News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Shimp

Re: So, South Carolina - Whats the Story?
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 12:48:03 PM »
Adam,
Mackie Walker was a member as of a couple of years ago according to the roster.
JS

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 02:28:42 PM »
John & Paul

Truth be told, if I had to choose from viewing pix only, Aiken is the one I would pick.  I think it looks very good and in keeping with much of what I treasure about courses. 

I think the next time I am in NC I will try to convince my bro in law, Remy, to get off his Canes supportin' ass and go on a road trip!

Thanks again for everyone's input.  If folks have more personal pix I would love to see them. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David_Tepper

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 02:34:17 PM »
I really like those pics of Palmetto. The course and the clubhouse have a look very similar to several of the courses surrounding London. All that is missing is the heather!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »
I have a pretty good idea of what Sean enjoys in a golf course and Palmetto has it in spades. I'm pretty sure the thing I'm thinking about is reasonably common in the England but it's rare hereabouts, let me tell you.

Sean, remember the feel and walkability and compactness that you thought made Mid-Pines much better than Pine Needles? If you put that sort of vibe on a scale where Pine Needles is toward one end and Mid-Pines is near the middle then Palmetto is well toward the opposite end of the scale. Aiken CC (which I have not played) might be on that end of the scale feel-wise but I very much doubt it is half the golf course that Palmetto is shot-for-shot and hole-for-hole.

For an inland course in a warm, humid climate I daresay Palmetto is as good a Sean Arble kind of golf course as you're likely to find. And the club is definitely a Sean Arble kind of club. I think Camden CC has a goodly dose of that same mojo but Palmetto is really the exemplar.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
John Shimp - I'm sure Rhett does not have the greens where is wants them yet if they are patchy and somewhat slow. Just up the road in Ninety Six The Patriot has mini verdae greens and they are generally outstanding... firm, fast and not a bit patchy. I think you will be really happy with the m-v greens when they are completely established.

Rhett is a Clemson man....I am sure they will be pure in no time
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 07:20:17 AM »
J Mc - thanks for the lead on The Patriot - I have not heard of it.  JC

Paul Payne

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 08:26:10 AM »
Adam,

One easy way to access Palmetto is to stay at the Wilcox Inn. It is a wonderful hotel (by far the best in the region) only a couple of blocks away from the course. It is a short walking distance to downtown and the garden as well. They used to carry their own membership for guests and would arrange tee times for you. It would be worth a call to see if they still offer this service.

Cheers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back