News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

applying the Erin Hills method to fairway construction
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:11:08 PM »
In reading how Erin Hills Golf Course was built I’ve often wondered specifically about the fairway construction and how they apparently:

A.   just cut slits in the existing turf to bury the irrigation lines
B.   simply sprayed the existing field turf with Round Up and then planted the fairway grass seed in the existing top soil

Am I correct in assuming that most all of the time when constructing a golf course, you go ahead and strip the top soil, set it aside, then shape the dirt underneath and then reapply the topsoil – or something like that anyway?

As I’ve mentioned a few times on here before, I think and dream of how to get a golf course built on our farm someday.  The method used in constructing Erin Hills intrigues me.  It is my belief that what we have is a great site for golf.  The fields and corridors for play are gently rolling with enough natural contour, natural drainage and elevation change where I don’t believe I would want to see it shaped all that much and secondly, this method sounds like a relatively inexpensive task, compared to the alternative, which is WAY WAY IMPORTANTO if it is ever to see the light of day.  All this and a quarter will get you, well, a quarter.

Realistically, what are some of the pitfalls of this sort of fairway construction?  Any other examples of good golf courses doing it like the team at Erin Hills did it?

Ryan Farrow

Re: applying the Erin Hills method to fairway construction
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »
I believe the new course at Machrihanish was built kind of similarly because of environmental restrictions, but i don't think they used round up, just replaced the existing sod.

Mike Bowline

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:38:58 PM »
Any other examples of good golf courses doing it like the team at Erin Hills did it?

Eric, I believe The Old Course also followed this method of construction  :D.  Sorry, couldn't resist

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »
Eric, just for fun, can you post a google earth or terraserver link to the land you are discussing.  Where is it, what characteristics do you believe allow for a minimalist design method?  What are the soil characteristics?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Eric Smith

Re: applying the Erin Hills method to fairway construction New
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »
Eric, just for fun, can you post a google earth or terraserver link to the land you are discussing.  Where is it, what characteristics do you believe allow for a minimalist design method?  What are the soil characteristics?

RJ-

When we played together at last year's Dixie Cup I was going to bring up the farm and my goals but got sidetracked a little bit listening with great interest of the work you did trying to fulfill a similar dream in Nebraska. 

I’m in Crossville – “The Golf Capital of Tennessee”.  Maybe you've heard of Fairfield Glade?  Lots of your fellow cheese heads have retired to the Glade.  Mr. Bertram started the golf package business here some 25 years ago, he’s a Wisconsinite too.

I’d like to someday share a topo and a couple of routings, one done by a gca friend a few years back, and the other my own, but now’s not the time. 

There may be an opportunity to take hold of an existing course with oodles of potential very soon.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed.  But, I have to admit, I find myself asking, “do I really want to be in the golf shop all the time again?”  It’s a effing nightmare this dream thing… ;)

Here are some photos of the farm

and one with some scribbling on it, please don't laugh!  :-[ ok, laugh.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:01:39 AM by Eric Smith »

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 10:50:13 PM »
Eric:

I like the sweep of the land; I can see why you'd be interested in developing it as a course. The last photo, with your additions, even has a bit of the feel of Erin Hills, from what I've seen.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 11:37:09 PM »
The third picture looks like a great downhill Par-5!  :)
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back