News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Re: King's Putter out West....
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 11:31:26 AM »

Tom,

I seem to recall on another thread that you had no more hall passes this year. I guess you held one back.  ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 11:34:29 AM »

Tom,

I seem to recall on another thread that you had no more hall passes this year. I guess you held one back.  ;)

Craig:  I tend to get one per year.  Anything else requires miracles.  Hell, I couldn't even play this past weekend at King's Putter 1/2-1 hour from home!

TH

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 11:41:48 AM »
Huck's impression that Holyoke is way out, is just plain wrong. The logistics are very easy. Numbers do not need to be held down with all the new rooms added. Two rounds would be the minimum to justify the travel and expense, and, could is easily accomplished in less than 24 hours with a great meal and good night sleep in between. People who did come would not be limited to 2 rounds, just those worried about their ratios.

I can't think of a better way to spend 24 hours.  I would definitely make the trip out.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 11:51:48 AM »
My bad, 50 + people might be a stretch for our caddie program. Numbers would have to be limited, I just don't know what that limit is.

I'll be over there this weekend and ask the caddiemaster what he thinks is doable.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »
Not to horn in but a chartered bus would be a blast to and from Adam's club.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kirk Gill

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 11:56:22 AM »
The Cowtown Cup?

If I can't make a GCA even that's being held right in my own backyard, then I'm a fool and a charlatan !

Alright, alright, I'm pretty much a fool and a charlatan, anyway.

Bring it on, gents! Unfortunately you can't ALL sleep at my house........
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Adam Clayman

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »
Maybe we can swell the town long enough to have the places name changed to... to..

../
HolyDoak.

Sheryl actually just pulled a new Trophy from the kiln. I believe the first cup is somewhere in N.C. (or is it in Texas?)

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 12:12:21 PM »
Just my .02 here, fellas. If you play at Holyoke, you should be required to drive to Gothenburg as well (it's two hours), but you can't take the interestate. You have to drive NE Rte 23 and see how many golf holes you can find.

Maybe something like this:

Mike Benham

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 12:48:37 PM »
Still nadda in the Northeast....for you newbies...the USGA might have a NE bias, but GCA swings to CA and the Southeast....

You can't have it all ... you will have to be satisfied with the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »
I visit a friend in Denver area every other year over the July 4 holiday and the weather has been great. I also found that travel between courses at least compared to my home state Calif. is very easy except at rush hour around downtown Denver. Count me in for the first
"Rocky Mountain Cup" :D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Benham

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »

DING DING DING !!!   We have a winner ....

Ps:  When does hunting season open?  Are dogs invited ?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »

DING DING DING !!!   We have a winner ....

Having done this in Scotland, I can attest to the joys of the rolling cocktail party.  Hendren's genius remains intact.

;D

Joe Perches

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 02:09:38 PM »
I'll offer up a [] venue.

Being unable to attend the last event, I'd like to attend this one.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »

It just takes a few guys (or one!) to cease talking and start dialing.

TH

Is that a hint Huck?!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Scott Szabo

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 05:31:33 PM »
Maybe somebody in the treehouse can join at Sand Hills, someone else at Dismal River? I'll spot them 0.005% of the intitiation fees. ;D

That's quite generous of you, Kyle  ;D
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 05:33:08 PM »

It just takes a few guys (or one!) to cease talking and start dialing.

TH

Is that a hint Huck?!

LOL!
Glad you caught it.

And I mean to exert no pressure - not that it matters a whole hell of a lot what I say - but over the years I have witnessed too many good ideas die a short death due to lack of action, and a few gain a wonderful life due to action.  That really is all it takes.  

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 09:47:09 PM »
Given how I really really really regret not going to the King's Putter this month, especially reading the recent posts detailing the experience, I would most certainly love to make a trip out to Colorado for this.  Last year's Dixie Cup was close to the most fun I've ever had on and off a golf course.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
The best part about it would be arriving early and staying late... Talk about a beautiful idea ;)

1. The Prairie Cup
2. The Midwest Medalist (cliche, I know)

Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tony Petersen

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 10:03:59 PM »
Scott - yep, that's what it was, and we still had a lot of fun.  At least I did... and I saw a lot of smiles... beat up smiles for sure, but smiles nonetheless.

The heat almost added to the fun... It was soooo hot ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

J Sadowsky

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »
Now we just need a few ritzy folk in the Hamptons, and we can have our 4 majors :-P

Ash Towe

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2008, 03:20:58 AM »
Good luck to the guys who try to get this together.

I would like to get to a GCA event one day.  Mid-summer could be the best time.

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2008, 03:41:39 AM »
How bout the Midwest Mashie?  I have a mashie or two of dubious quality and in suitably terrible condition that I would gladly offer to the golfing gods as a trophy of no distinction.  Including "Midwest" in the title has the benefit of encompassing the entire midwest and therefore perhaps more opportunity for some to step up with ideas in their near locations.  Perhaps even flatlanders like JakaB could get on board with some ideas!  Furthermore, the trophy would come from a true midwesterner (is there such a word?), in the oldest sense of the word who might even be persuaded to return to the land of his birth for an event such as this. 

With my case presented, I hereby offer a mashie to the tournament committee as a prize to be offered to the winning team of this event. 

BTW Colorado is not, nor ever has been part of the midwest.  The tournament committee will have to offer special dispensation which would in effect allow for the annexation of Colorado to the midwest as its 13th member - if memory serves me correctly. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:20:06 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve Kline

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2008, 06:05:37 AM »
How about the Blue/Red Cup - so you could you play blue states versus red states? It's always nice to a tie-in for the teams and that way more than just the "midwest" can be included in the center of the country for possible venues.

Jason Hines

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2008, 08:35:38 AM »
Denver used to be a huge cow-town and the eastern half of the state is far more Midwestern than western.  IMHO we are in the clear on dispensation for a Midwestern title.

Scott, Adam, how about incorporating a couple of courses with the small town flare?  Sand Greens, community pride etc.  I can think of a couple in Nebraska besides Wild Horse, any ideas?

Scott Szabo

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »
Jason,

I would certainly offer up my home club here in Sterling, which is about 60 miles from Adam's club.  There are numerous courses close by to Wild Horse that could make that area quite appealing as well.

I'm open to any and all ideas - I just threw out the initial topic to see if there was any interest, and it appears as if there is.

My initial concern is driving time between courses and hotel accomodations.
Although BN, SH and DR all have onsite accomodations  ;)

Seroiusly though, I wouldn't care where we got together, but it certainly would be great to do something like this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back