News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Golf Course Architecture's Biggest Myth?
« on: April 16, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
What say you?

Mine has to be, difficulty = greatness. Within that, there's many circumstances where some great holes or courses are difficult. My only thought for changing the phraseology would be to substitute Challenging, for difficulty.  For some reason difficulty and challenging seem like different beast. How wet am I?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Connor

Re: Golf Course Architecture's Biggest Myth?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:07:31 PM »
I like the verbiage.

For example, water everywhere or very tight OB is difficult to score well on, but it's not challenging.  If you hit a bad shot, you just repeated the process until you get it right.

Challenging means that when you hit a bad shot, your next shot is very difficult.  But the key is you have a next shot.  This of course is far more dramatic for both the golfer and the viewer.  And a golf course that creates drama is a good course.   (Sort of the way the back nine at Augusta used to be    ;) )

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:12:50 PM »
I just wonder who ever said that difficulty = greatness to begin with?  Doesn't a myth have to be stated somewhere to become a myth?

I can't recall every reading that, or hearing it.

Difficulty can be a PART of greatness as some assess things... but the totality?  I've never heard that.

I do believe that difficulty and challenging are clearly two different terms....

TH

Ken Moum

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »
I just wonder who ever said that difficulty = greatness to begin with?  Doesn't a myth have to be stated somewhere to become a myth?

I can't recall every reading that, or hearing it.

You hear the source of it every week on TV.

"This is a good par four"  --- NO, it's a hard par four.

This is a good driving hole" -- NO, it's a hole that demands a good driver, whatever that is.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »
That push-up greens need to be converted to USGA Spec greens.

Chris Avore

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »
Not exactly an architecture myth per se, but I'd vote that there's a pretty widespread myth that simply because a golf course hosts a PGA event that there is architectural merit there...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
my photos from a few courses around the world:
http://flickr.com/photos/erova/collections/72157600394512195/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
That increased width increases strategic options.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:14:49 PM »
Huck, I'm with Ken. It's one of those unwritten myths, yet is the subtext of so many enthusiasts, writers and even some architects writings and attitudes. Although, I may be being a bit esoteric with the word myth. But who said a myth has to be written? The myth of self importance is only written in deed.

Cirba's, Chris and JB's are all good ones.

There's more this group can come up with other than C.B. built the Alps across Ardmore. :-*

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »
That cutting down a tree will not make a hole easier.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 02:18:11 PM »
Not exactly architecturally related, but how about the myth that technological equipment advances have made the game "more fun" for the average player?  

I'm guessing that guys playing in the 20s were freaking pissed and miserably homicidal if things have improved to the point where today they're usually just surly and overly serious.  ;)

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »
That a great test of golf is not always a great golf course  ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 02:25:35 PM »
That the big name architects don't built template after template after template.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »
That when Tiger throws up all over himself it is the fault of the architecture.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 02:31:17 PM »
Huck, I'm with Ken. It's one of those unwritten myths, yet is the subtext of so many enthusiasts, writers and even some architects writings and attitudes. Although, I may be being a bit esoteric with the word myth. But who said a myth has to be written? The myth of self importance is only written in deed.

Gotcha.
I get it now.  I thought you meant myths among aficionados.  Myths among the masses are many and are often of the clueless nature.

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
That rewarded shots are more interesting than penalized ones.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »
That a membership can hire just any architect and get the desired results.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
That frilly, lacy, wild looking bunkers look good in every setting.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »
That there's no such thing as a misplaced bunker. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 02:34:43 PM »
That a one time visitor understands a course more than even the most clueless member.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »
That the Old Dead Guys would be laughing at how seriously we take them.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »
That cutting down a tree or trees will create more shot options...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »
That you have to play a course multiple times, in all sorts of weather and seasons, to make an intelligent assessment.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
That all the good land is taken.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 02:38:21 PM »
My top six candidates:

6) That if you lay sufficient drainage pipe you can build a playable golf course in any old swamp or rice paddy.

5) That what a fairway bunker looks like is important.

4) That golf is a game played by rolling the ball along the ground as opposed to flying it through the air. Far and Sure (tm) is the essence of the game, baby!

3) That a golf course today can somehow reflect the intentions of an architect who has been dead for half a century (or more).

2) That architecture matters more than conditioning to the golfer on the day he is actually playing golf.

And the most important myth of all

1) That a course lacking firm, sandy soil and/or fine, cool-weather grasses and/or frequent wind can make up for one or more of those things by superior architecture. A fine dream, but something that just ain't gonna happen.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 02:39:24 PM »
That increased width increases strategic options.

It all about the greens John!

I life after the age of 10 we largely make our own decisions. Do you want Ree Jones, Tom Doak or your Brother to make your decisions for you?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back