News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Where do the old dead architects go?
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:54:50 PM »
Ever wonder what Tom Paul does to support himself?

;)

Even though Tom lives in the Philly area, his business is in Pacific Grove, CA
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:03:38 PM by John Vander Borght »

Forrest Richardson

Re: Where do the old dead architects go?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 07:36:25 PM »
While this PhotoShop imposter may strike a smile, the real answer is, of course...

Paul Cowley's back yard, next to the broken Bar-B-Que.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Gary Daughters

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:47:51 PM »

Is that where the Arts and Crafts Golf guy went?
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
Why would the shrubs be so formal?  Should have more of a "jagged " look if this were a real picture w/o photoshop.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »
Is this the rumored T E Paul Moriarty partnership I've been hearing on the grapevine?

Is that a mini-Cooper in the front driveway?   Who designed that hedge, CB Macdonald or Seth Raynor?  ;D

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 11:43:03 PM »
Mike, that's defintely a CBM/Raynor hedge if ever I saw one! 8)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 11:44:54 PM »
BTW, this comes as no surprise at all. The first time I talked with TEP I thought to myself, "I bet that guy runs a mortuary."  ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 11:45:40 PM »

I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE, THAT IS CLEARLY A WILSON HEDGE IF I'VE EVER SEEN ONE...AND TO SUGGEST OTHERWISE JUST SHOWS YOUR IGNORANCE!!!

(But I might change my mind if I can see the original manifest....errrr work order and bill for said work)   ;)  ;D

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 11:47:35 PM »

I COULDN'T DISAGREE MORE, THAT IS CLEARLY A WILSON HEDGE IF I'VE EVER SEEN ONE...AND TO SUGGEST OTHERWISE JUST SHOWS YOUR IGNORANCE!!!

(But I might change my mind if I can see the original manifest....errrr work order and bill for said work)   ;)  ;D

Hey, produce the sketches and we'll have something! ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 11:49:30 PM »
Kalen,

The question I keep coming back to is whether they take international corpses, and what year did that begin?  

Also, might that somewhat French name of the company indicate something about the Bents of Le Touquet, or is that what suspiciously looks to be growing under those pink flowers?

I knew TEPaul was getting into some heavy stuff when I last saw him in the West Philly 'hood with that imposter Huge "Puffy" Wilson, but man, this is totally whack!   :o ;) ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 03:07:16 AM »
I swear,

Its amateur night on this website lately...all he said, she said kind of stuff.  ;)

So instead I shall have to start doing all the heavy lifting for you guys.  A 10 minute internet search was all it took to reveal the true source of the hedge....and no don't even bother to ask about my top secret search methods.

Without further ado, I give you proof, BEYOND THE SHADOW OF A DOUBT, as to the true origins of the hedge.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 04:43:48 AM »
I can say with some authority that the original designer of this hedge was not Old Tom. It lacks his depth of spirit, harmony with its surroundings and does not conform to the natural landscape. :D

I will say that it may well have been designed within a day. Do I detect the beginnings of a cart track towards the lower middle centre of the hedge?
Clearly artificial electronic aids have been at work here, shame on them.
No true Golfer would want to be laid to rest here when he submits his final scorecard. :( :(

Yes, certainly not an Old Tom design

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »
Bravo, gentlemen......

I feel the burden of humor being lifted off my shoulders, just as you guys type.....Thank You!

Appropriate for a Sunday morning...I may use this thread in my testimony at church......hmmm, iron sharpens iron?....not causing a brother to stumble?.....Go unto all the world?......

So many themes, so little time......right, Tommy Williamson?.... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Allan Long

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »
I can neither confirm nor deny, but I heard a rumor that a governing body is bringing in Rees Jones to remodel the hedge. ::)
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 10:45:40 AM »
I can neither confirm nor deny, but I heard a rumor that a governing body is bringing in Rees Jones to remodel the hedge. ::)

I'm quite sure that Kalen can present us with the Rees-remodel drawings.   ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »

I'm quite sure that Kalen can present us with the Rees-remodel drawings.   ;D

Mike don't tempt me.  I got one hand on the phone ready to hit the speed dial to call in a favor to get the re-model drawings.  ::)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 05:11:37 PM »
Kalen,

Sometimes, ya gotta do it for the team!  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »
That is absolutely SHOCKING!  :'(

And, yes, I would like to partner with David Moriarty in a manner of speaking on perhaps a future essay/article. Collaborate or simply help him would probably be more accurate. We have spoken to some extent recently on that very subject. My suggestion to him is that he should seriously consider, at some point, doing a really good and in-depth essay on C.B. Macdonald, THE MAN, or should I say the rest of the Man and his career in golf that did not just have to do with architecture.

I've felt that kind of really good in-depth article on Macdonald to do with the other things he was and did in the context of golf is completely necessary to even understand what he did for Merion or why they felt the initial contact with him about the creation of their Merion was so important to them and why they gave him so much credit for that part.

In my opinion, I've felt a really good essay on some other aspects of Macdonald's life and times is an enormous story that would be incredibly edifying to this website and others. GeorgeB knows about my interest in that subject because I mentioned it to him some years ago.

I think David Moriarty should give this subject a try and I offered to help him in any way I could.

The reason I think David Moriarty might be the guy to try it was when I read again his very first post and a few of his others within hours of that initial post on his thread on Merion that is a year and a half old and now almost 30 pages long.

I believe I could write this article and do the subject justice but I'm realistic and I know I probably would never get around to doing it. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 07:04:49 PM by TEPaul »

paul cowley

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »
That is absolutely SHOCKING!  :'(

And, yes, I would like to partner with David Moriarty in a manner of speaking on perhaps a future essay/article. Collaborate or simply help him would probably be more accurate. We have spoken to some extent recently on that very subject. My suggestion to him is that he should seriously consider, at some point, doing a really good and in-depth essay on C.B. Macdonald, THE MAN, or should I say the rest of the Man and his career in golf that did not just have to do with architecture.

I've felt that kind of really good in-depth article on Macdonald to do with the other things he was and did in the context of golf is completely necessary to even understand what he did for Merion or why they felt the initial contact with him about the creation of their Merion was so important to them and why they gave him so much credit for that part.

In my opinion, I've felt a really good essay on some other aspects of Macdonald's life and times is an enormous story that would be incredibly edifying to this website and others. GeorgeB knows about my interest in that subject because I mentioned it to him some years ago.

I think David Moriarty should give this subject a try and I offered to help him in any way I could.

The reason I think David Moriarty might be the guy to try it was when I read again his very first post and a few of his others within hours of that initial post on his thread on Merion that is a year and a half old and now almost 30 pages long.

I believe I could write this article and do the subject justice but I'm realistic and I know I probably would never get around to doing it. 

Tom....just curious....did you click on the right thread?

This ones about architects....architects probably burning in Hell....or in some little mortuary incinerator, or some little BBQ.......charred into crisp, brittle little pieces....crisp and brittle enough that the least amount of wind will lift these little fragments up into the air to eventually land, impregnate and pollenate some other fool willing to take up the mission and desire to build something on some piece of dirt and become a part of another generation of golf course designers.

That's about how it works folks.

:)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 07:09:24 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 09:56:29 PM »
Paul:

Yes actually I did. This was from Mike Cirba's post above:

"Is this the rumored T E Paul Moriarty partnership I've been hearing on the grapevine?"

You know me, it doesn't take much for me to get pretty far afield!

JohnV

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 09:57:48 PM »
Tom,  I had intended to keep your secret safe, but while recently dining with another Tom who is long lost and lamented from this group, he felt it would be appropriate to make it known.   ;D

Actually, I noticed this place when I first moved here in October and finally got around to taking the picture yesterday.  No Photoshop was used in making this picture.  I prefer the GIMP.

paul cowley

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »
Paul:

Yes actually I did. This was from Mike Cirba's post above:

"Is this the rumored T E Paul Moriarty partnership I've been hearing on the grapevine?"

You know me, it doesn't take much for me to get pretty far afield!

....my bad, my friend....I've been a little brittle and charred of late...and tryin to stay out of the wind. ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:03:34 PM by paul cowley »

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 10:04:23 PM »
"....my bad my friend....I've been a little brittle and charred of late...and tryin to stay out of the wind."

Really? I'm sorry to hear that. What happened to you? Did you get too sunburned on the job in Mexico or did P. Villa and his banditos actually temporarily catch you and try to parboil you?

paul cowley

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »
"....my bad my friend....I've been a little brittle and charred of late...and tryin to stay out of the wind."

Really? I'm sorry to hear that. What happened to you? Did you get too sunburned on the job in Mexico or did P. Villa and his banditos actually temporarily catch you and try to parboil you?

...something like that ;)....but yo, Philly boy, I be comin back up yonder soon, so don your suit of many colors cause its going to go great with the new site 'stuff'!...and I'm not talking design. :)

TEPaul

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 10:19:33 PM »
"Actually, I noticed this place when I first moved here in October and finally got around to taking the picture yesterday.  No Photoshop was used in making this picture."

JohnV:

Is that right? That place and that name is real? If that's the case and you're back in that neighborhood tell the proprietor that his lawyer will be hearing from my lawyers and he can probably expect that I will take his mortuary and sell it and do something cool with the award like fix those dumb Fazio mistakes at Riviera.

He can't use the name TEPaul as I've had it service marked for years and for him to use it without asking my permission will put him in some really serious California CaCa.

Tell him who my lawyers are---eg my interstate lawyer is David Schmidt---AKA Shivas and you tell that guy that my lawyer Shivas will take whatever his lawyer says and parse his ass off with his sentence-structure parsing technique.

And if that doesn't work my California lawyer is one David Moriarty AKA---oh never mind about that---tell that mortician that David will either argue his lawyer's eyeballs out of his head or he will use his expert delaying tactics until they both die penniless.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back