News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bosela

Another New Member Introduction
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:50:40 AM »
After lurking around on GolfClubAtlas for well over two years, I finally decided to send Ran an email, stating my interest in joining the site and contributing to the forums. 

I’m a 35 year old Canadian, living in St. Catharines, Ontario and I play out of St. Catharines G&CC, a Stanley Thompson designed course right in the heart of the city.  Unfortunately, little of Thompson’s original work at St. Catharines remains, as the course has been reworked numerous times, most significantly in the 1960’s after an arrangement with the provincial government and the club saw land exchanged in order to build a highway that connected the city to the port towns of Welland and Port Colborne.  Thompson’s protégé Robbie Robinson did most of the work in the 60’s and Ian Andrew is currently working on changes to bring back some of Thompson’s original flair (I hope) through our master plan.

Through this site, I’ve already been fortunate enough to meet Ian on a couple of occasions and actually just had my first GCA golf experience, booting around 20 holes at Eagles Nest GC on Tuesday morning in three hours with Robert Thompson.  In fact, both Thompson and Andrew were the ones who suggested I look into playing Riviera CC last fall when I had a few days available after a business trip on the west coast.  I’m forever indebted to both for the suggestion.

I’m an avid player and student of the game with great interest in course architecture and history.  I am also an avid writer and maintain a personal blog as a means of documenting my great experiences, both in life and in golf.

As an example, here is my long-winded writeup about my experience at Riviera (warning – it’s a three part article, with the golf course writeup starting in part two): http://nowonthetee.blogspot.com/2007/09/riviera-country-club.html

I also had the chance to play Oakmont CC in a charity function last autumn through a post on GCA by John Vander Borght and wrote an extensive article on that experience as well.

I would love to amend these articles I’ve written (eliminate details of my scoring or anything else not related to architecture) and present them in the discussion group to compliment the other great posts on these courses.  I would hope to contribute in threads discussing Canadian course architecture and I also plan on writing an extensive ‘My Home Course’ article on St. Catharines G&CC at some point.

I also just returned from a vacation in Palm Coast, Florida, where I played a number of rounds at the Hammock Beach Resort, playing both the excellent Nicklaus-designed Ocean Course (formerly known as Ocean Hammock) and Tom Watson's unheralded Conservatory course, which exceeded my expecations.  They are two courses worthy of discussion and I intend to get the ball rolling on that soon.

I’m not an architect nor am I in the business but I feel I can be an asset and regular contributor to your forums.  I look forward to getting started!

henrye

Re: Another New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 09:57:53 AM »
Great to have another fellow Canuck on the board.  Look forward to your comments & contributions.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »
Hi & Welcome Matt

At 35, I hope you are a walking golfer and not into carts.

The Freedom to have an opinion is what this site is all about.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »
Hi & Welcome Matt

At 35, I hope you are a walking golfer and not into carts.

The Freedom to have an opinion is what this site is all about.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Without question, I'm a walker and one who carries as well.

Unfortunately, newer courses like those at Hammock Beach and Eagles Nest have a lot of long distances between holes and walking wasn't an option available to us.

Thanks to both of you for your warm welcomes!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 10:39:03 PM by Matt Bosela »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 01:18:29 PM »
Welcome to another neighbor from the great white north.  No doubt in your couple years of lurking here, you have noticed that sometimes a fun hockey side track occurs.  I'm guessing you know a bit about that subject too!  ;) ;D

Will look at your blog link knowing that a fellow that goes to that length has got to be a true GCA nut case like the rest of us in the treehouse...  ::) ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »
Yes, Matt, welcome. I look forward to your contributions, especially as a fellow Canadian (Toronto-born, but now on the move).  And yes, you'll find a special affinity with the RJ's of the world from the US great lake states, who like us hunker down for six months in the winter with nothing to do golf-wise but "think"

Peter

Matt Bosela

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »
Welcome to another neighbor from the great white north.  No doubt in your couple years of lurking here, you have noticed that sometimes a fun hockey side track occurs.  I'm guessing you know a bit about that subject too!  ;) ;D

Will look at your blog link knowing that a fellow that goes to that length has got to be a true GCA nut case like the rest of us in the treehouse...  ::) ;) ;D

Another hockey-nut indeed.  It was another tough year for this long-suffering Sabres fan! ;) 

There wasn't much to cheer about in Buffalo this year but I do remember an off-topic post about the NHL Winter Classic, an event I happened to attend as a Sabres season-ticket holder.

Definitely a great event, with the inclimate weather being the star attraction.

Peter:

You're certainly right about our 'hibernation' in the winter months - one of the main reasons I joined the site was to be able to keep talking golf 12 months a year.  ;)

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 08:55:01 PM »
Every now and then I listen to CBC's Hockey Night in Canada on the satellite radio and at the beginning of the show they play an old radio clip: " Hello Canada and hockey fans from the United States and Newfoundland."

What the significance of this quote and why is Newfoundland recognized from the rest of Canada?

Matt Bosela

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »
Every now and then I listen to CBC's Hockey Night in Canada on the satellite radio and at the beginning of the show they play an old radio clip: " Hello Canada and hockey fans from the United States and Newfoundland."

What the significance of this quote and why is Newfoundland recognized from the rest of Canada?

Actually, the man behind the quote was Foster Hewitt and he used that quote because Newfoundland was a British colony before becoming part of Canada in 1949.

I wish I could tell you I knew that before you asked but I cheated and checked Wikipedia for the answer  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back