News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Coral_Ridge

Only going to be in San Francisco for a couple of days.  Can only play 18 holes of public golf.  Where do I play and why?  I've heard of most of the courses, but want to ask those here for some insight.

Jed Peters

Re: Where to play one public round in San Francisco (the city)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:12:14 AM »
Harding in SF proper, Pasatiempo if you're willing to drive an hour.

I don't think there will be much argument on this.

Oh yeah, and is this the first time this has been posted?

Coral_Ridge

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
Pasatiempo is one of my favorite golf courses which I have played, but this round will be in San Francisco proper. 

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 12:37:21 AM »
This feels like a hint.

It sure ain't my place.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:39:23 AM by Wayne_Freedman »

Ed Oden

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 12:52:40 AM »
Jon, I was just in SF this past week and had the same decision.  I couldn't spare the time to drive to Pasatiempo.  So I played Harding Park and had a really enjoyable day.  It might not be great, but nonetheless is a very solid course.  They are, however, doing some bunker work and had a handful marked as ground under repair.  Otherwise it was in good condition.  I liked the fact it was an easy walk.  Pace was a little slow (4.5 hours).  All in all, a fun tract that I would have no problems recommending.

Ed

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
Jon,
    I haven't seen the new version of Harding, but that is probably the first choice. Harding is on decent land and is a pretty good test of golf. Presidio would be my second pick if it hasn't rained in the couple of weeks prior to playing. Presidio has some interesting land and holes that go in all directions and plenty of up and down. Lincoln Park would be the third choice. It is shortish but has a little quirk and the par 3 along the Golden Gate with the view of the bridge isn't a bad option and will be the cheapest of the 3.
   If you can be convinced to get out of the city I would go to Metropolitan Golf Links next to Oakland Airport. Best architecture dollar for dollar you will find close to SF.
   Good luck.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 02:43:45 AM »
Consider Gleneagles.  Here is what the course website says...

"Best public golf course in San Francisco" -- S.F. Weekly "2007 Best of San Francisco"

"Built in 1962, Gleneagles GC in McLaren Park is a challenging course that has quietly become one of San Francisco's purest golf experiences.  Located at the far southern point of The City, Gleneagles GC is home to tough topography, slick greens, and one of the finest 19th holes in all the golf kingdom. 

"Choose to discover this piece of local links history, and you'll be on your way to a cherished golf course.  There aren't any big signs, fairways visible from neighboring streets, or hype of any kind.  Just a hard player's course, that's been home to everyone from City mayors, low digit players, and a loyal crew of golfers who only speak of it in whisper.

"Nine regulation holes with 18 different tee boxes are enough to test the mettle of the shrewdest shot maker.  The sprawling bay vistas, Cypress lined fairways, and fast greens have hooked a devoted following who keep a watchful eye on newcomers for fast play and religious repairing of divots and ball marks."

I played there a number of times in the late 1980's.  Thoroughly enjoyed the course.  Hear it's in better shape now, too.  Maybe some locals can comment. 

One other advantage of Gleneagles: according to the website, 18 holes costs just $23 Money thru Thursday.   

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 08:01:54 AM »
Harding Park
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Keenan

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 08:49:12 AM »
Harding is the best choice for a public course in The City

I am a Gleneagles fan but I would be hard pressed to send someone there given the local environment. It is quirky but a great place to play but not if that is your  only course in SF.

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:43:11 AM »

I am a Gleneagles fan but I would be hard pressed to send someone there given the local environment. It is quirky but a great place to play but not if that is your  only course in SF.

John

Tough to argue against Johns comments....And "local environment" is being very very kind.

Jon the public pickings are pretty slim in San Francisco and the penisula in general.

Reef Wilson

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:54:29 AM »
Pace was a little slow (4.5 hours).

I play Harding all the time and this is actually pretty good pace for Harding. Unless you play very early on the weekend, you can count on it being even slower. Lately they seem to be doing a better job of monitoring pace but it is still an issue. But, I find there is mostly a high caliber of player here (very few locals takes carts) so the waits can usually be filled with decent conversation.

You should have no problem getting out quickly as a single, just check if there are any tournaments before you go out there. I mostly go out as a single and have rarely had to wait more than 30 minutes to get on.

Of course, as a non-resident you will pay a premium, but if you plan on watching any of the Presidents cup next year, there is another reason to go out there. It's always fun to watch a tournament on a course you have played. (That's why they are working on the bunkers.)

If Harding seems too costly and it is a clear, pretty day, Lincoln Park is worth a shot. The views can't be beat even though the length, conditioning, pace and architecture are down a few notches.

Reef

Tim Leahy

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 01:42:08 PM »
Harding, the Presidio, Lincoln Park, and Gleneagles in that order. Conditions may not be great at Lincoln, but the views are priceless.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Reef Wilson

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »
Re: Presidio

They just punched the greens there. And with the customer service there you would likely not know this until you get to the first green after paying full price. I have an entire rant about the service, but I will spare everyone. The course is actually good fun when it is dry and I really want to like playing there but I just can't. I live 5 minutes away and have had 2 free passes for a year and haven't used them. I do go to the range there as there is not much other option for me.

Reef

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 10:21:57 PM »

John

Tough to argue against Johns comments....And "local environment" is being very very kind.

Jon the public pickings are pretty slim in San Francisco and the penisula in general.

What's going on at Crystal Springs these days?  Any Herbert Fowler left there?  (Just kidding!  ;) )

Coral_Ridge

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »
I appreciate all the comments about where one might play their only public round in San Francisco.  I can know make what I'd call a very educated guess on this upcoming round.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 12:43:23 AM »

John

Agree with the above.  I am also a big fan of Gleneagles, and a high school classmate of mine runs the place now.  But the surroundings call to mind The Wire (though I pay no heed to warnings about being mugged on the 4th and 5th holes...those stories are as old as the hills), so I wouldn't send and out-of-towner there for their only round.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 01:46:06 AM »
Kevin:  that was my point when Gleneagles was discussed before; that is, that perhaps the mugging stories might be exaggerated (or even fabricated) but nevertheless, the surrounding area isn't for the faint of heart, and thus I would not advise tourists to venture out there, as much fun as the course is if that can be put aside.  Cool we've come to agreement; I didn't think that was the case before.

I'm not sure I'm on board with Harding as the recommendation here.  How much do you want to pay?  It's not exactly cheap.  If you are a bit more adventurous and/or have a sense of humor, you could get a lot more bang for your buck - and see some of the best views to be seen in the City - playing Lincoln Park.  But you'd have to look the other way at shoddy conditions.

Harding will have decent conditions and cost you $90 or so for a generally uninspiring course that was recently and soon will be played by PGA Tour boys.  Lincoln will have shoddy conditions, cost you $35 or so, and offer great views and show you as much quirk as can be seen in this country.  You choose what you want to do.  It depends on what you're looking for.

TH

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 02:44:47 AM »
I'm 20 years removed from the SF golf scene.  That said, I had zero problems of any kind at Gleneagles. 

Several times played into late afternoon: the guys in the pro shop were pretty relaxed and often didn't even charge us for those extra holes. 

IMO a MUCH better course than Lincoln Park. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 09:05:09 AM »
Well, as I say it depends on what one looks for in a golf course.  Lincoln Park is an acquired taste for sure.  Just ask yourself where you'd send a tourist (which does seem to be the question here - not which is the better golf course).

I can't in good conscience send a tourist to Gleneagles.  Lincoln Park?  Heck at the very least he gets the great views. 

Remember too Gleneagles is 9 holes.  He may or may not want to play 9 holes twice as opposed to 18 different holes.

Oh well.  My main point remains I am not as thrilled with Harding as many here.  I've played it twice since the remodel and came away quite underwhelmed both times.  But, in these choices... well... if he as to stay in the confines of the city, it is the safest choice.  That is, there's nothing overly controversial about the course, save perhaps the price.

TH

John Keenan

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 09:08:47 AM »
Bill

With regards to Crystal Springs I am headed there on Sunday. Aerification is in progress but they were quite open to tell me. I think they are a good deal at $55.00 per person. With the risk of being drawn and quartered by many here that does include a cart.  I will let you know how it is. My last visit was 5+ years ago at an alumni best ball outing. Fun day but little attention was paid to the course of the condition.

All,

Regarding Gleneagles the stories are legend but the one that I heard most recently was about a new years eve fire pit that some of the locals created in the sand traps on 4-5. Seems to greatly slow down the early tee times on New Years day. Is it all true who really knows but sadly I could see it occurring.

I agree with Tom on Gleneagles great spot but not the one I would send a tourist to for one round in the City. Harding (despite cost) Presidio, or even Lincoln before the quirkiness that is Gleneagles.

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »
Yeah, the more I think of it, the safest bet is Harding even despite the cost.  Lincoln puts the q in quirk, and conditions are often so bad, well... it does take a sense of humor to have fun there, even with the views.  The average tourist could hate it.  Presidio I like a lot better than Harding, but again, it's also not everyone's cup of tea.  Harding is a solid PGA tour course.  Most will like it the best.

So, Harding it is.

I just know if it's Dan King, or Rich Goodale, or many other regulars from this site (no tourists be they, but work with me here), I do not recommend Harding.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 06:49:48 PM »
Bill

With regards to Crystal Springs I am headed there on Sunday. Aerification is in progress but they were quite open to tell me. I think they are a good deal at $55.00 per person. With the risk of being drawn and quartered by many here that does include a cart.  I will let you know how it is. My last visit was 5+ years ago at an alumni best ball outing. Fun day but little attention was paid to the course of the condition.

I haven't played Crystal Springs for probably 35 years, but that was after the butchering of the original layout to build I-280 through there.  The "new" holes are up at the top, terribly exposed to the wind, and are pretty bad.  The best holes and terrain are on the north of the property, with some pretty wild areas.  If it's in good condition it could be fun, but those replacement holes aren't up to the level of the original Herbert Fowler stuff.

Coral_Ridge

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 09:58:36 PM »
A small recap since I opened this thread. 

On this one day golf outing to play golf in San Francisco I decided to play Harding Park.  Next time I would like to play Gleneagles in the morning and then Lincoln in the afternoon.  That is doable in my estimation.

I enjoyed Harding Park very much.  The setting is outstanding.  The greens were in good condition as was the rest of the course.  The rough was easy to play from.  When they ready the course for the Presidents Cup there in 2009, it will be interesting to see how narrow the fairways will be and how tall the rough will be.  The greens played very slow and didn't have much undulation IMO.  Thanks again to all for their advice on the public golf in San Francisco.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back