News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Re: King's Putter out West....
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2008, 08:56:47 AM »
I was hoping the "event" Kalen and I tried to set up at Lakota Canyon/Redlands Mesa would be the start of something like this, but we only got one other taker (thanks Dan S!). In any case if it worked out I'd be interested in participating  :)

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2008, 09:24:29 AM »
I propose: The Frontier Cup, or the The Pioneers Cup.

Also, Scott I like your idea of getting to Sterling, especially for those flying to Denver. For a guy like me coming from Central Nebraska, I'd think a Ballyneal, Sterling, Gothenburg excursion would be fun.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2008, 09:29:29 AM »
How bout the Midwest Mashie? 

My favorite one so far, including my own submissions.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2008, 11:57:57 AM »
I was hoping the "event" Kalen and I tried to set up at Lakota Canyon/Redlands Mesa would be the start of something like this, but we only got one other taker (thanks Dan S!). In any case if it worked out I'd be interested in participating  :)

Andy,

When it all works out and the event is in full gear they will look back on us as the founding fathers!!   ;D Ok well maybe not, but at least one could do worse than being a legend in one's own mind.

I'd certainly be intererested in attending and think a MidWest Mashie event would be a blast.  Perhaps it'd be close enough for Barney to make an appearance.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2008, 12:07:38 PM »
As a general idea, how many courses/days/holes would this entail?

36? 54? Two or three courses?

Scott Szabo

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2008, 12:11:04 PM »
Tony,

I have no idea as to how many days, the number of holes, etc.  I will lean heavily on our friends in California in trying to set this up if there's enough interest.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Garland Bayley

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2008, 12:11:11 PM »
The Cowtown Cup?

Now you are getting close.

"Rocky Mountain Cup" :D

Warmer yet. But, you need to combine the concepts into

The Rocky Mountain Oyster Cup

with servings of said delicacy at Adam's club.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Leahy

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2008, 12:50:28 PM »

Now you are getting close.

"Rocky Mountain Cup" :D
Warmer yet. But, you need to combine the concepts into
The Rocky Mountain Oyster Cup
with servings of said delicacy at Adam's club.
[/quote]
The best yet ;D
I went to a Rockies baseball game and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a Rockie Mountain Oyster sandwich on one of the ballpark menues. I didn't have the "guts" to try it though. Where ever the Cup is held, I hope to be there.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2008, 03:18:21 PM »
I doubt I'd have the balls to eat Rocky Mountain oysters, unless I was "Rocky Mountain High," of course.

"That John Denver was full of sh!t, man." - Lloyd Christmas
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Garland Bayley

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »
Well then Kyle, maybe we can find a Chinese grocer and get you some pig's fallopian tubes which would be appropriate for someone without the "moxie" to eat Rocky Mountain Oysters.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ed_getka

« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2008, 04:51:27 PM »
Scott,
   Generally for KP we have 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday as the core of the event. That allows guys traveling in to get there on Friday and be ready to play on Saturday. Guys who need to leave Sunday evening to get back home have time after 18 to get to the airport. Sterling, Gothenburg, and other add-ons can be included for those who have more time.
   Check in with the Dixie Cup guys and see what they have done. You are well on your way already.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2008, 05:12:45 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for the input.  That kind of scenario would work perfectly for what has been discussed here.  The Friday before or the Monday immediately after could serve as an additional play at Wild Horse or here in Sterling for those who wanted.

Scott 
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2008, 05:14:42 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for the input.  That kind of scenario would work perfectly for what has been discussed here.  The Friday before or the Monday immediately after could serve as an additional play at Wild Horse or here in Sterling for those who wanted.

Scott 

Scott - that's also exactly what tends to happen - those so inclined add in more either Fri or Mon or both.

And as you can see, no matter where the venue, they tend to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2008, 05:23:09 PM »
Ed,

Scott 

Scott - that's also exactly what tends to happen - those so inclined add in more either Fri or Mon or both.

And as you can see, no matter where the venue, they tend to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Can't agree more...

I suspect the biggest all-time hit for a GCA event would be playing 54 holes at Jans National in Chicago with Sybil as the host!!!   ;D

Kalen

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2008, 05:29:31 PM »
hmmmmmm....

As much as I do love my friend sybil... and Jans National is something that needs to be experienced... well...

My bet is that if this Midwest Mashie or whatever it ends up being called gets set with Adam's home club as either the entirety or centerpiece of the event, this will be the all-time hit.

Although one always does go back to one's first love.  TKP-I likely will never be surpassed.  Barona + the ultimate party at Pete L's house plus Mr. Huntley getting most of us room refunds due to poor service.... ahhh... memories.....

Mike Benham

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2008, 07:35:38 PM »
I'll fly through Chicago for a go-round on the Jans ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tim Bert

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2008, 09:22:58 PM »
How did it go?

"I expect a propah showah"??

Beautiful. 

Guys, I've turned down 2 games this week already, telling people I've quit.

But this would bring me out of retirement, especially if we have a bus with a keg.

Sean, if you come you'll have to fly through Chicago just like Paul Turner did, in which case, we're doing a pre tourney event at the Jans...

I'd kill for Wild Horse and Adam's joint with a beer bus with strippers in between, and I don't even like strippers...

Shivas - I like how you have just returned from an epic golf trip 3 days ago, and you are talking about coming out of retirement.  You couldn't have even retired until Sunday afternoon.  You should also retire from posting since you are at a pretty cool #11111.  Don't screw it up by responding to me. 

I love the bus idea.  We could work out a route to gradually pick up each individual participating in the event.  Some guys would be on the bus for days; others potentially just hours.  I'll press Mike H. for more details next week over lunch.

Sean Leary

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2008, 09:29:47 PM »
A few of us might be able to probably offer up another club one state over in Hutchinson as well, one of these years..except Huck can't come.

;)

Jason Hines

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2008, 09:46:40 PM »
This bus idea is going to make me fly into Denver from KC just to get on the stupid bus, unless it goes down I-70.  Did we decide if the strippers were male or female?

Would be fun to hit a couple of older 9 holers on the way, WH or via Hutch.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2008, 01:36:17 AM »
The bus should start at the King's Putter and then move east, with the journey culminating at the Dixie Cup. Then we could hop on an Air Bus for the Buda.

Perhaps The Golf Channel could turn it into a reality show and finance the whole affair. It certainly wouldn't be their dullest offering. :-\ ::)

All I ask is that John Daly isn't invited for the duration. I demand shirt-wearing bus mates.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2008, 09:52:17 AM »
A few of us might be able to probably offer up another club one state over in Hutchinson as well, one of these years..except Huck can't come.

;)

I am after all a Roman Catholic.

Hopefully someone will get that.

Hey Sean, like I've said many times, if you plan it, they will come.  Even me.  I love to get beat up on courses that are tons of fun.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2008, 10:05:03 AM »
This bus idea is going to make me fly into Denver from KC just to get on the stupid bus, unless it goes down I-70.  Did we decide if the strippers were male or female?

In addition to strippers, I think we need a couple of wrestling midgets.  Like David Lee Roth.  Does anybody know Alice Cooper?  He'd come.  What the hell..the guy did Wayne's World, right?

We're going to need a couple of blackjack tables custom fit into the back so Barney will be lured out of his cage to come as well.  ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2008, 10:11:42 AM »
John Kavanaugh attend an event where more than one course is played?  "Hit and run" a great course like Balllyneal (or Jans National)?  Surely you jest.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2008, 10:38:15 AM »
You know, I was going to offer to help facilitate this, but these requests are going to be hard to fulfill!

Unless I try and combine the stripper with the midget, but that could be quite ugly..........

Jason Hines

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2008, 10:44:47 AM »
Scott, How tall are you? ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back