News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

David's White Paper concludes that Macdonald and Whigham recommended that Merion purchase 120 acres to build their golf course, because that's what they hypothetically routed 18 holes across in June 1910, which Hugh Wilson, et.al, would spend the next 28 months constructing..."laying out" as he understands the term.

I would like to challenge this Discussion Group to find 120 acres that Macdonald might have recommended that Merion Purchase, and then "design" a golf course to fit on that land.

You can use any aerial measuring tool you find useful, like Google Earth, etc.   What you have to do is take the existing Merion golf course, and then, within the following parameter, design your course.

* The 5 acres making up today's15th green across down to the bottom of the 16th fairway is OFF-Limits.   This is land that Richard Francis aquired later, trading for it with "land not used in any golf plan."

* The 3 acres between the creek and the water that was used for the old 13th hole and 12th hole approach/green are off limits.   That land was owned by the Railroad, and even if Merion got access rights to use it, Macdonald could not have recommended that for purchase from the Development company for his 120 acres.

* The land that forms the lower part of the 11th fairway, as well as the land from the tee to the crossing creek on today's 12th weren't purchased until 1924, so that's out.

* The land that forms about the last 50 yards of the 2nd hole (today's green) was not available at the time.

To give everyone a fighting chance, let's assume, even without proof, that Macdonald Whigham recommended purchase of the 21 acres Dallas Estate, that makes up parts of today's holes 3, 4, 5, all of 6, all of 7, and some of 8.   

You can also consider the land for today's clubhouse and parking lot part of the 120 acres.

I'm going to play golf and I'll be back to grade your responses later.  ;)

Have at it.  ;D

David Stamm

Re: Ole Macdonald had a mythical 120 acre farm. - Lets play a game
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 11:55:06 AM »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:56:25 AM »

Obviously Trump with that waterfall. I like the figure 8 center line hazards on the one hole.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »
Nice one, David.

Did I mention that the course had to be 6235 yards, par 70?  ;)

And no cheating like Macdonald's routing at Shinnecock where he just went back and forth along the railroad tracks!   ::) ;D

C'mon...you guys are more creative than this! 

Golf course architecture was basically brand new back in 1910.  Is this lack of response indicative of our lack of evolution of the art?   ::)

David tell us that Charley Macdonald was able to put a 6235 yard championship course on the property I described, and recommended that Merion spend the big bucks because of this amazing routing he'd put together.   ;D   

This should be a breeze guys...Macdonald did it all in one day!   :P
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 06:00:00 PM by MPC »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back