News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

The Unwatchable Masters of 2008 -- deadly dull !
« on: April 14, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
Yesterday I did something I have never done with a Masters Championship. I shut off the TV just as Trevor and the gang that could not shoot straight was coming down the stretch with roughly six holes to go.

This year's event was the DULLEST in memory.

There was no real action of consequence.

No doubt the Sunday weather played a role but it's more than just that -- the degree by which Augusta is now prepared for such events is no longer the same Augusta of years past when exciting swings -- those made from superb play as well as those provided by competitors gagging on themselves -- were more often the norm.

I was struck by the lead-in programs on both Saturday and Sunday. You could still feel the tension and excitement from so many of those events from years ago. This year's event -- and you can throw in last year's as well, were simply unwatchable golf.

Hats off to Trevor but the 2008 Masters / Augusta was something that
made me wince -- the so-called "improvements" have only served to undercut the nature of what Augusta did so well for so long and that is provide great golf theater.

If this is the sign of the future I'm all in favor of the curtain crashing down on this April party.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: The Unwatchable Masters of 2008 -- deadly dull !
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »
There is nothing dull about the Masters to me.  Trevor won with relative ease but I was thrilled by each and every moment as always. It is one of the great pleasures in life to watch the best try to manage those green complexes.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:39:36 AM »
Perhaps the TPC really IS the new Major...the 4th one, not the 5th.

Ugh...

JESII

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
Matt,

Be honest, when did you find out Immelman hit it in the water on 16 with a 5 shot lead? Honest now...

tlavin

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 11:46:51 AM »
Yesterday I did something I have never done with a Masters Championship. I shut off the TV just as Trevor and the gang that could not shoot straight was coming down the stretch with roughly six holes to go.

This year's event was the DULLEST in memory.

There was no real action of consequence.

No doubt the Sunday weather played a role but it's more than just that -- the degree by which Augusta is now prepared for such events is no longer the same Augusta of years past when exciting swings -- those made from superb play as well as those provided by competitors gagging on themselves -- were more often the norm.

I was struck by the lead-in programs on both Saturday and Sunday. You could still feel the tension and excitement from so many of those events from years ago. This year's event -- and you can throw in last year's as well, were simply unwatchable golf.

Hats off to Trevor but the 2008 Masters / Augusta was something that
made me wince -- the so-called "improvements" have only served to undercut the nature of what Augusta did so well for so long and that is provide great golf theater.

If this is the sign of the future I'm all in favor of the curtain crashing down on this April party.

Matt,

I'm with you that it was a snoozer of a telecast, but don't let nostalgia get the better of you in terms of the '78 Masters show.  I don't pine for the days of Rod Funseth slugging it out with Hubert Green while wearing identical green sansabelt slacks and green striped shirts!  I like the old days as much as anybody, but the reality of that telecast is that Player played solidly and the rest of the contenders gagged badly down the stretch.  A lot of those roars were groans as Watson, Green and others shoved makable putts under pressure.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »
Matt; I think  part of the reason for the boredom is how they cover the tournament.  The only question was if Immelmann was going to implode and that's not exciting - it's also not exciting to watch a player view his putt from every possible angle or spend an eternity trying to figure out what club to hit - they did have opportunities for the announcers to shut up and allow you to hear the discussion between the players and caddies but they decided to talk over it.  Instead of watching a guy look over his putt why not go to another player and watch him hit his shot even if he's not going to win. 

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 11:59:14 AM »
Can't say I thought it was terribly exciting, but I did enjoy watching Immelman's fine play. I wish Tiger had made a few more, but the many he missed were not due to any changes in the course.

3 cheers for Snedeker, hope to see him and his no-frills-standing-over-the-ball swing again soon.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »
Matt
Whilst I think your thread title may overstate the issue it was certainly not gripping TV here in the UK.

With a five hour time difference in the UK the Masters has always seemed to offer exciting Sunday evening viewing.  Not so for the last couple of years at least.  Whereas it would be an exaggeration to say that previous years have been birdie fests there has always been someone who has made a charge at the field over the back nine.  Yesterday it was simply a matter of whether the leaders would come back to Tiger whilst he stood still.

With the excitement of competition at the top of the leaderboard lacking lacking the other aspect which made for difficult viewing was the pace of play.  Maybe its my mind playing tricks but I am  sure I can recall watching Lyle, Faldo, Seve etc winning and still being in bed for midnight.  Last night I called it quits when Immelman was safely on the green at 15 with a five shot lead at 11.45pm having teed off at 7.30.  Over four holes and still not completed 15 holes!  I assume they didn't complete the round within five and a quarter hours?  For a two ball that is simply pathetic. 
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

tlavin

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:01:51 PM »
Can't say I thought it was terribly exciting, but I did enjoy watching Immelman's fine play. I wish Tiger had made a few more, but the many he missed were not due to any changes in the course.

3 cheers for Snedeker, hope to see him and his no-frills-standing-over-the-ball swing again soon.

Excellent thought about Snedeker.  The PGA Tour needs a few good young men to stand up and impress AND entertain.  There are precious few happy go lucky types with talent on the tour and he would be a welcome presence more regularly in the winner's circle.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 12:02:37 PM »

George,
The ONLY thing quick about Snedeker is actually hitting the ball.  He took a zillion practice swings from behind, and his total preshot routine time had to be every bit as long as Immelman's.  Together, they were mind-numbing.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Pitner

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »
Matt,

What changes at Augusta would you like to un-do?  Personally, I don't care for the rough and some of the lengthening (on #7 for instance) and some trees could be removed.  However, I like how #13 and #15 play these days.  They're not automatic birdies--you need to hit a good drive--yet eagles are still possible and there are more choices to be made. 

I like to see a more competitive tournament, but I don't think this year's Master's was any less entertaining than some of Tiger's runaways in other majors.  Immelman is a worthy champion--he was a top player in Europe and he's been a young player to watch for several years--and, despite his mistake on #16, showed some mettle, especially the putt on #11, getting up and down on #17 and hitting out of a wicked divot on #18. 

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
He did seem to slow down on Sunday, which makes me wonder if that wasn't part of his problem.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »
Matt
Whilst I think your thread title may overstate the issue it was certainly not gripping TV here in the UK.

With a five hour time difference in the UK the Masters has always seemed to offer exciting Sunday evening viewing.  Not so for the last couple of years at least.  Whereas it would be an exaggeration to say that previous years have been birdie fests there has always been someone who has made a charge at the field over the back nine.  Yesterday it was simply a matter of whether the leaders would come back to Tiger whilst he stood still.

With the excitement of competition at the top of the leaderboard lacking lacking the other aspect which made for difficult viewing was the pace of play.  Maybe its my mind playing tricks but I am  sure I can recall watching Lyle, Faldo, Seve etc winning and still being in bed for midnight.  Last night I called it quits when Immelman was safely on the green at 15 with a five shot lead at 11.45pm having teed off at 7.30.  Over four holes and still not completed 15 holes!  I assume they didn't complete the round within five and a quarter hours?  For a two ball that is simply pathetic. 
It gets worse.  You may recall I have suggested that we find a suitable bar in Fife on the Sunday of BUDA VI to watch the climax of the US Open.  Only if you don't sleep.  The US Open is due to finish, I learn from Geoff Shackleford's blog this morning, at 7pm Pacific Time.  That's 3 in the morning for us and we KNOW, that 7pm is optimistic with modern "speed" of play.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 01:04:35 PM »
Matt

It gets worse.  You may recall I have suggested that we find a suitable bar in Fife on the Sunday of BUDA VI to watch the climax of the US Open.  Only if you don't sleep.  The US Open is due to finish, I learn from Geoff Shackleford's blog this morning, at 7pm Pacific Time.  That's 3 in the morning for us and we KNOW, that 7pm is optimistic with modern "speed" of play.
Mark
In Scotland in mid June it could well be daylight by the time the US Open finishes.  A chance for an extra 18 holes?  Or perhaps go staight from the bar for the Monday morning triathlon that Rich alluded to recently?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 01:13:27 PM »
For all of the complaints about obscene lengths created by technology and yet the final round of the Masters is unexciting because:

1- Tiger didn't win
2- The two main competitors were among the shorter hitters in the field
3- Tiger didn't win
4- 13 & 15, once again as last year, were played as three-shot par-fives by the winner
5- Tiger didn't win.

Question. Why is Tiger's 12-shot win considered "One for the Ages" that needs to be watched repeatedly rather than a foregone conclusion and a boring afternoon because not only did no one challenge, but they all appeared to be playing a different course?

Might it simply be that the near universal expectaions of the golfing world (including his) that this would be the year of Tiger's "Real Slam" and having to face the reality that it not only wouldn't happen but that it was over nearly before it began was too much to accept?

I am the exception as I thoroughly enjoyed Sunday's final round.

tlavin

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 01:16:38 PM »

Question. Why is Tiger's 12-shot win considered "One for the Ages" that needs to be watched repeatedly rather than a foregone conclusion and a boring afternoon because not only did no one challenge, but they all appeared to be playing a different course?

I think Nantz's oft-repeated quote has more to do with the racial significance of a black man winning at Augusta.  It's companion quote (by Earl Woods), "green looks good with black" is probably a more pithy quote, come to think of it.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 01:18:53 PM »

I think Nantz's oft-repeated quote has more to do with the racial significance of a black man winning at Augusta.  It's companion quote (by Earl Woods), "green looks good with black" is probably a more pithy quote, come to think of it.

Jeez, what a sappy bunch of dreck. Either version. Blecch!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 01:26:07 PM »
For all of the complaints about obscene lengths created by technology and yet the final round of the Masters is unexciting because:

Immelman is not a short hitter--not by a long shot. 

Tom Yost

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 01:40:01 PM »
Unfortunately, I missed the Masters coverage yesterday because...  I was out playing golf at the Kapalua Plantation course in Maui!    ;D

Tom

JSlonis

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 01:42:50 PM »

Immelman is not a short hitter--not by a long shot. 

Very true.

I believe he was 4th in Driving Distance for the week and 1st in Driving Accuracy.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 02:05:22 PM »
"I believe he was 4th in Driving Distance for the week and 1st in Driving Accuracy."

Then I stand corrected. It just appeared from watching his play through the weekend that he was always further back with his drives than where the recognized longer hitters were. Combine that with his play on 13 & 15 and there is my assumption...

JESII

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »
I think the regular long drivers lost considerable distance because many of the trees deflected their drives...backwards!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 02:12:43 PM »
I hated the view of #15 (the 3D view CBS did). All of the trees pinch in from the right so there is no room to drive the ball. It looks like a tight chute 325 yards in front of the tee box.

I thought it was dull as well. I like Trevor and am glad he won, but boring TV.
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 02:19:54 PM »
JES II asked, "Be honest, when did you find out Immelman hit it in the water on 16 with a 5 shot lead? Honest now..."

Truth be told -- I saw it later on highlights on one of the sports cable shows around 11:00 PM. My wife's birthday is today and I had the time (thanks to the dullest Masters in recent years) to head out and use the available time for some interesting gifts. My Masters downer turned out to be a plus for my wife ! Thanks to Trevor and all that fantastic action ...

Tim Pitner:

Good question ...

In order --

1). Bag the second cut.

2). Eliminate all trees since planted after Tiger's '97 win. This is especially the case with the 11th and 15th holes, to name just two.

3). Bring back into play tee boxes that can force the average length hitter to really contemplate going for the green in two at #13 and #15. The added length and narrowing of the fairways has reduced what was once greater theater to nothing more than the exciting of all shots -- the 90-100 yard pitch shot. (zzzzzzz).

Tim -- check the stats regarding eagles and even total # of birdies. Both are down from the '97 event and those years that preceded it.

4). Go back to the way the former 7th was set-up -- as a 365 yard hole. The hole doesn't work as well now as it was then.

5). The 1st hole is way too long for much of the field. Again, use the former tee at 410 yards. There was nothing easy with the way the ole hole played previously.

Tim, the grand-high exalted mystice rulers of Augusta are more concerned with how the course holds up rather than understanding the great theater that was a hallmark of the design. No disrespect to Trevor who played the best but if the roster of champs is going to be a parade of Zach Johnson's and Trevor's then I'll be sure to doing something other than watch the telecast.

Oh, by the way, it's time to light a fire on the slowpokes -- Trevor and Brent took waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to fire away. So much for slow play attention.

Guys -- there was nothing broker at Augusta -- simply the overreaction by a few of the brass there to what a very small handful of players were doing.

They threw the baby out with the bath oil.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 02:20:22 PM »
Do you think that perhaps the new technology - most particularly the drivers - do not allow them to shape their drives enough to meet the demands of some of the holes?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back