News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Nemacolin
« on: May 01, 2008, 08:15:01 AM »
I'll be attending a conference at Nemacolin in June, and should have time for two rounds.  Right now, I'm scheduled to play Mystic Rock twice.  Should I switch one of those to the Valley course and/or some other course outside the resort but nearby?

PThomas

Re: Nemacolin
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:37:55 AM »
do NOT play the other course Carl!  not sure what else is in the area...Nemacolin is pretty good though
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:52:18 AM »
Kind of funny - I'd probably just as soon play the other course as Mystic Rock. But then, I've been outspoken in my feelings about MR, it just doesn't do much for me.

I believe Nemacolin Country Club was designed by one of the classic guys - JohnV would know for sure - but I don't know how good it is or how difficult it is to get on.

Lots of other great courses in western PA if you don't mind driving and have a few connections. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »
Mystic Rock is considerably better than the second course at Nemacolin.  I never played the second course, but I did measure it in preparation for a course rating and there are a lot of fairly bland holes.  Mystic Rock is quite good and difficult if you don't play the correct tees.

Nemacolin Country Club is about 25 miles from Nemacolin Woodlands.  I believe it was originally done by Loeffler and then reworked by Tillinghast.  It is a good course on some good terrain.

Uniontown Country Club is the closest course to NW.  It is ok with some quirky holes.

Jason Connor

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:23:29 AM »
Mystic Rocks is a Dye course, feels like a Dye course.

The owner of Nemacolin, Joe Hardy, also owns 84 Lumber.  He wanted a Tour Course and was willing to spend whatever it took to get there.

Then his daughter took over the business and said, See Ya! to the tour after Joe made it a desirable tour stop in a very short amount of time.

Mystic Rocks is fun, nothing spectacular.  I haven't played the other.  I don't know of other interesting courses very close by.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Jason McNamara

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 06:21:27 PM »
The area architecture to go visit is Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, which is maybe 10 miles away.

http://www.paconserve.org/index-fw1.asp

Matt OBrien

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »
I thought nemacolin was a great course to play once. I wouldnt play it two days in a row and i would never pay there two days in a row. try to find another course in the area and i would not suggest the other course there

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:00:10 PM »
Mystic Rock is considerably better than the second course at Nemacolin.  I never played the second course, but I did measure it in preparation for a course rating and there are a lot of fairly bland holes.  Mystic Rock is quite good and difficult if you don't play the correct tees.

Nemacolin Country Club is about 25 miles from Nemacolin Woodlands.  I believe it was originally done by Loeffler and then reworked by Tillinghast.  It is a good course on some good terrain.

Uniontown Country Club is the closest course to NW.  It is ok with some quirky holes.

John:
Is Nemacolin CC good enough to make the effort to try to get on?  I don't have any connections that I know of.
Thanks,
Carl

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back