News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

A short par 3 at the US Open
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:51:30 PM »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Rich Goodale

Re: A short par 3 at the US Open
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »
Agreed, Kyle

Was there a mobile brain transplant van passing through Far Hills recently?

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »
Unfortunately there are limits to the number of good ideas the USGA has with this US Open.  Although I selflessly look forward to watching the 3rd and 4th rounds from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm here in New England, I feel sorry for those in the UK and Europe.  At least with a 7:00 pm finish in New England (4:00 pm in San Diego), they would have a finish by midnight in the UK.

But why would those in Europe even bother watching if the last pairing well not even start until about 11:00 pm their time.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
As anyone who as at Oakmont last year would know, Mike Davis is willing to do lots of interesting things like moving tees up on holes.  On various days last year, 2, 14 and 17 were all moved up to encourage players to go for the green.

Mike gets it. :)

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 04:44:38 PM »
As anyone who as at Oakmont last year would know, Mike Davis is willing to do lots of interesting things like moving tees up on holes.  On various days last year, 2, 14 and 17 were all moved up to encourage players to go for the green.

Mike gets it. :)

John told me this about Davis while playing. It was a relief to hear.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:47:12 PM »
I think short par 3's are great tests. It really equalizes the field and forces the players to hit good shots and most players are using the same club (wedges). And it is a very good idea.

Chris Kane

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »
But why would those in Europe even bother watching if the last pairing well not even start until about 11:00 pm their time.

Have you ever thought about what it takes to be a golf fan in Australia?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »
A lot of the long hitting "bomb and gouge" type players will struggle mightily with short shots into stiff winds. What a great way to encourage a variety of shot-making skills. Guys like Corey Pavin get a chance to really shine.

I especially like the idea of the hole playing from drastically different yardages and angles from day to day.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mike Bowline

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 05:40:20 PM »
It will be sweet watching the pros (and a few amateurs) play "aggressive" hole locations from the short, high-up, oblique-angle tee. So what if a few birdies are made!?

John Moore II

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »
Mark--great statement. I fully agree with that. I would almost say make a par 3 a half-par hole. Par 2 1/2 (yes, that sounds stupid, I know) But make the hole very short and allow the players to make a birdies if they can execute good shots. That evens the field far better than a 300 yard par 3 does. Lets us see how much real skill with the wedges Bubba and JB have against Pavin and other short hitters.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 08:28:29 PM »

Have you ever thought about what it takes to be a golf fan in Australia?

Actually I think the final pairing for the US Open may tee off about 7:30 am Monday morning.  Is that correct if the tee off about 2:30 pm San Diego time?
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Willie_Dow

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »
Does speed of play come into the occasion ?  Boatwright always said that  the par threes caused most of the jamups in the early rounds.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »
BACK TO THE FUTURE.........That is the yardage (give or take a couple) that the third used to play, before the Rees Jones remodel, and certainly when Torrey was my home course back in the 60s and 70s.

Tom
the pres

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:25:18 PM »
Willie--That may factor into it, but it seems like the USGA thinks the hole will play harder from the shorter yardage, so it would seem to me that a harder hole would cause the play to be even slower, rather than faster.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 09:36:10 PM »
I'm all for short holes, particularly par 3's,
but the idea that a 142 yard into the wind par three is tougher than a 195 yarder is delusional.
(but then the USGA told us for years that the ball wasn't going measurably farther either)

More interesting and more variety yes, but tougher no.

and who gets more practice hitting short irons into holes, Bubba or Pavin?
Will Pavin even qualify?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Moore II

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 09:41:18 PM »
Jeff-I can see how a shorter hole could be more difficult. It would all depend on how the green angles, wind speed and direction, pin placement, and maybe some other things. Perhaps it wouldn't play MORE difficult,  but it could play at least AS difficult

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »
The 14th hole at Bethpage Black measures 140 yards from the several yards on the front portion of the tee box to the middle of the green. In 2009 I am expecting to see a tee up there on the right hand side with the hole cut into the front left tongue.

That will be one brutally challenging little hole.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:19 PM »
Kenneth,
Of course they could use a disproportionately tough pin on the short hole to make it tougher, but to read the article it make it sound like a tour pro couldn't handle a 142 yard hole into the wind as easily as a 195 yarder (the wind might be from a different angle but it would still be a factor and arguably a crosswind is more difficult).
It even states how difficult it would be with a wedge in hand (why would they HAVE to hit a wedge?)and compares it to #7 at Pebble.
I'd like to see the author play #7 at Pebble from 192 yards in a strong wind and tell me it's not tougher at the longer yardage
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 10:55:18 AM »
It will be interesting to see if they also shorten one par 4 to make it driveable. The only real candidate is the 2cnd, which plays 360 yards from the white tees; there is a downslope 30 yards before the green which players could catch with a 310 yard carry that would put them on in two. This would of course not be an ideal place in the round for a driveable par 4; both for pace of play and tv excitement factor.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 11:06:17 AM »
I'd like to see the author play #7 at Pebble from 192 yards in a strong wind and tell me it's not tougher at the longer yardage

Especially since, at 192 yards, you'd be swinging from the Pacific.   ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 11:19:21 AM »

Especially since, at 192 yards, you'd be swinging from the Pacific.   ;)

Come on Scott,

Use your imagination, they could bring in a barge or something to plant the tee box on.  I am inclined to agree with jeff in principle though....I can't see how it would play any tougher if any.  I think this is just pre-spin being sent out by the USGA so people aren't schocked when they see a 140 yard par 3 at the US Open of all places.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 04:50:58 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-golfnotes&prov=ap&type=lgns

The USGA has a seemingly good idea. :o

Here are some photos that show what the new tee shot would look like. This idea was mentioned back in January. Don't forget there is a new tee on No. 16 also.

http://ww.uniontrib.com/sports/golf/20080123-9999-lz1x23buick3.html

Chuck Brown

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 04:55:45 PM »
It's a great idea, and I know that tee, although I have not played from it.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
I have played that tee, and it can be anywhere from a 3 iron to a PW depending on the time of day and winds. Late afternoon players will surely struggle.

Pete, what about #10 as a driveable par 4? I seem to remember playing a forward tee and getting within about 20/30 yds of that green. I am sure the pros could drive it.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 05:53:19 PM »
Pete, what about #10 as a driveable par 4? I seem to remember playing a forward tee and getting within about 20/30 yds of that green. I am sure the pros could drive it.

I don't think the white tee would be close enough. Since I haven't played the red ones I don't know if they are in the right range; it is possible but think of the shame and horror playing the US Mens Open off a woman's tee. :o
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back