News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Connor

Bull's Bay private/public/private
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:00:01 PM »
I just noticed in

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewstranz.html

that Mike Strantz says "... when I first got involved with our current project, Bull’s Bay (then called Seewee Bay), it was a private, equity club situation. With the design process well underway, the ownership changed and the golf course then became public."

But Bull's Bay is private.   I'm just curious when it switched back.  I assume it was before it even opened.

Also I was planning to write the club since I'm heading north for a Tot Hill Farm / Tobacco Road trip this summer.  Does anyone know they're guest policy (especially for Strantz admirers)?

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Jason Mandel

Bulls Bay
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:03:49 PM »
Jason,

I'm not sure of the public vs. private situation there.

I would guess the club may be accomodating as they sure were nice people down there.  Bulls Bay is a special, special place and I would make every effort to get see the place.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jay Flemma

Re: Bull's Bay private/public/private
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 12:23:04 AM »
Jase, IM me and we'll talk.  You'll love it and they are accommodating...the place is a shrine to Mike's memory.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 11:35:50 AM »
I don't know what their "public/private" situation is but the course is a MUST PLAY.  It is really underated.  I liked it better than Tobacco and Royal New Kent.  Again, there were a few quirky holes (2 & 13) but it really fit the land well.

-Brian

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »
I played it a few years back with a couple of original members.  They told me that the course was built with the intent of it being a member owned private club but they were not able to sell enough memberships to make it work.  A very successful plaintiffs' lawyer came in and bought the club and it is still private but there is a single owner. 

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 11:17:03 PM »
i am lucky enough to have the course record there, and the members treat me like i am a member myself. obviously i love the course, and i'm surprised it has remained so under the radar. its so so gorgeous, especially early in the morning and late in the afternoon...

Brock Peyer

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »
i am lucky enough to have the course record there, and the members treat me like i am a member myself. obviously i love the course, and i'm surprised it has remained so under the radar. its so so gorgeous, especially early in the morning and late in the afternoon...

Bryce, congrats on the course record, what did you shoot?

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 09:24:57 PM »

Brock Peyer

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 10:40:38 PM »
perfect greens+ hot putter= lots of birdies ;D

Art Roselle

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 12:12:08 AM »
Maybe for you.  Somehow, perfect greens + hot putter does not equal 62 for me.  Good work.

There are some members of Bulls Bay here in Charlotte, but it is surprisingly under the radar, even here.  Compared to the amount of buzz I hear about other courses along the Carolina coasts (Yeamans, Colleton River, Kiawah, Long Cove, etc.), Bulls Bay almost never comes up.  Most people do not even know it is there, even if they drive past in on route 17 10 times per summer.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 08:57:55 AM »
It is still private but very cheap to join.  It may be Stranz' best.  JC 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »
It is still private but very cheap to join.  It may be Stranz' best.  JC 

Uh...

$50,000 national, $75,000 local membership, according to their website.  Monthly dues are quite low, however.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back