News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Merion East, 10th hole: Another Piece of the Puzzle?
« Reply #950 on: April 15, 2008, 06:21:59 PM »
"Really?  Did you write in those past articles about your new theory?   That perhaps the reams of sketches came not from Wilson's trip to  Europe but from Macdonald and NGLA?  That Wison didnt go to NGLA to prepare for his trip abroad, but to talk about Merion?   That even if they didnt design Merion East, Macdonald and Whigham generally deserve a heck of a lot of credit for its creation?

Funny because I recall your your previous posts on these matters, and I detect that your position has, shall we say, evolved.   In fact, I even have copies of some of your past posts on these issues, even some you deleted.

Don't get me wrong Tom, I have no desire to play "I told you so" or to start pulling up your past posts to try and embarrass you.  But please don't insult my intelligence and the intelligence of others by frantically trying to reinvent where you stood in the past.   

It'd be much more productive to move forward.   That is what I am trying to do."

David:

Absolutely I did not. That new theory of mine came to me very early in the morning less than a week ago and as I recall I emailed it to Morrison, Cirba and Bausch and then put it on GOLFCLUBATLAS. It's on one of these threads maybe 5-7 days ago. I think you may have commented on it but I don't remember what you said about it, although I don't remember you mentioning you said the same thing a year or so ago. But maybe you did. All the recent posts are still there and nothing has been deleted. I noticed it when Shivas reposted that post of yours a few days ago. Perhaps, I'm like you with me and I sort of skim some of your posts.  :-\

My theory that Wilson may've used Macdonald's sketches and drawings is sort of borne out of my constant impression on this whole trip or manifest thing that it really may not have mattered when Wilson went abroad first regarding what happened at Merion in 1911. In other words, it has never really seemed to me it would've mattered when he went as far as what he and his committee did at Merion and as far as what was written about what they did at that time and as far as what Macdonald had done for them at that time which is contained in those reports two Wilson reports.

I'm pretty certain it was Wilson who returned from abroad on May 1, 1912 even if some of the others here may not think so. I have another reason to be pretty certain about that. I'm certainly not completely convinced that Wilson did not go earlier though.

But, in my opinion, no matter when he first went or how often he went I do not think that changes anything about who was responsible for what happened at Merion in 1911 and who did it. I really do think those Wilson reports are accurate on that score.

One of the reasons I started thinking again about how it really doesn't matter when Wilson went was when Sean Arble told me recently how he too feels about that kind of thing. I started coresponding with him on the IM and I started thinking about another alternative for those often reported stories around here for about the last hundred years, I guess, that Wilson returned from abroad with all these sketches and drawings and surveyor's maps. And then I woke up the other morning and it just hit me that maybe they just saw him returning from NGLA with them, not from abroad.

There have always been some odd anomalies in the Merion history books---eg on the one hand they mention he went abroad in 1910 and on the other hand one mentions 'this romantic story that he almost went down on the Titanic on his way home.'

For many years we've realized the Titanic went down perhaps a year and a half after a possible trip of Wilson's in 1910.

TEPaul

« Reply #951 on: April 15, 2008, 06:41:50 PM »
"Don't get me wrong Tom, I have no desire to play "I told you so" or to start pulling up your past posts to try and embarrass you.  But please don't insult my intelligence and the intelligence of others by frantically trying to reinvent where you stood in the past."

David:

Oh, on the contrary, I think you do. If you didn't you probably wouldn't have said what you just did above.  ;)

Believe me, I have no concern at all if you or anyone else can show and absolutely prove, and certainly to me, how I've reinvented where I stood in the past on any matter and any issue to do with Merion as long as you've been interested in it. Frankly, I would welcome any mis-consideration or mis-analysis or mis-interpretation I've ever been responsible for and I'm sure there've been more than a few on all the things I've tried to analyze to do with golf course architecture and golf courses.

I firmly believe this is what this stuff is all about----eg people who are really interested in this stuff and really interested in getting to the bottom of the accurate history of it all certainly do ply down some roads of inquiry and analysis they know they may misinterpret or just may miss things along the way that someone points out to them later, and shows them what they missed or how they misinterpreted something.

Frankly, the thing that most concerns but ultimately just interests good researchers are the things that they know may be out there somewhere they were not able to find that will make it necessary for them to reinterpret what they have analyzed and concluded without it. That is the very reason we actually do hope  you have something new, some new facts and historical material either we or Merion has not been aware of. Mike Cirba said the same thing and so do I. You may not believe that but it's absolutely true. We want the truth, whatever it is in the final analysis, and we really aren't concerned where it comes from or from whom. And that is the very reason we are challenging you to produce something like that if you have it.

I got that in spades from Jim Finegan, a great golf and architecture writer and history writer and researcher too. I pointed out to him how that misinterpretation of the meaning of a simple date on the "Blue/red" line topo of PV took him way down the wrong road on his interpretation on that map of Colt and Crump. He's a stand up guy, though, and he immediately understood and took it like the kind of guy he is. That wasn't easy because his PV history book had just gone to print.

So, please, get those old deleted posts or anything else you can find and show everyone on here, including me, how I reinvented where I stood in the past. Again, you will not embarrass me---I guarantee it. I welcome it and we will all learn from it I'm sure. Everybody makes mistakes in research and analysis but by all means show us all where I reinvented any postion I've had on the architectural history of Merion.

Seriously, David, it will not embarrass me. If I was wrong on something, then I was just wrong, but I would like you to point out exactly how because if you do I certainly can and will learn from it and I think others will as well. In my opinion, that's what this website should be all about!   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:57:08 PM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #952 on: April 16, 2008, 06:08:00 AM »

I got that in spades from Jim Finegan, a great golf and architecture writer and history writer and researcher too.

I pointed out to him how that misinterpretation of the meaning of a simple date on the "Blue/red" line topo of PV took him way down the wrong road on his interpretation on that map of Colt and Crump.

He's a stand up guy, though, and he immediately understood and took it like the kind of guy he is. That wasn't easy because his PV history book had just gone to print.

TEPaul, David, et. al.,

If anything, this shows us that club histories can be flawed, and, that we shouldn't automatically accept written accounts as the gospel, despite the apparent credibility of the author.
[/color]

TEPaul

« Reply #953 on: April 16, 2008, 08:45:34 AM »
"TEPaul, David, et. al.,
If anything, this shows us that club histories can be flawed, and, that we shouldn't automatically accept written accounts as the gospel, despite the apparent credibility of the author."

Patrick:

You're not kidding! The thing with Finegan and his interpretation of the date on the "blue/red line" topo is important to particularly such as us but I'm not sure it's all that important in the broad scheme of things. Being around PV and its members as much as I have and as long as I have I've been aware that their perception of what Colt did and what Crump did has pretty much covered the entire spectrum. Some have thought Colt routed and designed the course and Crump just spent years building it to that routing and design. Others weren't even aware of Colt and thought Crump basically did everything. The truth and accurate history is it was neither and finally unraveling the meaning of that "blue/red line" topo and corroborating the story it tells with all kinds of other material (particularly Tillinghast's ongoing writing) via an ongoing timeline tells the story in detail and very accurately of what Colt did and Crump did.

With this trip thing or manifest thing with Wilson and Merion it probably isn't of much significance at all because it seems like no matter when he went that just won't change the truth of what he and his committee did at Merion East, including the truth of what Macdonald/Whigam did which I believe is accurately contained in the Wilson reports. As far as I can tell the club's histories has always been aware of the odd anomalie of the reported 1910 trip and the story of him almost going down on the Titanic which happened perhaps two years later. It seems the club just never thought that anomalie would have much influence on the truth of the early creation of Merion East and what the Wilsons reported in that vein.

I, for one, agree with that completely. This trip or manifest thing is nothing more than trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

But if this website and Merion want to know something that really did promote a reinterpretation of the architectural history of Merion nothing on these threads can touch the significance in that vein of what Wayne Morrison produced on the architectural history of the courses concerning William Flynn's part and significance. Those plans that were found in a barn in Bucks county where they had been for over half a century helped tell that story and created that reinterpretation entirely. That is what anyone can and should call a massive reinterpretation of the story of who was also responsible for Merion East.

And why didn't those Wilson reports give him more credit for what he did? Because those reports primarily focus on the first year or so of the construction of the Merions and at that point he didn't have the influence and the roll he did later from about 1916 on

TEPaul

« Reply #954 on: April 17, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
David:

Two days ago you said to me:

"Funny because I recall your your previous posts on these matters, and I detect that your position has, shall we say, evolved.   In fact, I even have copies of some of your past posts on these issues, even some you deleted.

Don't get me wrong Tom, I have no desire to play "I told you so" or to start pulling up your past posts to try and embarrass you.  But please don't insult my intelligence and the intelligence of others by frantically trying to reinvent where you stood in the past."

And two days ago I said to you:

“Oh, on the contrary, I think you do. If you didn't you probably wouldn't have said what you just did above. 

Believe me, I have no concern at all if you or anyone else can show and absolutely prove, and certainly to me, how I've reinvented where I stood in the past on any matter and any issue to do with Merion as long as you've been interested in it.”

David:

I’m waiting for you to show me why and how you recall how any of my positions on the architectural history of Merion has changed. You say you have copies of some of my past posts on these issues, even some I deleted? Could I please see those posts or even one of them that shows how or why any position I’ve had about Merion’s history has changed because of anything you’ve ever said or produced? If you either can’t or won’t produce anything like that then you probably shouldn’t say such a thing, don’t you think?

The irony here seems to be that basically you and I may’ve thought very similarly about Merion’s history all along. If you don’t think so it would be very helpful of you, at this point, to point out why you don’t think so.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back