News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Merion Golf Club has a long and rich history.  Beginning in the middle 1870s, Edward Sayers began amassing a collection of scrapbooks documenting the earliest days of the Merion Cricket Club (founded in 1865).  Later, George Scudder collected a wealth of material that became the critical mass in establishing the Archives at Merion Golf Club.  Upon George Scudder's death, his family donated funds to be used in the creation of a formal archives.  John Capers III urged the Board of Governors to appoint an Archives Committee and provide an operating budget.  John was named chairman of the committee.  Under his leadership, we have successfully reached out to the membership and the golf community at large to seek original or facsimile copies of a wide range of archival materials including, photographs (~2000, all of which are being digitized), architectural drawings (1916, 1924,1930 and 1934, all of which are digitized), films, videos, books, tournament memorabilia, clubs, balls, trophies, newspaper articles (~1000, all of which are digitized), magazines, clothing, and a host of other items. 

In combining the Archives with our library, the club now has two rooms in our small clubhouse dedicated to the history of golf in general and of Merion in particular.  This research facility is open to the public under certain guidelines.  It is meant to allow interested parties access to an important collection of materials.  Merion understands its place in the history of American golf and has a strong sense of responsibility to the sport.  Thus the courses are made available to local and national tournaments and why the club feels a need to share the information housed in their historic clubhouse (an 1824 farmhouse and barn).

We recently had an Archives Day at the club to celebrate the formal opening of the facility.  It was very well attended with a steady stream of visitors from 11am until 8pm.  We're doing it again during the summer to coincide with some tournaments at the club.  The response was fantastic and led to additional items donated to the club.  I urge all clubs to put together a committee responsible for collecting, preserving and storing archival materials.  As many of you know, the USGA formed a golf architecture archive and research center.  The history of golf's playing fields is very important and I hope all of you get behind efforts at your clubs, both public and private to preserve its history.

Here are some photographs of our displays to give you an idea about what was of interest to our membership.  We had a collection of photographs displayed in 6 second intervals projected on a wall in the ballroom.  In the main entrance we ran a continuous loop of Bob Jones playing in the 1930 Amateur.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:52:40 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Andy Hughes

Re: Archives and Library at Merion Golf Club, a research facility
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:21:23 AM »
Good stuff Wayne. Setting aside false modesty, how involved were you in all that?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Peter Wagner

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »
Wayne,

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.  I've learned many things from the exchange of information on this site including the importance of preserving a club's history.  Two weeks ago I formed a new committee charged with collecting everything in our short 18 years of existence.  50 years from now someone might care about how the was club started so I thought it might be nice to have it all in one place.

Best,
Peter

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
Thanks, for the kind words. 

I am on the Archives Committee and donated a number of items including old hickories from George Sayers, facsimile copies and digital copies of all the Flynn drawings (1916,1924,1930 and 1934), articles from American Golfer, Golf Illustrated, New York Times, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor, and the Wall Street Journal.  Joe Bausch was kind enough obtain for us a collection of articles from the Philadelphia Inquirer, Bulletin and Public Ledger.  We have hardcopies and digital versions of all the articles and architectural plans.  My current job scanning our collection of photographs and slides.  Digital versions of everything will go to the USGA Golf Architecture Archive and Research Center.

I must say that our Archives would fall far short of its potential without the efforts of Andy Mutch.  Andy was the curator for the USGA Museum.  He now consults with clubs around the country helping to organize and preserve archives.  If anyone would like to contact Andy, I'll provide his contact information on an IM. 

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:53:50 AM »
Great stuff, Wayne. These type of things make the club all the more special.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 09:54:52 AM »
Wayne,

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.  I've learned many things from the exchange of information on this site including the importance of preserving a club's history.  Two weeks ago I formed a new committee charged with collecting everything in our short 18 years of existence.  50 years from now someone might care about how the was club started so I thought it might be nice to have it all in one place.

Best,
Peter

Peter,

Feel free to contact me if you'd like to know more about how we went about this effort.  I am pleased to see that new clubs are doing the right thing as regards archives.  A nice byproduct of such efforts is engendering a respect for the course and club, establishing a tradition that benefits future generations of club members.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 11:00:29 AM »
(in the style of the listeners of the Tony Bruno radio show)

Dear Wayne,

I have a ship manifest from 1912 that I would like to donate to the Merion archives.

Sincerely,
DaveM
-----------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »
Dear Wayne,

If you accept DaveM's 1912 ship manifest, I want to submit one to the archives from 1910.

Sincerely,
MikeC
-------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
Joe,

What should be done with the ship's manifests?  I don't see how they are of any use at all given the unreliability of the contents and suspect interpretations.  The Wilson-Piper/Oakley letters give a much better idea of Wilson's whereabouts than ship's manifests; at least after February 1911.   They would seem to indicate that if Wilson went to the UK for several months to study golf courses, it was likely that it was prior to February 1911.  In any case, the exact timing of his overseas study trip in itself doesn't have much to do with design attribution.   

I guess we'll put the ship's manifests with transcripts of the GCA.com Merion threads, somewhere far removed from the Archives  ;)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 11:56:10 AM »
Wayne, I doubt there are too many other clubs who value their course in the way Merion does. But, if a club wanted to improve the way their members view their club, historically and architecturally, an archive sure would seem to be one way to go about it.

What other benefits do foresee coming out of having such an archive?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
For a schmuck who live in "nowhere" Nebraska all his life, this is the coolest darn thing ever. If only Wanye could just walk around the place with a video cameran and get me a virtual tour!  ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 12:22:39 PM »
I'm with Tony.  How about a virtual tour?

Thanks for posting this Wayne.  Looks like an amazing place.  I hope I get to see it sometime.  Obviously there is a lot of heritage at Merion that is worthy of sharing.  It's just great to make at least some of this available to more than just the membership.

wsmorrison

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 12:29:48 PM »
Adam,

Having an archive, writing a column in the monthly newsletter highlighting new and existing items and holding Archives Day events spreads the word to members and guests to keep an eye out for items that may seem unimportant but may in fact provide missing pieces.   Such events help people to be on the lookout for things that will help expand and improve our knowledge base. 

If this was the only benefit, it would be enough.  It is evident that clubs with an Archives and library will engender a much greater sense of conservatorship of their club and course and a greater appreciation for the architecture.  It creates a common interest and coincidence of values.  What other benefits will result?  I don't know.  We're exploring new ground with our efforts.

Tony,

My wife and her family are all from Nebraska.  My father-in-law (deceased) was from Tilden and my mother-in-law is from Battle Creek.  Those are nowherevilles if I ever saw one.  I think a virtual tour is a good idea.  I'll see what I can do.  Now, the Archives is open to the public, so all you have to do is come to Philadelphia and see for yourself.  That is the beauty of our model, it is a working library and research center!

wsmorrison

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 12:33:01 PM »
By the way, see those 3 old clubs in the wooden case in the last picture?  Supposedly they were given to Hugh Wilson by Old Tom Morris.  I'm not sure I believe it, although that's what is on the brass plaque.  The reason I have my doubts is because the clubs are old hand-forged clubs by John Gray of Prestwick circa 1870.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 12:49:39 PM »
Wayne,
What would you suggest for a 4.5 year old club? :)

You're so right about the need to do this.  I've been heavily involved since our club's beginning, but memories of even some of those early months are fading.  I can't imagine the amount of work needed to pull together the history of Merion.  Fortunately for us, we can make a phone call to our course designer.  After reading the ship manifest threads and the work Mike, Joe, and others are doing with Cobbs Creek, it's a very comforting thought.

Merion is pure class.   

PS - So why ARE the front 9 baskets a different color than the back 9?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 12:57:59 PM by Dan Herrmann »

wsmorrison

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 12:57:48 PM »
Dan,

I would try to imagine what we would do if Hugh Wilson and William Flynn were around to speak to.  Oh, and CB Macdonald too  ;)

I would film a walk around with Gil Hanse and ask him to speak about his thoughts on his work.  I think you may already have something like this, right?  I'd make sure all his drawings and plans are kept in an acid free folder.  I'd assemble all the existing pictures and designate someone to keep photos and documentation of all subsequent work.  Designate a club historian and give him some room to store all the materials.  Digitize everything.  All clubs should do this, not just clubs like Merion, Shinnecock, Pine Valley and Oakmont.

You may have a 4.5 year old club, but someday you'll be a 100 year club (I hope) and future members will be glad you did.  Always have a long-term perspective.

Oh, as for why the baskets are colored differently on the front and back nine, if I told you I would have to kill you.  I wouldn't do that to Laura.  Seriously, I believe they simply ran out of paint.  For those that know Merion, do the red and orange colors remind you of anything?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:00:00 PM by Wayne Morrison »

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »
Wayne:

On the contrary, I think any available ship manifests on a Wilson trip abroad are very important and certainly interesting. At the least, some kind of description should be placed in the archives that the 1912 one MIGHT be the one that explains that old story that he almost went down on the Titanic. And if there is some evidence he actually WAS booked on the Titanic and then switched to a later crossing that would be extremely interesting for the archives. Additionally, something should be written into Merion's archive or its history that even though it has been mentioned on numerous occasions that Wilson went abroad for six or seven months probably in 1910 to study architecture, that to date nothing has been found to completely prove that.

It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Macdonald's part in Merion should be altered by these trips, the fact is it is an interesting part of the story of Merion's history.

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »
so cool Wayne.....congrats to you and everyone involved
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

wsmorrison

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »
Thank you Paul Thomas and Thomas Paul!  Nice timing!

Actually, you are right, Tom.  Even if it doesn't relate to architectural attribution, it is a fascinating story.  I wonder if we can verify Wilson's daughter's account of Hugh Wilson having reservations for the Titanic (I assume the maiden voyage).  Perhaps White Star Lines (I think that was the company) records will confirm if they still exist.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »
History is important, its the story of our lives, so archives, photo etc are important, I wish more clubs would record & produce their history.

We just don’t know what will happen in the future, how important our
lives will be to our grandchildren and great grandchildren.

So Wayne, an item in Merion has got me interested in the connection between Old Tom & Hugh Wilson, just goes to prove my point – Well done, thanks for the insight.

Ash Towe

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »
What a great facility.  All clubs who undertake an archive are to be applauded.
I remember seeing the display at Royal Liverpool and being totally enthralled.

G Jones

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »
I dont post very much on here but this has spurred me, just home from work at midnight, to say that is very very good work! I'm not an expert on the history of the game, nor do I have enough time to indulge in such things just now, but just seeing an old photo of a club I care about, or an old blazer badge from 100 years ago, tends to get me excited. I can't imagine how enjoyable a resource that must be esp. for the members at Merion, and for others who get to view it. Again, great work! I only wish more clubs did likewise...

BVince

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 11:57:40 PM »
Wayne, great post and thanks for scaling down the pictures.  They are magnificent and you are a lucky man.  I love the floppy hat under the red blazer.  The bucket hat is often under appreciated.  Thanks for sharing.  - Little bro
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Adam Clayman

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 12:08:07 AM »
For those that know Merion, do the red and orange colors remind you of anything?

I know this answer and just to throw you all off, I believe the answer involves the cries of a sphardic (sp?) bullfighter.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

BVince

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 12:23:42 AM »
I know it sounds corny, but the wicker basket pin has to be the coolest in all of golf.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back