News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Tiger had knee surgery today
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:06:06 PM »
just saw on Geoff Shackelford's site that Tiger's left knee went under the knife today and he's out for at least a month

MAYBE that's why he needed help out of the bunker yesterday
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jesse Jones

Re: Tiger had knee surgery today
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:07:04 PM »
Here's the article..

By DOUG FERGUSON
AP Golf Writer
   Tiger Woods had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Tuesday to repair cartilage damange, his second operation in five years on the same knee. He is expected to miss at least a month while he recovers.
   The surgery, announced on his Web site, came two days after Woods finished two shots behind Trevor Immelman in the Masters. He likely will miss The Players Championship, but should return in time to play the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines.
   "I made the decision to deal with the pain and schedule the surgery for after the Masters," Woods said. "The upside is that I have been through this process before and know how to handle it. I look forward to working through the rehabilitation process and getting back to action as quickly as I can."
   The surgery was performed in Park City, Utah, by Thomas Rosenberg, who also operated on Woods' left knee in December 2002. Woods also had surgery in 1994 on his left knee to remove a benign tumor.
   Woods gave no indication his knee was bothering him the first three months of the season, when he won his first four tournaments to extend a winning streak that dated to September.
   "Tiger has been experiencing pain in his knee since the middle of last year, and when he had it looked at by his doctors, arthoscopic surgery was recommended," said Mark Steinberg, Woods' agent at IMG. "Tiger has played through the pain in the past, but knew it would be better for him to have the procedure done as early as possible."
   Steinberg said the surgery repaired cartilage damage. The 2002 surgery drained fluid from around the anterior cruciate ligament and removed a benign cyst.
   Woods won the Bridgestone Invitational and PGA Championship in consecutive weeks in August, the latter his 13th career major. After tying for second at the Deutsche Bank Championship to Phil Mickelson, he wound the final two events to capture the FedEx Cup, won his unofficial Target World Challenge in December, and won his first four events until tying for fifth at Doral last month.
   He occasionally would press his foot against a cooler on the tee box and stretch his knee, but there no other signs he was hurting.
   The recovery is expected to be four to six weeks, meaning Woods will not be able to defend his title May 1 in the Wachovia Championship. He likely will miss The Players Championship, one of three non-majors he has never missed since turning pro.
   "Of course, we're disappointed when Tiger is unable to compete in a PGA Tour event," commissioner Tim Finchem said on the tour's Web site. "There is really never a good time for an athlete -- especially one of Tiger's caliber -- to take weeks off from competition during the season. But his health concerns have to come first."

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »
wow.  Paul - thanks for that information.

All the best to Tiger and here's hoping to a speedy recovery.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »
I noticed he seemed to have difficulty getting out of the bunkers on Sunday....the CBS announcers noticed it as well, but they thought he looked tired....to me he looked like a guy with an injury of some sort.  Hopefully he'll be back, and 100 % by the US Open.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 09:41:18 PM »
I noticed he seemed to have difficulty getting out of the bunkers on Sunday....the CBS announcers noticed it as well, but they thought he looked tired....to me he looked like a guy with an injury of some sort.  Hopefully he'll be back, and 100 % by the US Open.

That's what I thought too, Craig...he didn't look tired as much as he looked like a guy with an injury to his left knee, which was going to require arthroscopic surgery in a matter of a day or two..... ;D

But, like Tiger, I didn't say anything.... :)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:51:35 PM »
Knee problems are never good.   They tend to degrade with time and additional stress, so I hope it's nothing serious.

Here's hoping he makes a full and speedy recovery. 

Justin Gale

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 11:00:27 PM »
Wow. I really hope he's back in time for the US Open seeing as though I am flying over from Australia to go and watch it! Possibly the only chance I would get to see him play ever also, unless someone coughs up some big bucks to get him over here.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 11:03:13 PM »
Thinking back to that Saturday at The At&t where he mis-stepped (or was it a fan?) I can't help but wonder if that was the original injury. Surely, he's never been back the clambake, since. Has he?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Wagner

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:38:44 PM »
I wonder why he didn't have this work done in early January?  He would have been good to go for the rest of the year.  Here's to a speedy recovery!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »
If I remember correctly, Redanman called it a couple years ago.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

BVince

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:52:13 AM »
It is amazing that this was kept from the media over the last 6-9 months.  What type of impact do you guys think this will have on his long term career?  I know we all hope to see him back in action soon and hopefully he will return to 100%.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Jack_Marr

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 01:31:12 AM »
It is amazing that this was kept from the media over the last 6-9 months.  What type of impact do you guys think this will have on his long term career?  I know we all hope to see him back in action soon and hopefully he will return to 100%.

I've had five knee operations (three cartilage, and two ACL reconstructions), and while I'm still without a Major, I think Tiger should have a speedy recovery.

You recover very quickly from a cartilage operation. I supose long-term, it depends on how much cartilage they have to cut out.

I expect him to be back playing fine and a month or so.
John Marr(inan)

BVince

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 01:42:09 AM »
Did Nicklaus have any major/minor operations before his 18th major?  I know he had problems as a senior, did he have any significant healt problems in his prime?
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »
Wasn't his new swing supposed to prevent this? 

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 11:05:39 AM »

I've had five knee operations (three cartilage, and two ACL reconstructions), and while I'm still without a Major, I think Tiger should have a speedy recovery.

You recover very quickly from a cartilage operation. I supose long-term, it depends on how much cartilage they have to cut out.

I expect him to be back playing fine and a month or so.

Good Lord, my hat is off to you. My one ACL reconstruction was enough for me.

Let's see, by my count I now share two things in common with Tiger: knee problems and we both play golf right handed. That's about it, sadly for me. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 11:07:27 AM »
Wasn't his new swing supposed to prevent this? 

There's only so much a swing change can do. I'd guess all swing patterns stress the lead knee a lot, just some more than others.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

ChipRoyce

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »
I have what seems to be similar cartilidge problems.

Injury to the surface can happen in very random matters. For instance, I had something happen the other night in my sleep that is now causing new grinding and issues - I'd guess I'm less than a year from another proceedure just from a random event.

Tiger's new swing will certainly help protect the knee, but its a crap shoot how well the surface can hold up.

Let's all hope that the next generation of knee replacements can last longer than the current 10 year life that we're seeing from current technology.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 01:29:29 PM »
Tiger can afford the best on cutting edge advancements.  If it is cartilage, then; don't they have this new process of 'growing' or stemcelling new growth of worn out cartilage.  Where is Redanman when we need him?  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 03:34:13 PM »
Hey,

Park City is only about 20 miles from where I work, perhaps I'll go over there after work and wish Tiger good luck in the recovery from all of us at GCA.com.   ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that when Tiger hits out of a bunker into the wind he acts like he just got pepper sprayed.  Is anyone else sick of the whole "Stevie" thing? 

Tim Copeland

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that when Tiger hits out of a bunker into the wind he acts like he just got pepper sprayed.  Is anyone else sick of the whole "Stevie" thing? 

Contacts

and yes
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »

Tiger had Lasik and still does ads for TLC so he better not be wearing contacts.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 09:24:14 PM »
Tiger should be happy he's not a horse! ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back