News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Verticutting Question
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »
How long does it typically take greens to recover from verticutting and topdressing?

Dean Paolucci

Re: Verticutting Question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »
It depends on type of grass, time of year, temperature, etc.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Ryan DeMay

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 12:32:01 PM »
Evan,

The answer to your question is dependent upon a myriad of factors.  Location, type of grass or grasses present, weather forecast, fertility, the type of verticutting being done, etc. are necessary pieces of information for a specific answer. 

If regular light verticutting has been done it should heal up in relatively short order.  If a Graden or Sisis has been used to verticut it while take a little while longer to heal than traditional verticutting.  Here in Ohio, on bentgrass greens we  heal over from a Graden operation in 7-14 days.  Usually by day seven the lines are hardly noticeable, and by day 14 you cannot even tell we did anything. 

The best way to get this question answered is by the superintendent of your club.  I am sure he would be more than happy to give you more information on the process and the events preceding and following than you will ever want to know.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 06:21:54 PM »
Like the others have mentioned, there are a large numbers of factors that influence recovery.

I feel that correct verticutting(not scarifying) should have no noticeable affect on putting quality within 2-3 days of treatment. The lines may still be faintly visible for up to a week. Any longer than this and the chosen treatment was probably too severe. The desired frequency of application, depth, blade width, blade spacing and sand thickness should all be determined based on the current growth conditions and potential recovery and adjusted accordingly. It is important to match the treatment to the existing conditions as what was appropriate last time may not be suitable next time.

Verticutting is a cultural procedure that is best carried out lightly and frequently to obtain the best results.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »
Grant, I agree...2-3 days and you shouldn't notice...especially if the top dressing was light...and you are applying water...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:13:59 PM »
We verticut Tif Eagle at less than an eighth of an inch deep and it's not even noticeable that afternoon.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 08:14:41 PM »
We verticutt and lightly topdress on a weekly basis

Chris Tritabaugh

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »
How long does it typically take greens to recover from verticutting and topdressing?

As a Superintendent I would also encourage you to speak with the Superintendent at your golf course.  We Superintendents are a very knowledgeable lot and he can probably explain the situation on your course as well as anyone here.  I do not want to sound like this is the situation at your course but sometimes Superintendents put themselves in a bad situation with their members by not communicating with them about various practices.  The members then lose faith in their Superintendent and start "asking around" to get the answers to their questions.  IMHO, communication is the #1 most important part of my job.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back