News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Fresno, CA area golf courses?
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »
I am playing in a tournament in Fresno at Sunnyside CC on Monday 5-19-08 and driving down from Sacramento. I would like to make a long weekend out of the trip but I am not familiar with Fresno area golf courses. Any recommendations would be helpful, I do not have private access and would like to play some challenging courses. I am considering a Johnny Miller course, Brighton Crest and another that looked good on the internet site, Riverbend. I would prefer not going too far south of Fresno.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Fresno, CA area golf courses?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:01:46 PM »
Tim - I haven't played much down there at all, but you did hit on one I have played, and which I really enjoyed:  Riverbend.  In fact I did a Topic in here several years ago about it, extolling it as a true hidden gem.  Not sure what (if anything) might have changed at the course in the intervening years - there were houses planned to be built within the course confines which if built would take a bit away from the experience - but the course itself was pretty darn good when I played it.  It's in Maderas, so north of Fresno... worth seeing for sure I'd say.

TH

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:05:01 PM »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:58:34 PM »
I have played Brighton Crest many times, a challenging yet somewhat bizarre course up in the hills northeast of town. 

It has been 12 years since my time there and I understand that they were either up for sale or having financial issues 3-4 years ago.  Might be worth checking in advance about the condition or status of the course.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:15:38 PM »
thanks Mike and David,
I thought I had seen all the "hooked on golf" shows, but I missed that one.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:32:01 PM »
thanks Mike and David,

I feel so ignored and unappreciated.

;D

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »
thanks Mike and David,
 ;D

Sorry Tom :o, I do appreciate your response and anyone elses who may help. Does that cover me,  so I don't have to personally respond to everyone who posts on this? ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:58:24 PM by Tim Leahy »

Jed Peters

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:55:06 PM »
FYI, this is right on 99, so maybe a round driving down or a round on the drive home?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
thanks Mike and David,
 ;D

Sorry Tom :o, I do appreciate your response and anyone elses who may help. Does that cover me,  so I don't have to personally respond to everyone who posts on this? ;D

Yes, well done.  I am feeling appreciated again.

In all seriousness, do check out Riverbend.  I really did like it.  There are some crazy great holes there.

TH

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:04:34 PM »
FYI, this is right on 99, so maybe a round driving down or a round on the drive home?

I am thinking about that, but haven't seen much between Sacto and Fresno. Not a big fan of Stevenson Ranch and Saddle Creek is a little out of the way. Anything else, you'd recommend?

AndrewB

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »
In all seriousness, do check out Riverbend.  I really did like it.  There are some crazy great holes there.

Which ones, Tom?  I played three rounds there last summer (tournament and practice round) and overall had mixed feelings about the place.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »
Anybody know anything about Nicklaus' Running Horse in Fresno? Is it open to the public at all?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »

Which ones, Tom?  I played three rounds there last summer (tournament and practice round) and overall had mixed feelings about the place.

LOL
I was hoping no one would ask, as my memory is not good, and it's been a few years.

But after reviewing the course website... the holes I really liked were..

12 - cool plateau short par 3
13 - short risk reward par 4 with a crazy green
16 - loved the split-green...
17 - I thought the bluff on the right was just really neat, and this is a very very tough hole...

I guess that's it and my "crazy-great" is overstating things!

Still, I did come away really liking that course.  I do recall liking holes on the front nine also though none are jumping out at me upon further review.

TH

SB

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 01:22:23 PM »
Riverbend is by far the best in the Fresno area.  One of my favorite courses, anywhere.  Not a subtle course, though.  Probably gets some strong reactions both ways.

Brighton Crest is definitely a little odd.  Not sure if it was environmental constraints or what, but there are some head scratching holes.

Running Horse has, I think, a grand total of three holes built.  Might get a little old playing 6 times.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back