News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re: Environmentally friendly golf
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »
This thread is a joke, and it starts out.....

"How do you occupy college students and Western US residents for hours on the internet?".......

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PThomas

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2008, 12:15:53 PM »
Ryan - thanks for the heads up on this week's Time

regarding water usage, all users of it may wind up cutting back, facing higher prices - that would decrease some use wouldn't it!? - etc., if current trends continue...and even if problems in drought areas lessen, remember that the population contiunues to increase which obviously increases demand....it seems like we usually deal with environmental issues only when we reach a crisis point, which is unfortunate...and unfortuantely as well we are at that point regarding water supplies in many places

I think we need to look at these issues holistically....while many golf courses need to learn to use less water - and many golfers have to learn to deal with - gasp! - nonperfectly green turf and more nonmaintained areas and the like, other users must do their parts as well...this is what the watershed approach to environmental to management is all about:  all the stakeholders in an area need to work together on environmental issues

and remember:  1.  it is always cheaper and better to precent pollution vs. cleaning it up later on; and 2. a lot of pollution remains in the waters of the U.S.
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2008, 12:17:49 PM »
In the meantime, go and get some sunshine.  ;)

They're forcasting snow for Saturday!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2008, 12:18:54 PM »
This thread is a joke, and it starts out.....

"How do you occupy college students and Western US residents for hours on the internet?".......

;D

The only joke is that part of humanity that thinks they can do as then damn well please with the planet!
 >:(
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Lou_Duran

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »
"The only joke is that part of humanity that thinks they can do as then damn well please with the planet!"

I can think of at least one other joke: that very small part which believes that it is the only one to possess the superior knowledge, insight, sensitivity, and moral conviction to dictate to the rest how to live.

Without a doubt, golf is a huge plus for the environment and the well-being of earth's inhabitants.  It is great that the industry has its focus on environmentally friendly practices and procedures.  I only wish my eco-friendly neighbors in SoCal were so motivated so as to pick up after their dogs and propertly dispose of their trash.

In this vein, the following message I received by E-Mail this morning might be applicable:

Good morning. (Get going!) Words are mere bubbles of water, but deeds are drops of gold -Chinese proverb 

God is Love
Rev Run 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:15:20 PM by Lou_Duran »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2008, 01:24:17 PM »
I can think of at least one other joke: that very small part which believes that it is the only one to possess the superior knowledge, insight, sensitivity, and moral conviction to dictate to the rest how to live.
...I only wish my eco-friendly neighbors in SoCal were so motivated so as to pick up after their dogs and propertly dispose of their trash.

;D Gotcha!  ;D

My apologies if you take my sense of humor this morning in a bad way.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2008, 09:41:05 AM »
I agree with most of Ryan's feelings...except the line, "I just wish more architects would carry a least a fraction of the dedication to environmental stewardship that he does."

I can attest that there is really no validity to that statement. Certainly Mike Hurdzan leads the way in many environmental causes for golf, but there are virtually no practicing golf architects that I know or have ever met who do not share some degree of concern and reality for the environment. In fact, most are very concerned and spend great effort to try and do the right thing. And, even when they might fall short, they do respect the many consultants who are there to weigh in and do the right thing on behalf of their projects.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back