News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Martin Del Vecchio

Why isn't the Colonial (Wakefield, MA) Open Yet?
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:08:25 PM »
I drive by the Colonial in Wakefield, MA on my way to work.  I have noticed that it does not appear to be open; there are no flags on the two greens that I can see from 128 South.

The weather has been great, and even my club (Bass Rocks), usually the last to open in these parts, has been up and running for two weeks.

The folks at [link]www.lastminutegolfer.com[/link] say:

"NOTE: This course is currently closed and is not taking tee times reservations. They have not indicated when they expect to open.".

I believe they just renovated the hotel.  Any idea what's going on? 

Mark_Fine

Re: Why isn't the Colonial (Wakefield, MA) Open Yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:37:26 PM »
Martin,
Forrest Richardson and I did a Master Plan for the renovation of this golf course a few years ago.  The plan included a land plan for the development of the property fronting I95.  The entire property was subsequently sold to National Developers and the plans for the course were put on hold.  As it turns out, the new owner intends to develop (eliminate) nine of the holes.  That area will become part of a commercial/real estate development.  The other nine holes (the portion out in the wetlands) will likely remain as some kind of golf amenity (time will tell) with some changes. 

As such, don't expect the golf course opening anytime soon (but as you know with development, things are changing constantly, especially in this market environment).
Take care,
Mark

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:34 AM »
Thanks for the info, Mark.  I only played Colonial once, about 10 years ago, and I only made it through 5 or 6 holes before I gave up due to slow play.  It would be interesting to see what you and Forrest came up with, but I guess we'll never get to play it.

It makes me wonder, though, how you can own a public 18-hole golf course on the North Shore, right on 95/128, in the middle of an area starved for quality public courses, and not make it a success.  When I was playing a lot, I used to drive right by it on my way to Red Tail (75 minutes away) and Plymouth (90 minutes away).

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »
"It makes me wonder, though, how you can own a public 18-hole golf course on the North Shore, right on 95/128, in the middle of an area starved for quality public courses, and not make it a success.  When I was playing a lot, I used to drive right by it on my way to Red Tail (75 minutes away) and Plymouth (90 minutes away)."

I think that the land has more value as buildings/parking/etc than as a golf course.  With all the courses in and around Boston if the the course was/is any good and or designed by a name architect it would be staying open.  The courses in 75-90 minutes away I guess are more enticing.....

Mark_Fine

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 05:50:40 PM »
Martin,
Forrest and I were quite excited about the design.  Our client was Starwood and soon after we completed the plan there was a change in management and they sold the property (I'm sure the plan helped with the selling process).  We did a complete re-routing with many of the holes running in opposite directions.  We had to move the holes by I95 to allow that area to be developed.  At about $1MM per acre, you can see why. 

Here is a rendering of our Master Plan:

Mark
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 05:56:35 PM by Mark_Fine »

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 07:17:56 PM »
Only 6500 yards?  And only one par 3 at 200 yards?  How could that possibly be a good course?  Don't you guys get it?  No wonder they gave up.

Seriously, though, 6600 yards is my perfect distance; I can hit it about 250, maybe 260 off the tee.  It looks like a really fun course to play; too bad nobody will get the chance.  Hopefully, if they do end up putting golf on the property, they will give you a call and start with your plan.

Except the two folks I saw playing what I believe to be #17 this afternoon, as I drove by on 128/95.  It reminds me of the days I used to sneak onto the Washingtonian course in Maryland, after they closed down, but before they ripped it to build houses and a shopping mall.

Thanks for sharing that, Mark!

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »
Update from today's Boston Globe:

A new King
With its commercial and residential building project at the site of the former Colonial Golf Course ongoing, the owners of the property, National Development, have allowed the town of Lynnfield to operate what used to be the front nine.

Renamed King Rail Reserve Golf Course, the nine holes will play to 3,420 yards and a par of 36, and it is up and running for the season. PGA professionals Don Lyons and Ross Coon will run the course. For information, call 781-334-2877.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:11:19 AM »
I used to pass by Colonial every summer as a child when driving up from Connecticut to Cape Ann, and as golf was a mostly forbidden fruit to me at that time (my family did not belong to a golf club) that glimpse of the fairways, bunkers and greens was one of those markers that we encountered on our annual pilgrimages.

I never got the chance to play there, but maybe now someday, before it joins the ranks of NLE.  Maybe this summer.......

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back