News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Can Construction Overcome Design; Vice Versa
« on: May 04, 2008, 01:28:46 PM »
A thought occurred to me while trying to keep up with the Merion threads.  Actually it was a second thought since my first one was obviously what a fool I am for trying to keep up with the Merions threads.  But I digress.  My question is can either design or construction overcome each other if one is a disaster but the other is outstanding?  Assume two extreme examples.  In the first, an architect creates an absolutely exceptional and detailed routing and design, then drops it off on his client's desk and says "you go build it".  Can incompetent construction of the plan ruin the finished product?  In the second case, assume the opposite.  An architect has a poor routing/design.  But in this case, you happen to have the world's greatest, most artistic construction crew.  Could they create a masterpiece or are they doomed to failure? 

Tom_Doak

Re: Can Construction Overcome Design; Vice Versa
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »
Ed:  Your first example [good architecture, incompetent construction] will be a disaster ... nothing will drain, nothing will look right.

The outcome of the second example depends on how much the construction team is allowed to fix the bad architecture.  A bad routing on hilly land is a disaster, but on flat land it doesn't have too much effect and might be overcome.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »
I have to concurr with Tom's reply.  Highlighted should "how much they are ALLOWED to fix it".  Some contractors appear on many architects bid lists because they have the reputation for either "fixing" or showing the architect a potential problem in the design so the architect can address it before it becomes an issue.  Others wait for  it to become an issue so that they can get a Change Order.  These are usually low-bid outfits and are not apt to get work except in the hard bid world.

A further extrapolation would be good design/construction vs poor grow-in/maintenance and vice versa.
Coasting is a downhill process

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »
Tom and Tim, thanks for the response.  I was envisioning a situation where the contractor isn't constrained at all.  Rather, they are given the freedom to use their abilities to the maximum.  How often are contractors allowed to put their own stamp of creativity on a project?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back