News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

New Member Introduction
« on: April 27, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »
Hello Everyone:

I’m a recent addition to this discussion group and wanted to introduce myself.  I’ve been a long-time admirer and reader of GCA, which I’ve found to be a terrific site with incredibly interesting and helpful information.  During that period, I was content to simply read the posts in the discussion group, but some recent discussions got me thinking that I'd like to be able to actively post as a participant, and that I might have something meaningful to add. 

Here's a little about my background.  I grew up in Simsbury, Connecticut, where I played most of my golf on our muni (Simsbury Farms); worked as a caddiemaster/club room at a local private club (Hopmeadow CC), which meant I could play there too; and played all four years on our pretty good (for Connecticut) high school golf team.   After college and law school, I ended up in Washington, DC, and I've lived here for the last 12 years.   

It's fair to say that I devote a lot of time to playing – or at least thinking about playing -- golf.  My index fluctuates between a 4.0 and 5.5; between family (I have two young daughters) and work it's hard for me to push it any lower.  I belong to Bethesda CC in Bethesda, MD and, assuming that my wife continues to be willing, intend to join at least one other club, perhaps in the area.  I take at least three golf trips each year (including one each March with 20 high school buddies) and I try to play on family vacations too.  My golfing tastes skew very much toward the traditional, and I have thick skin.

Thanks in advance for the opportunity to participate.

Best,

Carl Nichols

Chip Gaskins

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 02:09:40 PM »
welcome...good to see a fellow DCer!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »
Welcome Carl

Glad to hear that you have thick skin as being a traditionalist you will be fair game. :o ::) :o ::)

Jump in, have fun and look forward to reading some of your comments and posts.  :)

Passion in all things, not just golf – but the Family must always come first. If you remember that you will have a great golfing life.   

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
Welcome fellow newbie!

I like the idea of "thinking about golf" as it can only take a few seconds were as I was told by the starter before my round yesterday that they consider rounds to take 4 and a half hours! No wonder I don't have as much time to play golf as I would like!!!

Happy posting!

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Greg Holland

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »
Hi Carl,

Glad to see you finally on here.  I'm sure you have plenty to add.  We need to get together and play again soon.

Following up on another post Carl made today, I can attest that chipping/short game is the worst part of his game. 

Greg

Lester George

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 11:36:43 PM »
Carl,

Nice to have a northern-northern Virginian in the group.  Let me know if you want to play Kinloch, I'll try to set it up.  Welcome aboard.

Lester George

David Ober

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »
Welcome!

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »
Carl,

I hope to read some comments that reflect on your early golf years!  What year did you graduate from Simsbury?

Welcome,

Tim

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
"I played most of my golf on our muni (Simsbury Farms);"

.......so you must be a drawer of the ball  ;D welcome
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:18 PM »
Carl,

I hope to read some comments that reflect on your early golf years!  What year did you graduate from Simsbury?

Welcome,

Tim

Tim:
I graduated from SHS in 1988.  Are you from the area?  I have some good stories; just not sure it would be prudent to tell them publicly.   :)

Jim Kennedy:
Simsbury Farms does indeed favor right-handed drawers of the ball.  Unfortunately I'm a left-handed drawer of the ball!

Greg Holland:
Better late than never, right?  Any trips to DC planned for the spring or summer?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:55:48 PM by Carl Nichols »

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »
Is Simsbury Farms the one with the periscope on the first tee to see if groups have cleared the fairway?

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 10:06:19 PM »
Carl,

Nice to have a northern-northern Virginian in the group.  Let me know if you want to play Kinloch, I'll try to set it up.  Welcome aboard.

Lester George

Lester:
Thanks very much.  I've had the great pleasure of playing Kinloch a few times -- it's a terrific place except for the fact that I've lost two matches on the 19th hole! But it's been a few years, so I may take you up on your generous offer.  
Best,
Carl

Chris Avore

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the quick introduction.  Looks like the Mid-Atlantic contingent adds another!

~Chris (up in the hills of montgomery county...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
my photos from a few courses around the world:
http://flickr.com/photos/erova/collections/72157600394512195/

Carl Nichols

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 10:12:32 PM »
Is Simsbury Farms the one with the periscope on the first tee to see if groups have cleared the fairway?

That's the one.  1 and 10 parallel each other; are flat for about 150 yards; go downhill for 30-40 yards; then flatten out.  On #1, players hitting their 2nd shots are generally not visible from the tee box.  Or at least they weren't when I last played there .... it's been a bunch of years.  

I don't think the Farms would win any awards on this site (especially since they could've gotten more out of pretty good piece of land with some great views), but it was decent, and for $200 for an entire summer it was perfect for a 14-year-old.

Tim Bert

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »
Welcome to GCA.  Another lefty!  It seems we have quite a few here.

Simsbury Farms remains the only course where I've ever made 4 birdies in one round.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »
"Unfortunately I'm a left-handed drawer of the ball!"- Carl Nichols

join the club  ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dave_Miller

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 04:29:07 PM »
Hello Everyone:

I’m a recent addition to this discussion group and wanted to introduce myself.  I’ve been a long-time admirer and reader of GCA, which I’ve found to be a terrific site with incredibly interesting and helpful information.  During that period, I was content to simply read the posts in the discussion group, but some recent discussions got me thinking that I'd like to be able to actively post as a participant, and that I might have something meaningful to add. 

Here's a little about my background.  I grew up in Simsbury, Connecticut, where I played most of my golf on our muni (Simsbury Farms); worked as a caddiemaster/club room at a local private club (Hopmeadow CC), which meant I could play there too; and played all four years on our pretty good (for Connecticut) high school golf team.   After college and law school, I ended up in Washington, DC, and I've lived here for the last 12 years.   

It's fair to say that I devote a lot of time to playing – or at least thinking about playing -- golf.  My index fluctuates between a 4.0 and 5.5; between family (I have two young daughters) and work it's hard for me to push it any lower.  I belong to Bethesda CC in Bethesda, MD and, assuming that my wife continues to be willing, intend to join at least one other club, perhaps in the area.  I take at least three golf trips each year (including one each March with 20 high school buddies) and I try to play on family vacations too.  My golfing tastes skew very much toward the traditional, and I have thick skin.

Thanks in advance for the opportunity to participate.

Best,

Carl Nichols

Carl:
Welcome to GCA.  It's a fun place (except when Mucci and TEPaul start going at it.) ;) ;D :o
Best
Dave

Dan Chapman

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »
This seems like a good place to introduce myself as well.  I graduated college in North Carolina last year and have since moved back home to New Jersey.  My family has a home in Pinehurst so I also spend some time there.  While I don't have the extensive knowledge that others do about architecture, I greatly enjoy it and look forward to learning more.  I'm about a 13 handicap at the moment and hope to continue to improve on that.  I have a great passion for the game and I am able to enjoy many different styles of golf courses.  I love traveling to different places and experiencing new courses.  It has been fun reading the discussion group in the past and I'm excited to particpate. 

Cheers,
Dan Chapman

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 12:07:35 AM »

That's the one.  1 and 10 parallel each other; are flat for about 150 yards; go downhill for 30-40 yards; then flatten out.  On #1, players hitting their 2nd shots are generally not visible from the tee box.  Or at least they weren't when I last played there .... it's been a bunch of years. 

I don't think the Farms would win any awards on this site (especially since they could've gotten more out of pretty good piece of land with some great views), but it was decent, and for $200 for an entire summer it was perfect for a 14-year-old.
The periscope is still there; a charming touch to an interesting golf course.

Three left-handed draw-ers of the golf ball on the same thread???  Is it the apocalypse?  ;D

Welcome, Carl.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back