News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Wagner

Bobby Clampett at the Masters
« on: April 13, 2008, 02:45:11 PM »
Clampett's announcing of Amen Corner Live on Masters.org has been exceptional all week.  He's the only announcer on these three holes and IMO it's much better this way.  Less dumb back and forth chatter and more time to hear the players and caddies.  Instead of theme music you hear birds chirp and players swear.  Really great!  CBS would do well to just give the mic to Clampett and send the rest home next year.

Thanks for the nice work Bobby!

jeffwarne

Re: Bobby Clampett at the Masters
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 02:57:16 PM »
I enjoy him as well too.
I followed him as a kid when he was an amateur at Augusta.

No telling how good he could've been had he not drank the golf machine kool-aid.

Funny, watching the Amen Corner broadcast how often CBS would try to pass a shot off as live that I had seen as much as 2-3 minutes before.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jimbo

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 03:01:22 PM »
I can't imagine a more difficult job, so props to him for guts, and he does keep it going alright.

But does he have to be so cloying?

Also, he is a cliche machine gun.

rboyce

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »
if i had a dollar for every time he called a shot a "harbinger of things to come" i could buy a sleeve of prov1xs.

i heard a couple of F bombs on the Amen Corner live coverage as well.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 05:08:50 PM »
I can understand cliches when you're on for four or five hours without a break. Same for the guy on 15-16, whom I do not recognize. Who is it?
The more coverage, the merrier!
And CBS just showed Mickelson putting out on 15 a good four minutes after the live net coverage of his tee shot on 16.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »
CBS just faked it again on Tiger's putt on 11.
3 minute delay
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 05:22:42 PM »
Speaking of tape, Woods' birdie on 11 was shown three minutes after it happened live on Amen Corner Live. CBS was running the Jack feature, then went to commercial. The putt came out of commercial, and nobody said it was on tape.
The Woods tee shot on 12 was live, at least. As was Immelman's tee shot on 11.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 05:25:27 PM »
They used to say "moments ago" or "while we were away"

rboyce

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 05:26:24 PM »
they're trying hard to be Tiger neutral, but they know what many viewers want.

i don't mind the minimal tape delay when they show a tee shot and then cut directly to a live approach. or, they show a taped approach and then go live to the birdie putt. it adds some continuity to the coverage.

is this the year where Tiger starts facing as much competition that is younger than him as is older?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 06:05:21 PM »
I think Clampett has been fantastic.  A Vin Scully-like effort.  Kudos.

Jeff Grossman

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 08:47:26 PM »
Clampett does an excellent job...I didnt watch Amen Live on the weekend, but on Thursday and Friday I could have had a little less horticulture information ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back