this article, as posted:
1) I think it is great to try and rebuild the inner city of Baghdad and make it a place people want to be and people want to come, however;
2) I feel that this is quite a large waste of funds from the American government at a time when that money could be used to fund many projects domesticaly.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 12:35:13 AM »
The article makes no mention of any such thing -at this time-.  It mentions an amusement park... maybe the intended golf is of the mini variety?

Keith, do you have another link?

Keith Rhebb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back