News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

For those that have never been to a GCA event
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
If you've never been to a GCA event, you owe it to yourself to do so.  My first one was last year's Dixie Cup.  I was a little nervous about signing up since I didn't know any of the other participants already.  I also worried about skill levels and the competition being too serious.  If any of those factors keep someone from participating, they shouldn't.  I can tell you that:
1.  Your skill level shouldn't be a problem.  For sure you won't hit the worst shot or have the worst performance in event history.
2.  No one takes it too serious (at least if you overlook the hell a certain unnamed USGA rules official was giving me over scoring of a match :D)
3.  You will meet a great group of people and actually knowing some of the other members on the site will enhance your enjoyment of it and GCA in general. 

I didn't want this to get missed among the KP-specific discussion, hence the additional post.  My apologies to anyone who feels that inappropriate.  However, with the next Dixie Cup in its planning stages, I wanted to go ahead and mention this.

My heartfelt thanks goes to everyone that I've met.  Just wish I could have played golf with each of you.  Maybe next time.....

Tony_Chapman

Re: For those that have never been to a GCA event
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:28:37 PM »
John -- I whole-heartedly agree. Living in Nebraska, I NEVER get to do this stuff. So, when Mike Sweeney e-mailed me in 2005 about playing with a group at Wild Horse I jumped. Walking that place with Mr. Sweeney and senor Huckaby that morning was one of golf's many highlights for me.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »
If you've never been to a GCA event, you owe it to yourself to do so.  My first one was last year's Dixie Cup.  I was a little nervous about signing up since I didn't know any of the other participants already.  I also worried about skill levels and the competition being too serious.  If any of those factors keep someone from participating, they shouldn't.  I can tell you that:
1.  Your skill level shouldn't be a problem.  For sure you won't hit the worst shot or have the worst performance in event history.
2.  No one takes it too serious (at least if you overlook the hell a certain unnamed USGA rules official was giving me over scoring of a match :D)
3.  You will meet a great group of people and actually knowing some of the other members on the site will enhance your enjoyment of it and GCA in general. 

I didn't want this to get missed among the KP-specific discussion, hence the additional post.  My apologies to anyone who feels that inappropriate.  However, with the next Dixie Cup in its planning stages, I wanted to go ahead and mention this.

My heartfelt thanks goes to everyone that I've met.  Just wish I could have played golf with each of you.  Maybe next time.....

John
Could not agree more.  While I have played individual rounds with other GCA'ers this was the first time I attended an event like the Kings Putter.  It was fabulous and yes I won't hesitate to DQ you when necessary ;) ;D :o
Best
Dave

Kirk Gill

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »
Research shows that over 40% of those who have never attended a GCA event cite intimidation as a barrier to their participation.   ;)
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 02:56:43 PM »
Research shows that over 40% of those who have never attended a GCA event cite intimidation as a barrier to their participation.   ;)

Kirk, intimidated by what or whom?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »

Bill,

Personally I am intimidated by Tiger Bernhardt's logo collection.  :D ;) :'(

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »
As a first time GCA event crasher I couldn't agree more with John's assessment.  The golf is only half the fun with the camraderie, drinks, laughs, and teasing being the other half.  I know they can be out of the way and costly but this KP was worth every effort to get there.

As for D Miller, watch out when in his group...all the rulings time and time again always went his or his playing partners way!!   ;)

Tim Bert

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »

As for D Miller, watch out when in his group...all the rulings time and time again always went his or his playing partners way!!   ;)

Kalen - My understanding is that when it takes you four shots to get out of a bunker you have to count all four strokes whether or not you are in Dave Miller's group.   :)

Kirk Gill

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »

I'm easily intimidated. Good golfers intimidate me. Great courses intimidate me. Starters with bad attitudes intimidate me. The notion of eating turtle soup intimidates me.

But really, I was just joking based on a recent thread about what is keeping people away from golf. The only things keeping me from participating in a GCA event are my kids' schedules, a lack of disposable income, and of course those things I mentioned above.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »

Kalen - My understanding is that when it takes you four shots to get out of a bunker you have to count all four strokes whether or not you are in Dave Miller's group.   :)

Ayyy Tim, all four strokes were counted along with the tee shot before I picked up as my partner had 4 in hand.  I did get one ball out of the bunker...but unfortunately it flew into the bunker accross the green.   :'(

Dave_Miller

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »
As a first time GCA event crasher I couldn't agree more with John's assessment.  The golf is only half the fun with the camraderie, drinks, laughs, and teasing being the other half.  I know they can be out of the way and costly but this KP was worth every effort to get there.

Ask Shivasto explain the ruling he got at Pasatiempo ;)
Best
Dave

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »

I'm easily intimidated. Good golfers intimidate me. Great courses intimidate me. Starters with bad attitudes intimidate me. The notion of eating turtle soup intimidates me.

But really, I was just joking based on a recent thread about what is keeping people away from golf. The only things keeping me from participating in a GCA event are my kids' schedules, a lack of disposable income, and of course those things I mentioned above.

Well, come on anyway!  There will be one close enough to you and your wife will probably give you a pass!

Dan Chapman

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »
While I have read a decent amount about these events, I am still not 100% sure on the details of them.  If someone could enlighten a newbie I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, what level of golfer usually participates in these?

Thank you in advance,
Dan Chapman

Tim Bert

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 09:39:58 PM »
While I have read a decent amount about these events, I am still not 100% sure on the details of them.  If someone could enlighten a newbie I would greatly appreciate it.  Also, what level of golfer usually participates in these?

Thank you in advance,
Dan Chapman

Dan,

What kind of details would you like?  At a high level, look for postings about upcoming Dixie Cup (Southeast US), King's Putter Cup (California), or Buda Cup (British Isles)

The events (at least the ones in the states) are set up loosely like a Ryder Cup format with some team matches and some individual matches.  Everyone likes to win, but no one gets too hung up on the competition.  We play whatever courses the organizer sets up, we meet great guys, have dinner, have drinks, etc.  EVERYONE has a great time.  I've never seen anyone walking away from one of these events pissed off that they showed up.

I just started going last fall.  I was a little hesitant at first because it seems overwhelming to show up somewhere and play golf with 30 guys you've never met.  After you attend your first one, you never have to worry about that - you'll always know someone at the next one.  Even if you don't you won't care because most of these guys are so easy to get along with.

Now that I've been to one Dixie Cup and one KPC, I can't wait to get to another.  Last week was an absolute blast.

As to level of golfer, I think we had everything from scratch or slightly better on up to 20+ handicaps.  Unless you are Tiger Woods or a 40 handicapper, there will probably be others of similar ability.  Regardless of ability, there will be others with whom you will get along famously.     

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 09:47:59 PM »
Tim, John, Etal,

I felt that the caliber of the players was only outdone by the truly great guys you shared stories with afterwards- what a great trip! I intend to play in the Dixie Cup now that my swing guru Bob, has transformed my game!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »
Tim Bert's explanation is a good one.  It's sort of like a convention w/o the name tags.  It's just structured enough to have fun, but not too formal.  Some people may only play 18, some may play 36. Some walk, some ride.  Some use cheater lines, some don't.  My biggest worry was not knowing anyone at the Dixie Cup last year, but that lasted for about one hole.  Too much in common not to have a good time.

I'm not a tournament player at all and an 8 that plays to more like a 14 and fit right in.  Whatever you do, don't think some of the occasionally contentious threads are what people are like at an event.  Couldn't be further from the truth.

Hey Jack,
I need details about this swing guru!

Jim Thompson

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »
If you can make it, DO IT!  I'm sure there will be someone that you will consider a kindred spirit and a couple folks you'll laugh at as well.  The good news is that there is someone to fill those roles for everyone.  Just be careful if someone passes you a flask or a pipe.  You never know what's in either one!!  But I guarantee they're both inspiring!

EDIT:  The other great thing that comes out of one of these get togethers is you get to realize the tone in which folks post.  You get a better feel for who the person is that's posting and how to read their material.  I'll be the first to admit that it makes a huge difference!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:27:52 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 12:44:25 AM »
Get out of your shells gents and make some connections. I've had a great time on the course with GCAers...in facts, I'm playing with some PNW gents this coming Sunday!

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 04:14:46 AM »
I concur with what others have written.  I have only been to three GCA events and all were memorable for the people and the venues.  I recall the first event I played at Littlestone/Deal.  I showed up in the afternoon.  Somehow, I knew who Rihc was - the man just looked like a Rihc.  As his partner in the afternoon foursomes he guided me round Littlestone in a most gentlemanly manner.  It was a great introduction to GCA.com and meeting some of the guys did help me to understand their online personas.  That first meeting also fostered a few good relationships which have resulted in the odd game here and there.  In many ways these "individual" games are more rewarding and offer a chance of developing stronger bonds. 

I have strong though not necessarily important images of a few guys.

Philip Gawith: He drove through Doc Hiseman and myself on the 1st green at Littlestone.  In a later game with Philip he confirmed his status as the African Animal due to his prodigious length off the tee. 

JakaB: Two scenes.  Before ever meeting him, the man gave me $50 to defer the cost of playing Pinehurst.  I didn't know what to make of this and I still don't.  The second memory is of John leaning back in a bar chair at Pine Needles drinking some "slimming" type of mixture with gin (I think).  I noticed he wasn't wearing socks and I thought this sums up the difference between golf in The States and that in GB&I as well as anything.

Brent Tomahawk Hutto: I still feel bad about his driver breaking after a "light" toss toward his bag because I was the one who suggested we move back a tee for the afternoon game.  In all fairness, I didn't know there was a carry hole which would test Brent's length.  However, I still laugh when I think about the incident.  It was rather bizarre on a few levels.

Doug Braunsdorf:  This guy loves his golf.  I don't think I have ever experienced anything quite like his intensity on a golf course.  The man gets jacked up! 

Pete Buczkowski: The look on his face was precious after hearing me say "piss off" to his request to play through during a game at Mid Pines.  I am sure he now knows not to take me seriously even if I am being serious!

Jeff Goldman:  I am sorry to say I haven't had the pleasure of a game with him.  A man who can dance like he does on the tee deserves an audience.

Craig Disher:  What can you say?  He's a proper chap and that is immediately apparent upon meeting him.

Tony Muldoon: He doesn't like an Irishman, but don't mistake him for anything else!  Oh yeah, he could be accussed of being a sand bagger.  Get yer ball next to his in a throwup.

I could go on, but what is the point?  Everybody should make an effort to see some fellow GCAers because in a very real sense, we really are part of a club. 

One final thought, the guys who organize these events really bust their butts and I am impressed to no end at how well they turn out.  These guys really do deserve full support because the alternative is much less fun.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 06:34:12 AM »
Sean

I agree with everything you say, except calling me "gentlemanly."  That was only a facade to inspire you to some great golf.  That being said.......

There are now 3 "Majors" on the GCA.com Rota--The King's Putter, The Budpest Cup and The Dixie Cup--as well a various Satellite events (Hillbilly Tour, etc.).  Just as in professional boxing this is increasingly leading to confusion and, can I say, multifarcation?

Which means........It's time for a Unifying Contest!  The best of KP vs. Buda vs. Dixie--Raw, No Holds Barred, Marquess of Morrissett Rules.  Winners talk, losers walk!

There is only one place and time for this event--the grand opening of Cabot Links!

I've already provisionally booked my flight to Hudson Bay.

Rich

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 10:01:34 AM »
Sean

I agree with everything you say, except calling me "gentlemanly."  That was only a facade to inspire you to some great golf.  That being said.......

There are now 3 "Majors" on the GCA.com Rota--The King's Putter, The Budpest Cup and The Dixie Cup--as well a various Satellite events (Hillbilly Tour, etc.).  Just as in professional boxing this is increasingly leading to confusion and, can I say, multifarcation?

Which means........It's time for a Unifying Contest!  The best of KP vs. Buda vs. Dixie--Raw, No Holds Barred, Marquess of Morrissett Rules.  Winners talk, losers walk!

There is only one place and time for this event--the grand opening of Cabot Links!

I've already provisionally booked my flight to Hudson Bay.

Rich

A better idea has never been stated in this august forum.

If you organize it, they will come.

;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »
Amen Rich, notify the Mounties, the GCAers are .coming, the GCAers are .coming!.  ;D ;) 8)

Pretty soon we will have to start to consider giving out an award for the one who has attended the most of all these main and side events.  Bill McBride seems to be firmly in the lead.  Even America's guest can't come close...  ;)

then there is also the most "overserved" award, the most "dorky" award, and the most "loud snoring roomate award"

All plenty of reasons why everyone has a fighting chance to win something...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »
Dick,

I give you the Bo and Luke Duke award after trying to keep up with your caddy after our round at Erin Hills.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Benham

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »

... and the most "loud snoring roomate award"

I can provide a couple of nominees for this award ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brad Tufts

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »
To Mike Young vis-a-vis Dixie Cup 07...the "Why are we building individual shower stalls?" award.  ;D
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back