News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Emerald Links, Egg Harbor Twp., NJ,New Superintendent
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:14:23 PM »
Good article about the new super and improved conditions:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/local/golf/local-links-superintendent-lane-giving-mccullough-s-emerald-golf-links/article_64228dd3-d56a-5572-bcde-6740e576d981.html

I haven't played there in awhile. Maybe I'll give it a try again.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Doug Braunsdorf

Re: Emerald Links, Egg Harbor Twp., NJ,New Superintendent
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:41:35 AM »
Steve, I saw that article in yesterday's paper.  Think the proofreader missed the "divots" in the greens? 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

archie_struthers

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
 8)  8)

Steve is a good superintendent and guy!  Did yeoman work on the construction  down the street at Twisted Dune.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:37 PM »
I played Emerald Links on a chilly day at the end of March and I enjoyed the course. At that time, the conditions were sparse at best, but it was a FUN round. Not ACC fun, but nice just the same.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »
I think a lot of the issues with MEGL are, or were, not necessarily tied to the architecture, but more a question of maintenance.  Stephen Kay was nice enough to speak with me at length about the design of the course and some of the issues/constraints inherent in building a golf course over a landfill and within the confines of a municipal budget.  For example, sizes of the greens, and some of the design of the holes.  I think the architecture is good for the daily fee player, interesting for folks like us who look for and appreciate the classic design strategies, and manages to maintain the interest and fun level for each group of player. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back