News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Re: A short par 3 at the US Open
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 01:59:31 AM »
A lot of the long hitting "bomb and gouge" type players will struggle mightily with short shots into stiff winds. What a great way to encourage a variety of shot-making skills. Guys like Corey Pavin get a chance to really shine.

I especially like the idea of the hole playing from drastically different yardages and angles from day to day.

I just saw a note that Pavin didn't enter this year... Oops. ::)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 02:04:31 AM »
Oh boy, a 9-iron down a hill.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 09:39:07 AM »
Every course should have one 110 yard hole.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:24 AM »

Well, when you put it that way...

How about a know down 8, or a wedge a wedge held up against a hurting right to left wind  or a..... ?????
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »

Well, when you put it that way...

How about a know down 8, or a wedge a wedge held up against a hurting right to left wind  or a..... ?????

Let's hope!   ;D

But I spent a lot of time playing Torrey Pines as a kid, and although there is a consistent 5 or 8 mph breeze in the afternoon, it rarely gets anything like "windy" there.

Mike Benham

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2008, 02:21:26 PM »

But I spent a lot of time playing Torrey Pines as a kid, and although there is a consistent 5 or 8 mph breeze in the afternoon, it rarely gets anything like "windy" there.

The American Cuppers will agree with you ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »

I spent a lot of time playing Torrey Pines as a kid, and although there is a consistent 5 or 8 mph breeze in the afternoon, it rarely gets anything like "windy" there.

Drat.

JohnV

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
Pete, what about #10 as a driveable par 4? I seem to remember playing a forward tee and getting within about 20/30 yds of that green. I am sure the pros could drive it.

I don't think the white tee would be close enough. Since I haven't played the red ones I don't know if they are in the right range; it is possible but think of the shame and horror playing the US Mens Open off a woman's tee. :o

The 2nd at Oakmont was played from the "woman's tee" on the weekend in order to give the players a chance to drive it.  There is only one tee box on #2 at Oakmont and they put it at the front.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back