News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: "So are National Parks"
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »
I always thought a good course in Yellowstone would be a hoot!  Would never happen, but would be cool.

William_G

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
Tom, yes, got it, I stand corrected, learning everyday every minute of course.....

How many parks of any kind, were there before 1864? LOL

It's all about the golf!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 05:20:14 PM »

Skiing at Badger Pass in winter and playing golf at Wawona in summer is a joy. Take the skinniest golf bag you can find, go out with a half a dozen clubs  and despite the smallness of the venue I would guarantee you would not be thinking of Doak ratings.

If nothing else, try to get tickets for the Bracebridge Dinner at Christmas. The dinner is an elegant and artistic four-hour pageant of classic carols, Renaissance rituals and entertainment of the Middle Ages, plus a good dinner. The last time I was there was during the streaking craze. During one of the  more  somber pieces of music being played, a naked young man raced through the length of the Ahwanee’s  banquet hall and out the door at the rear entrance. There was high dudgeon from the Pageant Director but much twitter from the rest of us.

Bob

William_G

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
I am endeared the hiking concept of golf as well as the hunting analogy of the game.

The establishment of The National Park system was a great idea.

edit
In Recognition of Yosemite's Heritage: Yosemite's strong environmental stewardship has taken shape through key historic events. The park plans to honor its heritage through a series of anniversaries.

•June 30, 2014: 150th anniversary of the Yosemite Grant
•Sept. 3, 2014: 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act
•Sept. 28, 2014: 30th anniversary of the California Wilderness Act
•Oct. 1, 2015: 125th anniversary of Yosemite National Park
•Aug. 25, 2016: 100th anniversary of the NPS

8)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:36:10 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »

Wow Josh, what a find!  That's the Awahnee Hotel in the background.  The little course was nine par 3's, I don't think there was one over 120 yards.  At the turn you came close to the Merced River, where kids were selling golf balls for a quarter (Titelist) or a dime (Acushet).  This was ca.  1958.  At night you'd watch the fire fall at dusk.  The cry would echo across the valley from the top of Half Dome, "Let the fire fall!" and a bulldozer would shove a bonfire over the cliff.   Now that's too dangerous and it's been stopped for years, although it never caused a fire.  

For a look at the Awahnee and the fire fall, see the great movie, "The Caine Mutiny."
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:27:18 PM by Bill_McBride »

William_G

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
fun stuff, I heard about the firefall, crazy stuff

Love that hotel, great public spaces! a true classic to return to after a long day out and about

the granite valley, and there is no way out unless you climb out, is so busy in summer now, it gotten to be like a Disney park...best to go off season
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back