News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: King's Putter out West....
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2008, 04:36:18 PM »
Bill - I was less than 10 in the 60s; but I was wondering the same thing.

;)

Steve Kline

« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2008, 04:54:03 PM »
I wasn't born until the mid 70s but wondered right away why it didn't say Furthur.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
So we're changing the name of this thing to the Merry Prankster Cup?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Bill_McBride

« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »
And we'll all quaff the Electric Kool-Aid  8)

By the way, Adam Clayman looks a lot like Neal Cassady, who drove the bus, and was also Jack Kerouac's real life sidekick in "On the Road."

Everybody should have grown up in Northern Cal back in the day.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:26:00 PM by Bill_McBride »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2008, 05:30:35 PM »
Kirk -

I want to win this month's nerd award by suggesting it be called "The Willa Cather Memorial".  That should keep the numbers down....

Peter

Kirk Gill

« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2008, 05:43:02 PM »
Yeah, Peter, that qualifies as a buzz kill.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tom Yost

« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »
Tim,

... we owe it to Ken Kavanaugh to see his work in consideration for him tolerating his brother these many years. 

I think Kavanaugh OWES US!  ;D

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2008, 06:01:34 PM »
Kirk -

I want to win this month's nerd award by suggesting it be called "The Willa Cather Memorial".  That should keep the numbers down....

Peter

I don't know, Peter.  For those of us who don't hunt or want to talk about golf architecture in the evenings, we could do a Cather book club. I think I still have my copies of The Professor's House and My Antonia from college in a box somewhere.  :)

Tim Pitner

« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2008, 06:07:32 PM »
And we'll all quaff the Electric Kool-Aid  8)

By the way, Adam Clayman looks a lot like Neal Cassady, who drove the bus, and was also Jack Kerouac's real life sidekick in "On the Road."

Neal Cassady grew up and later spent time in . . . Denver, CO.  The circle is complete. 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2008, 06:47:37 PM »
It needs to be said that this thing is not a thing yet.
 The numbers might be low once people see how BN has emulated Augusta so much that, today, we've tried a little experiment with a different color sand.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kalen Braley

« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
It needs to be said that this thing is not a thing yet.
 The numbers might be low once people see how BN has emulated Augusta so much that, today, we've tried a little experiment with a different color sand.

Lol...is that a turtle on the fairway? Wth?? We got 2 feet of the stuff here in the Wasatch Mountains.

And yes, we know its all pie in the sky stuff, but no harm in having a little fun in working out the fictional details.   ;D

Dan King

« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2008, 10:20:46 PM »
The original Further/Furthur is in no shape to go on this trip:

The good news -- it has been pulled out of the swamp.

Cheers,
Dan King
I find that the further I go back, the better things were, whether they happened or not.
 --Mark Twain

Allan Long

« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »
If this did indeed get off the ground and was played in Colorado, I was going to suggest something classy like the "Centennial Cup" (after our state nickname). But, after seeing the direction this thread has taken, that ship--er bus--has sailed.  ;D
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Jason Hines

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2008, 08:38:42 AM »
What were the possible dates on this? Hopefully later rather than sooner.  :-\

Scott Szabo

« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2008, 10:18:56 AM »
Jason,

No dates as of yet.  When I started this thread I was trying to gauge the level of interest, which seems quite high.  It was quite fun to watch all the threads leading up to and after the KP event.  I hope those that attended will chime in from time to time and offer suggestions, etc. as we move forward with possibly another event.

We need to come up with a course or courses to stage this event on.  Once we've determined that we can go forward. 

I would think it would have to be later in the summer before this could be pulled off.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2008, 02:28:36 AM »
Scott,

I think TH says it best.  Plan it and people will come.

Sure, the better the venue the more interest, but clearly from KP VI ... it's strongly about the camaraderie and chance to meet GCAers and ... get a little heckling going on ... along with some good discussions about GCA.  I wish I had made it to the Saturday dinner to experience KP VI to the fullest...

I think the suggested timing sounds good and it sounded like there were some definite good venues.

Make the call and make it happen.

Bus ... or no bus :-)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 02:30:55 AM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »
This is a great idea.

Jfaspen

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »
I really like the bus idea.. Esp if the event is to take place at one out of the way course..
Charter a bus that leaves late afternoon from an area course..  People who get in early can get out and play a round, others can meet at the course for a drink before heading out.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2008, 07:07:03 AM »
Well, I've just returned from hosting a rather large group. It would appear that Ballyneal can not handle much more than about 30 golfers, at once, without some concession to the mandatory caddy rule. I'm not saying it's undoable, but it will be a difficult task to pull off. However there is some good news. One of the principles at Bayside has offered the use of his bus, which seats 40.

This is still in the idea phase and I'm just throwing this out there so greater minds than mine can think around it.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »
30 creates demand

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2008, 09:18:02 AM »
This is just my luck.....I leave Denver, move to San Antonio, logon to GCA and BOOM! I find the Mountain states/Midwest event is in the planning stages. Air bus, land bus, water bus ::), whatever. I'd walk back to Colorado for an opportunity to be involved in this.

BVince

« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2008, 09:36:03 AM »
Sounds like fun to me.  How many caddies are at the 'neal'?  Could they double bag with each group or act as forecaddies to allow more players?
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Jfaspen

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2008, 01:14:53 PM »
Are there hotels in the area, or is all of the lodging on-site?

jf

Scott Szabo

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2008, 01:53:24 PM »
Jeff,

There is lodging nearby, both in Holyoke (about 10 miles) and Wray (about 25 miles), although staying on-site would be the best.  I'll leave the rest of this up to Adam, but will be willing to help put this together in any way I can.  If his club won't work out, then I'm sure something else can be arranged.  Although I wouldn't be as much help as some if this needs to be taken to a different locale.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

RJ_Daley

« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2008, 02:11:15 PM »
Maybe you can fly in some extra caddies to augment the short staff there in Holyoke?

Should the 'thing that ain't a thing yet' come together, for pre or post rounds, you gents ought to consider the trip up to Bayside for a round.  The golf is excellent, the club house is perfectly suited for this bunch. 

And, we've talked about a group at Cory Crandalls 'mom and pop' course in Ogalalla as an extra round for folks visiting the big 3 courses in that area.  I haven't had more fun than being with the gang that met out at Cory's for cold blustery fall golf for thehoot of it, and real Nebraska steak fry and poker at night. 

And, if it works out that Bally can only handle a very limitted number of guys, I would happily lead the overflow party to Bayside, or down to Wild Horse, particularly for guys that already have seen Bally, and let those that haven't, get a look at it.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back