News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Was Yale Raynor or C.B. Macdonald?
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:27:03 PM »
Could someone please tell me if Yale GC was the work of Seth Raynor, C.B. Macdonald or perhaps both?

It seems as if half of what I read or hear say it was Raynor while the other half claim it was Macdonald.

Thanks.
John

Mike Sweeney

Re: Was Yale Raynor or C.B. Macdonald?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »
Here is the history from the Yale website:

http://research.yale.edu/wwkelly/Yale-golf/Eras/1920.htm

My personal view is there is no way that Yale University in the 1920's would hire a Princeton engineer to build their course. They hire American golf leader CB Mac as part of the "blue ribbon panel" (according to George Bahto in his book). CB Mac has Raynor do the work, but the Yale course clearly has the CB Mac drama. His oversite was probably more off site than on. Also on the panel were Yale alumni and US Amateur Champions Bob Gardner and Jesse Sweetser.

The only Raynor course that comes close to the same drama to Yale is Fishers and on that Fishers site, how could you not have drama. Fishers came later in Raynor's career by a couple of years, he could take more risk at that point. He had already designed Mountain Lake for the same investors/developer as Fishers.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:56:25 PM by Mike Sweeney »

wsmorrison

Re: Was Yale Raynor or C.B. Macdonald?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 09:45:40 PM »
Tom Paul has been laboring many years now and is about to come up with a new theory as to the architectural attribution of Yale.  Not only that, he's assembled all the evidence to support this new theory.  If you are all really nice to him and behave yourselves, he might just let us know what he found out.  I believe he's already told Pat Mucci, but they have a blood oath not to divulge it to anyone.  I'm Tom's piss boy and he won't even tell me.  I'll tell you what, there isn't much to talk about when I'm on the job.  He just sort of whistles while I'm working and then tips me a quarter and tells me to beat it back to my hovel next to Secretariat's grandson in the barn.

That bunker fronting the green on 10 at Yale sure does look like the original right greenside bunker of the present 3rd at Merion East.  So my guess?  It was Fred Pickering with some small assistance by Hugh Wilson.  Any bets?  If I lose, I'll pay with a quarter I can fish out of my piss bucket.  :P ;) ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:49:38 PM by Wayne Morrison »

TEPaul

Re: Was Yale Raynor or C.B. Macdonald? New
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:10:22 PM »
Wayne:

As usual you're wrong! It is not piss boy as you spell it using the incorrect contour measurement. It's pissboy as I spell it using the Google Earth ruler which makes it shorter and its true length.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 11:13:43 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back