News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason McNamara

Re: West Texas Golf
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »
That is a unique looking feature on #10 at Butterfield Trail.
http://www2.cybergolf.com/kemper/images/172/BT-_10.jpg

A fairly small & deep (but not pot-size) bunker greenside, with a 5(?)-foot swath of rough behind it (i.e. away from the green), then a very large waste area.  Not sure it comes into play for many, though, as it's on a medium-length par 3.  Still, I guess it's good for psych-out purposes, and allows a limited few the oppty to go from the frying pan to the fire.

Andy, any thoughts on the hole?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 07:51:36 PM »
I thought that was one of the more interesting holes on the course. Its meant to be a short par three as few people will likely venture back to the 7300 yard tees (and if they do they better hit it long anyway). The fill from the deep waste area was used to build up the surrounds and other areas of the course. It works pretty well I think probably in part because of the sandy nature of the soil. Some parts look more natural than others, but all things considered I liked what they did with moving dirt to create at least a little elevation change.

The green is fairly large as well, you'd have to hit a pretty poor shot to end up in the waste area. The course in general is pretty wide to accommodate some Texas winds.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 08:24:38 PM »
Andy, et al:

No doubt the issue of conditioning is a factor at Painted Dunes Desert GC.

I like what Ken Dye did there but too often the conditioning issue becomes the dominant ingredient when talking about the course.

Andy:

Didn't mention this sooner -- but if you needed a really isolated west Texas course you could have headed to Lajitas -- it's literally just a PW across from the Rio Grande and just a few miles west of the Big Bend National Park area. The course is from Bechtol & Russell -- not bad but it has a few moments of note.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back