News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Scanlon

Re: Archives and Library at Merion Golf Club, a research facility
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »
For those that know Merion, do the red and orange colors remind you of anything?

I know this answer and just to throw you all off, I believe the answer involves the cries of a sphardic (sp?) bullfighter.

Toro tractor paint?

Wayne:

I think this is a wonderful idea.  You mentioned that the Archives room is open to the public under certain guidelines.  What might those guidelines be?  I am very interested in taking a look.

Thanks,
Andy

All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

wsmorrison

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
Andy,

Long time no talk to.  I can show you the Archives sometime.  The normal protocol is to get permission from the Archives Committee or GM.

PS:  You only get half credit

Gene Greco

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 11:36:55 PM »
     Wayne,

Very cool for me to see something which was in my golf room for so many years back home where it belongs.

And to think we used it as a candy dish. ;)

Gene
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 11:45:40 PM »
Wayne,

That's absolutely fabulous.   Every club should be so fortunate to have key members like yourself keenly interested in finding and preserving their heritage.

Nice job!

wsmorrison

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 07:20:32 AM »
Gene,

Your donation of the dish with the famous Hogan photo was mentioned in the club newsletter.  We like to disseminate the items given and the donors names (if they don't mind) in the newsletter.

Mike and others,

Thanks for the kind words.  It is truly enjoyable to assist in the activities of such a committee.  I hope a great many other clubs do the same.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 07:56:01 AM »
Wayne,

What was the title and artist of the LP on the table?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

wsmorrison

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »
Joe,

I believe the record label is for the Four Aces (featuring Al Alberts) on the Merion Record Label.  However, the content of the disk is a description of the course, hole by hole, by Fred Austin, the esteemed head professional (1946-1969) originally from the Addington, later a protoge of Ernest Jones at Cherry Valley (LI) and Women's National before he came to Merion.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:42:29 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 08:42:15 AM »
Didn't you wear that red jacket, that's on display in the corner, when we played together? I also remember something about you insisting that we should address you as "Lord Wayne" as long as you kept the jacket it on.

Or maybe I am just confusing everything with Tom Huckaby proudly sporting his Arsenal shirt somewhere in California.

Anyway, nice job with the archive. And stroke savers definitely sounds better on vinyl!

wsmorrison

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 08:50:10 AM »
If I tried to put on John Capers's red coat, I'd rip it.  I'm a 44 and that coat must be a 36 or so.  I have a nice roomy blue one though.  I'll wear that next time we play, Eric.  Along with a Merion hat, Merion tie, Merion shirt, Merion belt, Merion underwear, Merion trousers, Merion socks, Merion pitch repair tool, Merion logo ball and Merion ball marker, I can achieve the state of logo Nirvana with 11 matching logo items.  If I can't play smart, I might as well dress smart. 

You may continue to call me Lord Wayne while we play, whether the jacket is on or not.  As such, I should always have the honors, nobility and all ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back