News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:02:08 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike_Cirba

Re: Dauphin Highlands, Harrisburg, PA for sale...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
Lord, that's terribly disappointing.

I think that course is a little gem, and after playing Bill Love's Laurel Hill GC in Lorton, Virginia earlier this week I'm even more sold on his talents.

Unlike Jim Coleman last night who told us that Inniscrone closed because of its poor architecture, I'd say the Clintons (unfortunately) were right.

It's the economy, stupid!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:47:41 PM »
Mike: I think it's more a question of irresponsible economics.  Everyone thinks that they can just build a golf course during a golfing boom and they will make money - there's a lot more to it.  People make stupid investments, ones they can't afford or try to get rich the easy way and eventually someone has to get burned.  Golf was on a downward trend long before the economy soured.  10 million in debt is simply ridiculous and whoever did their business plan really needs to find another line of work.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »
Unlike Jim Coleman last night who told us that Inniscrone closed because of its poor architecture, I'd say the Clintons (unfortunately) were right.

Mike, I'm sure you didn't mean to cause any confusion with your comments about Inniscrone closing.

I just want to say, even though Jim Coleman might wish Inniscrone went out of business and still thinks it is b/c of bad architecture, Inniscrone is still alive.  I urge some of you that have never played, or only played it once, to give it a shot.  This course is wonderful, but yes perhaps flawed in a couple of places.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 08:06:31 PM »
I'd like to play Inniscrone again but for me it's a distance challenge: 2.5 to 3 hour round trip PLUS perhaps $60 for gas at the ever increasing prices,even at the local WaWa Superstations. ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:56:54 PM »
I see that the course was built and is owned by Dauphin County.  Judging by the amount of debt that is on the course despite it doing 35k rounds a year and being highly regarded it appears that the government agency was out of their depth on this deal.

Rather than a poor economy bringing down courses like this one, I wonder if it was the relatively good economy of the last half decade that propped up these ill conceived projects.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

George Freeman

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:37:32 AM »
sounds very similar to the situtation surrounding Rackham Golf Course, a Donald Ross designed muni in metro Detroit.  As far as I know, after many months of turmoil, the course is here to stay...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:21:12 PM »
Sad to see.  I haven't played DH in a few years, but its a pretty neat track in my opinion.  A lot of good memories there from High School Golf days!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Steve_ Shaffer

Carl Johnson

Why don't the folks who want to save DH put together a group, buy the course, and take it private?  Seems simple enough to me.  In other words, let them "put their money where their mouth is."

Steve_ Shaffer

The course is way overpriced for a golf course use. It's a real estate play for the 230 acres.

Richard Hetzel

The course is way overpriced for a golf course use. It's a real estate play for the 230 acres.

So I guess I need to hurry up and play it the next time I am passing through?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back