News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Re: King's Putter out West....
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2008, 10:47:31 AM »
Scott, How tall are you? ;D

I'm not ugly......

;D
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Mike Hendren

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2008, 12:17:13 PM »
Tim, no pick-ups.  Bus leaves a designated location with safe, approved parking at a certain time - you snooze, you lose.   I cannot abide strippers so in consideration will pay for a keg if someone can arrange to pick it up - even if I cannot attend.

It's the least I can do.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Pitner

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2008, 12:23:42 PM »
Seriously, folks . . .

Great idea, Scott--a GCA event in my neck of the woods would be great. 

If the plan were to trek to eastern Colorado, it might make sense to tie in some courses in Denver, especially if people were flying into DIA.  Riverdale Dunes (Dye with Doak), Murphy Creek (Kavanaugh) and Fossil Trace (Engh) would be public options; there are certainly privates worth playing as well, but I can't really help there. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »
Tim,

Fossil Trace is a blast and we owe it to Ken Kavanaugh to see his work in consideration for him tolerating his brother these many years.  These two plus a bus trip east would make a great event.

Mike

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »
Tim/Michael:

You two do realize that said brother has torn me a new ass for quite awhile now for having the temerity to suggest that one could possibly travel to that area and plany ANY golf other than 100% of all rounds at Ballyneal, right?

Prepare to get similarly torn...

Oh hell, what am I talking about?  He clearly saves such tearing for me.

TH

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »
Seriously, folks . . .

Great idea, Scott--a GCA event in my neck of the woods would be great. 

If the plan were to trek to eastern Colorado, it might make sense to tie in some courses in Denver, especially if people were flying into DIA.  Riverdale Dunes (Dye with Doak), Murphy Creek (Kavanaugh) and Fossil Trace (Engh) would be public options; there are certainly privates worth playing as well, but I can't really help there. 

Tim -- A wonderful idea, and, of course if anyone is driving from the east a stop at Wild Horse would be prudent either on the way there or the way back.

Tony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2008, 12:34:52 PM »
Tim/Michael:

You two do realize that said brother has torn me a new ass for quite awhile now for having the temerity to suggest that one could possibly travel to that area and plany ANY golf other than 100% of all rounds at Ballyneal, right?

TH

Tom,

It would appear that JK clearly has a preference for your backside, more so than others.  I'm guessing KK was the lead associate at Fossil Trace?  The course looks to be a blast and would think it should be highly considered if a GCA outing is to be planned in that area.

Now back to the bus....I've got a few more requests!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2008, 12:35:31 PM »

Quote from: Garland Bayley
Now you are getting close.

"Rocky Mountain Cup" :D
Warmer yet. But, you need to combine the concepts into
The Rocky Mountain Oyster Cup
with servings of said delicacy at Adam's club.
The best yet ;D
I went to a Rockies baseball game and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a Rockie Mountain Oyster sandwich on one of the ballpark menues. I didn't have the "guts" to try it though. Where ever the Cup is held, I hope to be there.

Did I mention that the trophy would be a cup, you know one of those cups that protects someones oysters.
Sybil of course would be disqualified from holding the cup.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Pitner

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2008, 12:39:22 PM »
Tim/Michael:

TH

Tom,

I'm familiar with your discussion with John, but I was thinking of the precedent set--my understanding is that the King's Putter, Dixie Cup and Buda Cup all include more than one course.  Wild Horse or a certain other Nebraska course would be fantastic, but logistically, it might be easier to play a Denver course or two. 

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Tom,

I'm familiar with your discussion with John, but I was thinking of the precedent set--my understanding is that the King's Putter, Dixie Cup and Buda Cup all include more than one course.  Wild Horse or a certain other Nebraska course would be fantastic, but logistically, it might be easier to play a Denver course or two. 

Tim -- Logistically, nothing works for Ballyneal. It's 174 miles to Denver and 146 to Gothenburg. Really, Scott's mention of Sterling CC would be best. Obviously, if you fly in to DIA playing a Denver course is prudent. If I'm driving from Grand Island, NE it doesn't make much sense.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
Gents, it's only said brother who has any issues with this... as he has issues with many things.  I just felt like calling him out.  I am sure I will regret it.

But yes, this all does follow previous precedent.  Bottom line more importantly is that this trip sounds like more fun than married guys are allowed to have to me.  If it occurs I shall sell my marital soul to get there.

TH

Tim Pitner

« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
Tony, 

I live in Denver . . .  ;)

Of course, you're right--Ballyneal is out there.  I was thinking, though, that there might be more of a critical mass of people in Denver or flying into Denver.  My apologies for slighting those coming from the other direction. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »
Tony, 

Of course, you're right--Ballyneal is out there.  I was thinking, though, that there might be more of a critical mass of people in Denver or flying into Denver.  My apologies for slighting those coming from the other direction. 

Tim,

The reality is your assumption is likely correct.... I think.  And as Huck always says, plan it and they will come regardless if a few are coming from a different direction and will miss out on the rolling debauchry party!!!

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
Tony, 

Oh, Tim you are spot on. I don't disagree at all. I just hope the if there are a few driving from the east that we may still get to partake even if I don't go and play Fossil Trace or Murphy Creek (which I'd really love to do actually.....)

I think we'll all know what will be the best thing to do once we figure out if it's even doable and then figuring out who can make it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »
Tim,

Fossil Trace is a blast and we owe it to Ken Kavanaugh to see his work in consideration for him tolerating his brother these many years.  These two plus a bus trip east would make a great event.

Mike

I doubt and don't know if Kavanaugh did any work at Fossil trace.  He did design Murphy Creek which is the home of this years Public Links Championship.  I personally am more interested in seeing some of the great modern players of our day play Murphy Creek than the chance of another Mary Pop-ups sighting.

I don't get the fuss between me and Huck.  I just smile at the thought of him traveling to Colorado for golf.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:51:41 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2008, 01:54:01 PM »
I did not mean to imply that Kavanaugh worked on Fossil Trace but rather that it and Murphy Creek would be a good tandem in Denver.

Mike

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »
No fuss here, John.  But you must smile a lot as I've done that at least 6 times in the past.  I have some great friends in Denver.  But oh yeah, that's all you mean, uh huh.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
Murphy Creek is also easily reachable from DIA, just south down 470 a bit. Riverdale is also an easy reach, just north of DIA. Fossil Trace out in Golden is a bit more of a hoof, but nothing compared to Holyoke.

Let me know, I know a guy who rents out a bus........sans midgets.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »
I have "played" Ballyneal and Murphy Creek in the same day.  It is a mere jaunt.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2008, 02:44:56 PM »

You know,

We never got to use the bus out in cali.  But I'm thinking we find one in CO to ride in style... we'll be the biggest hit in Holyoke since Ballyneal.  ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »
If you go play Murphy Creek have exact change for the unmanned toll booth.  I was mailed a ticket when even using a rental.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2008, 02:59:54 PM »
If you go play Murphy Creek have exact change for the unmanned toll booth.  I was mailed a ticket when even using a rental.

I "played" Murphy Creek two weeks ago--the toll booths are manned now. 

Scott Szabo

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »

You know,

We never got to use the bus out in cali.  But I'm thinking we find one in CO to ride in style... we'll be the biggest hit in Holyoke since Ballyneal.  ;D

I bet Rupert would die if that thing pulled into his parking lot!!!

Seriously, Adam was kind enough to throw out his club as a possibility, but I'd think the club itself would have to be included in the plans for this to come together.  I believe it is a tight-knit membership who wouldn't want their gem to be overtaken for a weekend by this crew without thinking things through.  However, from what I can imagine, the revenue off of the drinks alone could make this appealing....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Adam Clayman

« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »
Something tells me Rupert might just like that bus. It sure would make a nice hazard on one of the Grateful Dunes courses.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:54:09 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

You know,

I bet Rupert would die if that thing pulled into his parking lot!!!

Seriously, Adam was kind enough to throw out his club as a possibility, but I'd think the club itself would have to be included in the plans for this to come together.  I believe it is a tight-knit membership who wouldn't want their gem to be overtaken for a weekend by this crew without thinking things through.  However, from what I can imagine, the revenue off of the drinks alone could make this appealing....

Isn't that destination sign supposed to say "FURTHER?"

[This is a secret test of who's been around since the '60s!  ;) ]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back